• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Glashutte Senator Sixties Review

b16a2

13/1/07
Fronttopcopy.jpg

For a long time I have been looking to buy a nice and simple dress watch. Glashutte is a brand that has really grown on me since joining Timezone a few years ago. When I saw the Senator Sixties for sale on Watchmarks website I knew I had to give it a go. So, here is the review of my Glashutte Senator Sixties.

History

Glashutte has a history of making timepieces that stretches back over 150 years. The company became privatised in 1994 taking on the name of Glashutte Original. (Glashutte is a small town in Germany that means tin/silver mine.) The company now comes under the umbrella of ownership which incorporates A. Lange & Sohne

During World War II Glashutte was responsible for making watches for the Navy and Air Force of Germany.

The Senator Sixties is based on its predecessor; the Glashutte Spezimatic which was developed in the 1960’s (pictured below)

Spezimatic.jpg

The Sixties – Background Information

The new Senator Sixties was released at Basel in 2007 with a price tag of US$5600.

The Sixties currently comes in four main different dial variations (there is also a blue handed version with white gold case which is rare);

Collectioncopy.jpg

Vital Stats

Case Diameter –39mm
Case Height – 9.4mm
Strap – Louisiana Alligator Leather
Crystal – Domed Sapphire Crystal
Movement – Calibre 39 Automatic

The Sixties – Accuracy to the Genuine

Front

The first thing to note about the replica is that it measures in at 42mm instead of 39mm. Although it is bigger than the genuine, it doesn’t lose any elegance and doesn’t wear very large.

The hands are well replicated, but the yellow highlighted area shows the hour hand is a touch too long on the replica, and the blue area shows that the hands are slightly too thin.

The red areas show that the replica’s lume dots are bordered by a black outline, whereas the genuine has no border.

Generally though, the replication is very good. The dial even has the textured effect as found on the genuine (similar to the ardoise dial on the white gold IWC Portuguese)

Front.jpg

Back

Considering that the replica movement is a cheap asian workhorse, the movement itself looks very nice, however, the disparities are vast;

Firstly, the rotor has been removed making it a hand wind only, whereas the genuine uses an automatic movement.

On the genuine, the see through case back covers the movement and the retaining ring that surrounds the movement. With the replica, the retaining ring takes the form of a bezel on the outside, as depicted by the yellow area.

The red area shows that the engraving on the genuine is thicker and of a much better quality.

Back.jpg

Genuine Movement Video

[youtube]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DxNgAXDDTgo[/youtube]

Conclusion of flaws

Conclusion of flaws on front
Hands too wide
Hour hands too long
Incorrect black border on lume dots

Conclusion of flaws on rear
Engraving too thin
Caseback structure is incorrect
Movement looks completely different (but nicely finished)

Final Thoughts

The genuine
Having never seen the real thing, I cannot comment too much in this area of the review.

From the pictures I have seen of the genuine, it looks to by typical of Glashutte. A watch that gives you A. Langhe and Sohne quality for IWC money.

The Replica
You may have come to this part of the review thinking that this replication is a shambles. However, the flaws listed above are miniscule, they are not noticeable unless

1) You have the genuine next to it (unlikely) or
2) You have a hi-res picture of the gen in you pocket (obsessive :) ).

Overall this watch is a fine replication, and the build quality cannot be beaten for US$118. It definitely has the feel of a top quality watch. If you want to get a cheap dress watch then this is the watch for you!

Again, I would like to thank Watchmark for the excellent service. Communication was great throughout and he was continually helpful in answering my questions – always within time periods that were astounding!!!

Closing Pictures

P1000413.jpg

P1000409.jpg

P1000412.jpg

P1000411.jpg

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
That really is a nice looking dress watch. I like it very much. Thanks for the great review.

iwc101

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/08
I must be honest here; I'd never heard about this brand before I read this review. :oops:

But now I want one! Such a clean and beautiful watch that would go perfect for those more "dressy" occasions.

Thank you so much b16a2 for this great review on a watch that one certainly don't hear about everyday.

Cheers

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
We don't see this watch very often, I like it. Nice job with the review :D

MEYER8888

Renowned Member
19/9/07
nice rewiew on this rare rep model, the 39mm look good on you, look bigger as the reel size i find! good job as always :p thanks

jetrigger

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
16/12/07
Thanks for the review, what a great dress watch.

chrono_luv

5/12/08
Timeless elegance. A truly beautiful classic piece. Thanks for the excellent review.

koosh

30/8/08
very classy, love the typeface on the numerals. anyone have any ideas if there's a commercial typeface which replicates it?

maxlawbr

27/9/06
Nice review, as always b16a2,

I've bought this exactly watch and now I have a doubt.

I've had a lot of gen hand wind watches, and even my DSN's PAM.

When I wind them to the full charge, the crown stop to wind, but this one doesn't stop winding, or am I wrong?

I can wind it till the end, without jamming the movement? or should I stop before the crown keep to tight?

Thanks for any input.

Max

b16a2

13/1/07
maxlawbr said:
Nice review, as always b16a2,

I've bought this exactly watch and now I have a doubt.

I've had a lot of gen hand wind watches, and even my DSN's PAM.

When I wind them to the full charge, the crown stop to wind, but this one doesn't stop winding, or am I wrong?

I can wind it till the end, without jamming the movement? or should I stop before the crown keep to tight?

Thanks for any input.

Max

I think it's because it's based on an automatic movement, just with the auto module removed. Therefore it can't be woulnd so the crown stops. Just give it about 30 turns and that should do it.

maxlawbr

27/9/06
I did it this morning, give it 26 turns, and then it feels that I could wind it more, but "something" escapes every turn, seeming like 26 turns was enough.

I think this is the way to wind it.

Thanks again.

Max

robertk

16/3/06
I have this watch. It is an automatic movement that operates as a handwind. These converted movements work fine except that you can wind them into infinity w/o damage. There is no stop, but not to worry. 25-30 winds will give you about 36-40 hours.

Overall, It is a terrific watch for the money.

maxlawbr

27/9/06
Thanks a lot,

And yes, this watch is fantastic.

I bought 4 watches from Mark, an Explorer, Comex, the senator and the Glashutte Aviator.

The Senator is the best one, fantastic watch.

It is my dress watch.

Thanks,

Max

spokyboy

28/5/10
*bump* anyone who knows if any of the trusted dealers can source one of these?
Have looked through most of their sites but can't find this "clean / Less-is-more" version of the senator

Member X

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
Send them an email with a link to a picture and I'm sure they can tell you if it is available :)

Fortey

21/7/10
Has anyone had any luck finding this version? I can only find the too-large 43mm.