• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

automatic / quartz

Chewbacca

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/11/08
This might seem like a stupid noob kind of question but are there any dealers that make reps with quartz movements as opposed to automatic movements in them?

I guess this seems like sacrilege to some people here but i recently bought a Omega GMT Seamaster rep recently that has a automatic movement. On my watch the second hand sweeps rather than clicks its way round the face (excuse my explanation :p) But when i was looking at some genuine Omega watches the other day in the shopping centre in town i was surprised to see a less than fluid style second hand movement from the genuine Omega watches themselves. This then got me to thinking are there any high end (good quality reps) that have quartz movements as opposed to automatic ones ?

Even rep automatics need servicing so on a rep in some cases wouldn't a quartz movement be a more realistic everyday option? As a example i got my mrs a j12 chanel for xmas with a quartz movement. I dread to think what she would start doing if she had a automatic movement watch, she would probably be winding it every five minutes by swinging her arms round !!

Sorry if im talking out my arse but i had to ask

Pannyforme

Renowned Member
27/8/08
hey!

of course there are :)

depends on what model actually..and nowadays majority of the high end reps either use a clone ETA automatic engine or asian 7750.quartz also are there but depends on models actually.have fun!

Chewbacca

25/11/08
Pannyforme said:
hey!

of course there are :)

depends on what model actually..and nowadays majority of the high end reps either use a clone ETA automatic engine or asian 7750.quartz also are there but depends on models actually.have fun!

thanks im new to all this (proper noob) so to be honest the whole automatic movement worries me. Couple this with the fact my day might involve physical activity than might end up shafting up the movement in a automatic watch over time.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Are you saying the gen had a smoother sweep than your rep or the other way around?

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
I can't see what's wrong with getting an automatic rep for everyday use, heck, I don't like Quartz and probably the only Quartz watches I'd ever buy are either a vintage Speedsonic or the Speedmaster X-33...other than that, NO. I've worn autos and mechanical watches both rep and gen without any issues whatsoever, even my rep chronographs with the feared A7750 are running perfectly without any issues for well over a year and a half now... my suggestion is, if the gen is an auto get the auto version rep of the gen. :)

Chewbacca

25/11/08
fakemaster said:
Are you saying the gen had a smoother sweep than your rep or the other way around?

the gen of the Omega seamaster GMT had a more solid click style movement on its second hand (at least it looked that way through the jeweller's window) and the jewellers in question is a pretty hoity toighty posh sort of place that wouldnt be selling reps. You know the sort of place where you get our own sales rep when you walk in ?

the rep i got had a more sweeping type fluid second hand motion. Which is still nice but i guess in this sense not like the gen. I still love my rep so its just a observation really.

so rep vs gen in this instance didnt match i guess , there are other watches where i think the sweeping movement looks great. I was just surprised when i saw the gen Omegas i looked at not having a sweeping second hand

So in terms of being close to the gen in my case im wondering if a different movement would suit the watch better. Its no big deal really i guess i just wondered if decent quartz watches were a red headed ginger step child or accepted. I also wondered if quartz watches were even available or of a good enough quality ?

Do autos suffer from severe everyday phsical activity too ?

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
To my knowledge the GEN Seamaster GMT has a movement inside that is based [or is] the ETA 2893-2 which beats at 28,800BPH - in other words, very smoothly, more so than the standard Asian 21,600BPH movements... so unless the Rep has an El Primero movement beating at 36,000BPH inside [**sarcasm/joking** :p] it can't be smoother than the Gen Seamaster GMT.

Chewbacca

25/11/08
guanaco said:
To my knowledge the GEN Seamaster GMT has a movement inside that is based [or is] the ETA 2893-2 which beats at 28,800BPH - in other words, very smoothly, more so than the standard Asian 21,600BPH movements... so unless the Rep has an El Primero movement beating at 36,000BPH inside [**sarcasm/joking** :p] it can't be smoother than the Gen Seamaster GMT.

ill have to try and maybe get a small mpeg using my iphone and try and post it
TBH a few of the genuine models had sweeping movements but a few of the gen omegas were also what i as a noob would describe as a less fluid more clicky type second hand motion. I was just surprised that they were not all sweepers. Im going to have to go and check in my dinner break. i wasnt trying to pull apart the rep or gens im happy with my rep but i was surprised at the gen second hand movements of some of the omega models when i passed the jewellers :D
i was probably looking at a different model of gen omega watch but it was definitely a omega gen and it was definitely a more clicky :D style second hand motion IMO maybe some are like that? But as a complete noobert i was just surprised more than anything else that a watch costing as much as the omegas do didnt have a more fluid second hand motion. Im new to all things watchlike so the smallest things are amusing me atm :p

drfcfighter

I'm Pretty Popular
19/11/06
There's a lot of Seamaster quartz, usually about a $1000 retail less than the autos. However, there are no Seamaster GMT quartz in current models. However, SMP quartz look similar to Seamaster GMT, casing wise, for the casual observer.

