• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

solid gold daytona availability

gpiu

Looking Around
8/1/09
Hello everyone, I am trying to find a dealer that offers a solid gold daytona. The only websites I have found are bluefakes and globalreplica, both which don't have stellar reputations.
I would appreciate any recommendations to find one, preferably gold face.

many thanks

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
Steer clear of both of those sites that you mentioned as both are scam sites. Take a look at our trusted dealer section here. All have proven themselves to be reliable dealers. Off the top of my head TimesShops and Watch Eden both have some Daytona's worth checking out and might have waht you are looking for.

viewforum.php?f=104

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
nobody offers a solid gold daytona... even getting a "solid" gold two tone rep rolex can be sketchy from even the most reliable dealers. The only place that may have such an animal would be a place like jeweleryandwatch.com but expect to pay almost as much as the gen Rolex. They have a custom built 6263 daytona on leather for $10,500 while the gen article would prob be $30,000+

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
Well Dizzy I was thinking that he meant an all gold Daytona as opposed to a SS one. But well yeah if he's looking for a "solid gold" one then I would probably say the AD is the place to go.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I figured he was refering to solid (non plated) gold... if hes just looking for an ALL gold color daytona then YES, you will be sure to find one at just about any of the trusted dealers here on RWI

gpiu

Looking Around
8/1/09
Thanks for the quick replies. I've seen in singapore watches like this, but never on a website unfortunately. I believe they take a geneva 14kt gold daytona style watch and swap the face, crown, and clasp and you have a pretty close replica of the original for ~3.5K. Although not inexpensive, it is reasonable for a solid gold watch that would retail ~25K if genuine.

jamesg

Horology Curious
11/9/06
Talk to Angus @ Puretime - I remember him advertising some solid gold Rollie reps some time ago.

They must have been silly prices as they were listed as POA!

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Check out Hont he has 60 different Daytonas. Solid gold though, I would not hold my breath.

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Good dealers can get them. Just email them and ask for a quote.

Edit to add: They rarely put them up on their sites as the cost tends to scare people.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
i would suggest emailing Angus at puretime or peter at watchstation and see if it can be custom ordered. The problem with the Daytonas are the CRAP movements used to get the seconds subdial @ six position. OR you could find a zenith movement and make a seonds @9 daytona. thats whay i would do if i was spending that kind of $. Its still going to cost you well over 10k im sure. Building a regular stainless daytona can cost $5k easy even when you know where to source cheap parts.

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
solid gold....lets see....

close to $ 900 / ounce.

a solid case and solid bracelet in gold...i would guess.......a min. of 5000 $ alone in gold value.

no movement, crystal, dial, etc.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
If I was to buy another solid gold watch i would look for a gen day date or gen submariner. I was looking on ebay and you can get a gen day date for about $6000+ depending on condition. I bought a solid gold gen Rolex submarienr 1680/8 last year for just under $10k. Its very well worn but the 1570 cal. movement is mint. its still cheaper than building a solid gold rep daytona... something to think about anyways.

heres my 1680/8 from 1969
I suspect the dial was changed at one point becasue its not meters first and i think it should be for this serial #. Other than that a new crystal and insert was installed but i kept the originals.

CIMG1262.jpg

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
when i was working in sales ...in a gunstore - my boss sold his gen, massive gold Rolex.

incredibly heavy. he sold it in 1998 for 8000 $

i would recommend buying one on a trip in Kuwait.....cheap gold, you buy after weight....and actual day price.