• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Robbed in Waterloo London UK

Str1xt

Renowned Member
26/2/19
Even in 2018 London had a higher murder rate than New York.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
This 100%, it’s a big city so crime does happen (sorry to hear your incident OP, hope you’re okay) but it is still a safe place, particularly as a tourist where you likely will be staying close to central London or major landmarks.

I wouldn't say 'This 100%'.

I've lived here for 25 years, and been OK.

But what I would say about London is that trouble can find you a lot easier.

Based on who I know socially and at work who have been mugged, it is much more of an issue for foreign people.

I think thats a lot to do with when you're born and bred here you look less of a mark - you're more streetwise, even if you're not aware of it.

If you're a tourist near a central / major landmark you're a target - just like you would be in any city.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seefeld

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I wouldn't say 'This 100%'.

I've lived here for 25 years, and been OK.

But what I would say about London is that trouble can find you a lot easier.

Based on who I know socially and at work who have been mugged, it is much more of an issue for foreign people.

I think thats a lot to do with when you're born and bred here you look less of a mark - you're more streetwise, even if you're not aware of it.

To be fair, I've never been in such a situation, not even remotely. On the other hand, I usually tend to listen to my instincts and never get myself into scenarios where this could happen.

Taking a look at some articles, it actually turns out crime rate is not as high as it used to be in the early 2000s, so there you go. What probably happens is that knowledge about luxury watches have become more widespread, you can see articles about Royal Oaks and Richard Mille everywhere. Before that all targets used to be Rolex, now anyone can target an AP or RM.

Still, I'd rather raise my kids elsewhere, thanks ;-)

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Even in 2018 London had a higher murder rate than New York.

Are you sure?
According to the internet, London is pretty safe statistically speaking compared to a lot of other major cities:

efaadc7a89ae94360722be4d8bc110e6.jpg

0c1d3955091e53d2feb05053a60b1427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I wouldn't live there for free. Obnoxious bunch. Rude, self absorbed lot.

Well this is getting a hit out of point, huh? I loved every single day I lived in London and if childcare wasn't incredibly expensive we would still be living there. I don't think comments like yours add anything positive to this discussion...

Reactions: Pietros

Str1xt

Renowned Member
26/2/19
Well this is getting a hit out of point, huh? I loved every single day I lived in London and if childcare wasn't incredibly expensive we would still be living there. I don't think comments like yours add anything positive to this discussion...

It's an opinion. Positive or negative.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Hi all,

I had just got a Richard mille r27 today and was walking along lower marsh in London when a group of 4 guys came at me from behind tackled me down and took the watch. Just some advice for all Londoners with more conspicuous watches.

Take care out there.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk
I hope you are OK.. May I ask what time? And which day is it?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Hi mate. Really sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. I hope you are okay.... Thank you very much because you cared to bring this to our attention and warn us all about this issue even though you have just had a traumatic experience.

I think this is also an eye opener against buying expensive gen pieces. You risk a lot if you come in such a situation. If it's a rep you'll just hand it over. If it's a gen you'll fight for it, risking your life.

Sorry that you had to go through this. Have a good recovery.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
For those overseas - please don't think that London is some kind of warzone - it really isn't. There are opportunistic pricks all over the world.
It really is. I don't know where you're living but this is not happening in ghettos. This is happening in central. Mayfair, Bond, you name it, it has happened. Wankers are following certain clientele to their place to rip them off.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Next time I am in London. I am gonna be wearing a G-Shock and a T-shirt that says "I am wearing a G-Shock don't mug me Please, Thank You."

Last edited:

Seamusflood

I'm Pretty Popular
29/8/16
To fair you have to be sensible in any city running around with expensive good on display. London is safe. Ive never had a problem or know anyone you has been robbed.
Relax and come visit the city :)

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Sorry to hear that, hope you are ok, that sucks and from past experience I know it can put a dent in ones ego, feeling defenceless against these scum, my brother was in Brazil when two guys just walked up to him and said "give us your watch", he basically just had to take it off and give it to them, cost him a GMT!! And just for the record i'm a Brit who has worked in London a lot and mostly it's a shithole, (and that was 25 years ago!) so God knows what it's like now?? Which is why I now live in regional Australia.... 1000 times safer!