Chewbacca

25/11/08
drfcfighter said:
There's a lot of Seamaster quartz, usually about a $1000 retail less than the autos. However, there are no Seamaster GMT quartz in current models. However, SMP quartz look similar to Seamaster GMT, casing wise, for the casual observer.

i'll have to look again its probably my error
i tend to be a right window shop nose presser when looking at nice watches
i probably was looking at a different model. I just thought all watches that were £1000 plus were all a lot smoother with their second hand movements. Like i say all this is all new to me, so i wouldnt be surprised if its a different model (and im wrong) or one that was next to the GMT i was looking at. What i can say was it was a gen Omega and it wasnt as smooth as i thought all omegas would be. I suppose it shows you learn something everyday.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Yep, quartz watches beat once a second, so 1 big tick, pause for a full second, the next big tick.

A movement running at 28.8 would be 8 small ticks per second. Giving the illusion of a smooth sweep.

Plenty of gen Omegas, Breitlings, Cartiers, Tag Heuers, etc using quartz movements.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
This is a first. Never knew anyone who wanted their sweep hand to be LESS fluid. Usually everyone wants it faster than the gen whether it came that way or not. :p

The gen uses the Omega Caliber 1128 movement with a VPH of 28,800 and incorporates the Incabloc shock system. I don't know what movement you have but if it is sweeping smoother than the gen then you probably have either a 2824 or 2836 which use a different architecture and though they have the same VPH are a little less choppy. And since I'm psychic. To answer the question that just came into your head. No VPH and sweep smoothness do not go hand in hand. You can have 8 choppy beats a second. I've tried to explain that for years. In short it depends on the watch and the complications involved. With that said if you have one of the movements listed above there is no 'better' one you can put in there short of a real eta (which you don'y have). But even that won't solve your problem. Only a gen movement would do that.

if you read my reviews on the PO I discuss this topic. No one but you will notice that. But if it bothers you then you could switch to a 21J. Not only would it be choppier but it would also match the gen from the perspective that the date does not change over right at midnight. Honestly I wouldn't put that much effort into it.

Para

Renowned Member
24/10/08
Chris,

IMHO and at the risk causing cold and pallid skin, irregular breathing, rapid pulse, and dilated pupils in some of our fellow members, I think quartz have a legitimate place and use in the rep world :shock: [to be read as COL Kurtz in Apocalypse Now:] THE HORROOOOR!

I will remind folks, before half the rep world goes bezerk, that quartz at similar cost is more reliable and almost always more accurate. Yes, the sweeping hand will immediately give the expert eye an excuse to embarrass you in front of the whole world [again: THE HORROOOOOR!] "Look at him/her: he's got a fake one!" ... but hey, if the eye is really expert... it will be able to tell in other ways if it spends any time looking at your watch anyway (plus you may be down some serious money!). Now, as Fakey says: (I don't have the exact quote) people will more often assume that your gen is fake, than your fake is gen and most won't stick their nose that close to your hand [I don't know about you, but when that happens the individual is usually concerned about something else figuring out if my watch is gen or fake]. No, quartz offers an alternative that is both cheap and accurate (in time-keeping) and I'm glad it's around in the rep world. In fact, I placed an order a few weeks ago for a quartz Daytona: I like the look of the Daytona, don't like having any @6 problems, will want to use chrono on a regular basis and btw, sweeping or not sweeping is hard to tell on a dial barely larger than a pinhead! So get a quartz if you want to... it'll make two of us! :wink:

My $.02

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I agree with Paea. There are xome very nice quarts watches out there some of which are not exactly cheap. I was looking at a Tag a while back at the ADs that came with a 4.5g price tag. A Bvgari Carbon Gold is the best part of 2.5 grand. There are others from the likes of Seiko, Timex etc that are dificult or impossible to grt in a gen that are realy quite nice.

You want to see quartz reps? Go here: http://www.~~scamscamscam~~.com they have literly thousands of 'em. Don't buy there tho. They charge like wounded bulls. If you see somthing you like ask one of our dealers to get it for you. Hont, for one is happy to source quartz pieces at a good price.

Col.

Mod Edit: Don't Post Links to Scam Sites.