• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch tools

mishka

Known Member
14/11/06
Hi guys!

I've been thinking of getting some basic watch tools.

Nothing exciting ...just something to resize bracelets and things like that. (I've been going to a watch smith for sometime to get this done, but it's getting expensive :cry:)

Any suggestions on where to pick up some cheap and basic tools?

Thanks in advance.

All the best,
Mish

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
I'm not nearly the expert that most around here are, but that Pandawill set is basically the same as I've been using and works just fine.

We did this subject a couple of months ago; Narikaa posted a link to a tutorial that really helped. That is, it really helped after I'd spent an hour or so trying to figure it out on my own, finally gave up, and read it. :)

mishka

Known Member
14/11/06
Is it worth getting one of those little vices?

I'll do a search on that narika post. Thanks!

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
I think it was definitely worth it. I can actually get links taken out for free at our local WalMart, but factor in the time that it takes to drive there and wait on an eighteen year old kid (who might or might not care whether he/she winds up putting scratches all over the bracelet, because the average price of the watch he/she sizes is probably $20) to do the work. Once you learn to do it on your own, it's much easier, especially if you're going to have a few watches. And while our WalMart is liberal about their bracelet adjustment policies, I think that most places will charge you to do it. The other reason that it was worth it was because all of the watches I've bought have been gifts for someone else. So it's much nicer to be able to give them the watch and adjust it for them, rather than force them to have to go out to do it, or try to guess their wrist circumference ahead of time. So yes, even with the few watches I've bought, I'm very glad that I had the tools. If you're going to have a bunch of them, like a lot of people here, I'm sure it will be even more worth your while.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
I don't know what the names of any of those tools are. But both Pandawill sets have the tools that I'd used. Ebay has a version that's slightly less:

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-pcs-Horologe-Wat ... dZViewItem

On Ebay I search using the terms "watch link remover". That little blue gadget that pokes the pins out is the most specialized tool, and I'd originally just bought that but I did eventually find that I needed the little pliers for pulling out the pins the rest of the way and the little hammer and screwdriver for pushing the pins back in. I suppose that you could substitute other small tools, but I was glad to have the set.

gasdoc

Certified
26/11/06
Harbor Freight (seller of cheapo tools) has a couple bargin watch tools for the more advanced novice :D

But this is one of the handiest little gizmos I've got.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=3311

This little vice is a lifesaver to hold bracelets, cases and other things without marring them while you polish or whatever. It was worth it.

Hope that helps!

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
You will need an opener like the 2nd to open Rolex.
Be very careful however....I doubt the one pictured is a gen Bergeon set.
If it isn't, you will find that the 29.5 die (which is the most commonly used one) doesn't quite fit the Rolex serrations. You WILL end up damaging your case back/s!
Finally you will need to purchase another genuine Bergeon die, and modify it to fit that tool. Jules Borel have the dies (and Ofrei from memory) and the single die is about $29 -$30.
Crazy enough, all the other dies in the set fit well enough.
Offshore