• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My first Rolex DSSD

Helmet

Known Member
4/1/09
Well I am new to the site, ive been here about 2 weeks, and loving it so far, I have had time to learn and buy my first Rolex, and boy was i suprised, for 130 bucks this is one heck of a watch, so here are my first pics of my new baby.

SpankyHam

Known Member
4/12/08
You really take great photos! The watch is very nice, but your camera work makes it look that much nicer. Bravo and congrats! :D

Helmet

Known Member
4/1/09
Thanks for the kind words Spanky the pictures gont really do it justice, the watch is a real stunner, if i had one complaint it would be the the braclet could be a little wider to fit the watch head, but that is a design issue that i will need to take up with Rolex, and since they dont return my calls I will be just fine,

jetrigger

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
16/12/07
WOW what a nice looking watch, great price too it seems.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
your insert looks better than mine does... is this the version 2?
Looks like the v3 clasp though.

nice pics too!!

welcome to RWI

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
The EV looks like a V3. Very nice and happy to have you on board.

Matt

Helmet

Known Member
4/1/09
Not sure if its V3 or not, i was lookiing at someones comparison and the helium valve looked like the V3 if that means anything, I got it from Andrew, and it is one of the most solid watches i have purchased including some of my gens

cptkirk

Renowned Member
30/12/08
Great looking watch and nice pic.
Cant wait to see what Spirit has to say. :D
Thanks for posting.

LP640

18/1/09
nice choice, but Im pissed off, I bought the V2 Replica of the DEEPSEA, and the errors just irritate me now ! lol, I hate it, even though I did take it to my genuine Rolex dealer and they thought it was real and were trying to sell me another Rolex, LOL,

but u gotta understand I paid $550 for my DEEPSEA lol. with box and postage.
(not usd. aud, which is still a lot of cash)

if I were you, I would'nt tell people the V3 is a rep. theirs no point, its 100% Identical,

D

d4m.test

Yes! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! I GOTTA GET THAT ONE, NOW!!!!!!!! CONGRATS TO YOU! ENJOY!!!

cptkirk

Renowned Member
30/12/08
Spirit. Still would like to get your fead back on this watch..

Thanks,
Cpt Kirk

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06
cptkirk said:
Spirit. Still would like to get your fead back on this watch..

Thanks,
Cpt Kirk

Sorry, didn´t see your previous post until now =)

...Well, if you´re on the fence about this one, go for it.
This V3 DEEPSEA Sea-Dweller is a really nice watch. It´s well made, but the style will depend only on your personal taste, or on what you can wear.

Me for example, first time that I saw the DEEPSEA, I thought it was a strange watch because of its bigger size (43mm) and normal Rolex Oyster bracelet (20mm) so the head (case) looked alot bigger than it was (and VERY high too).
...But now, after seeing so many watches and nice reviews spread around, it´s growing on me, and I´m definitely in love with the GUIDELOCK Oyster Clasp! I just wish the rep facotires had figured out already that the new Submariner with Ceramic Bezel should be repped with that same Bracelet, as the GENs have the same GUIDELock Oyster Clasp as the DEEPSEA has.

Afterall, the Rolex Sea-Dwellers are (or at least were) the same as the Submariners, but "tuned" to support 'deeper depths' ...But anyway, both of them are marine watches, divers watches, and as so, have the diving extension link.

The V3 DSSD in particular, got very well made, finally with the proper engravings inside the clasp, on the extension link, and the indent on the outside of the clasp. and if I hadn´t so small wrists, I would grab one for myself (hell, I´m even thinking about getting one just to add to the collection, even knowing that I will never wear it)

When the rep factories finally get round to upgrade the Submariner Ceramic with real specs, I´ll be anxiously waiting to buy one, due to it´s usual size of 40mm, like my actual Subs do.
Well, that´s it :D

Cheers,
Spirit.

D

d4m.test

HELMET! Icould NOT stand it anymore, after seeing, & lustin' after yours, & LP640 sayin' yours looked better than a $550.00 rep,............I DID IT!!!!!!!! MINE IS ORDERED!!!!!!!!!! Now to go crazy waiting for it to get on my wrist! :wink: Thanx to Spirit,Fakey, & all the rest of you that helped me deside to GO FOR IT!!!

Helmet

Known Member
4/1/09
Glad to hear i could be part of enabling you to buy a watch. It keeps the circle of life going.

cptkirk

Renowned Member
30/12/08
Thanks Helmet and thanks Spirit for addind your responses. I always loved the TT Sub but now this has caught my eye since Helmet posted the pic. By the way the price is not bad either.

steve12345

Banned
4/9/06
I need some clarification on this $ 130 watch. On Andrew and Josh web site it says it is "sythetic saphire " etc. If you look a the Swiss and ETA versions they sell it says"sapphire crystal". One guy who owns the watch said his is mineral crystal and he got his from Andrew. I then went to http://www.watcheden.com and he says his is mineral crystal.. I am no starting to believe that "sythetic sapphire" is really mineral crystal on Andrew and Josh site. I wish they would just say "mineral crystal.

Any comments?

Steve :?

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06
steve12345 said:
I need some clarification on this $ 130 watch. On Andrew and Josh web site it says it is "sythetic saphire " etc. If you look a the Swiss and ETA versions they sell it says"sapphire crystal". One guy who owns the watch said his is mineral crystal and he got his from Andrew. I then went to http://www.watcheden.com and he says his is mineral crystal.. I am no starting to believe that "sythetic sapphire" is really mineral crystal on Andrew and Josh site. I wish they would just say "mineral crystal.

Any comments?

Steve :?

I can´t be 100% to answer this question for you about the Swiss and ETA versions, but I´m pretty sure the Asia versions don´t have Sapphire. a owner of a small store here also told me (at least he´s pretty much straight about it) that the asia versions don´t have sapphire.

He told me that it´s because the domed glass is never sapphire, but I guess some Breitlings are sapphire and do have domed crystals, isn´t it?
I have seen owners of DEEPSEA v1 here complaining that the watch hadn´t that nicely domed crystal, and it was corrected on the newer versions..So, might it be that the first version had a flat crystal and sapphire, and the newer ones have domed and mineral?

Dunno...

Cheers,
Spirit.

steve12345

Banned
4/9/06
Here is a update. The Swiss ETA and Asian ETA Clone both have domed Sapphire crystal. The 21 J Asian has a domed mineral crystal with a sapphire coating. This is not as good as the first two but looks the same. I think making a domed sapphire crystal is much harder to do. I have seen Regular Rolex Subs and Seadwellers with Asian 21J now having Sapphire Crystal standard (excellent value).