• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DEEPSEA... I hate to say it, but I officially dont like it

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
rolex_logo.jpg

Well i woke up yesterday to the postman banging on my door with a package for me from EMS... WOO HOO!! i thought as i tore the package open and pulled out my new rolex Deepsea Rep from peter at Watchstation...

Now dont get me wrong.. the watch is build very well, has no problems at all and keep perfect time. Its actually a pretty good rep aside from the incorrect V3 bezel insert but i was expecting that.

My issue with this watch is the way Rolex designed it. Its just plain silly. Now maybe its because i am a "vintage" guy at heart, or maybe its that it just feels weird wearing a 43mm rolex.. i dont know. The best way to describe this watch is as a "bloated" Sea-dweller. Its like the took the 16600 and "puffed" it up. The watch for me is just too smoooth and rounded compared to the older style rolex dive watches that i love so much. The head of the watch from any angle just looks strange.. the crystal is flush with the bezel insert and the fat crown guards and thick lugs. The thing that looks the funniest to me is the fact that the dial is still the same freekin size and they just made a fatter rehaut to accomidate it.

I think they should have taken the 16600 and made it bigger but kept the proportions of the old style one. I always gave Rolex the benfit of the doubt and thought the deepsea was really cool and we just needed some time to learn to love it... well.. i need a lot more time i guess.

I dont like it.

Again the replication is great and Watchstation was awesome and shipped me a watch with no problems at all... but as a Vintage guy.. i say Rolex f**ked this one up :)

BUT... i am going to try to make it better.. i've already polished it to make it look a bit brighter. Another problem is the NON-AR coated crystal. What the hell is wrong with rolex and why cant they put AR on their watches? I can only assume it effects the readability of the dial underwater?? The domed crystal has so much glare that you can barely see dial. I am going to pop the crystal out send it for double AR... yeah i know its wrong but there is NO way i can do anything to make this watch any worse.

heres some gen pics to show what i mean.. rounded and bloated

rolex_deepsea_watch.jpg

web.jpg

oh well you never know.. maybe i'll learn to love it but god i hate these crown guards.. they are very accurate but i STILL want to take a file to them lol

on a side note... the clasp is the coolest thing i have ever seen and the guidelock syslem seems very very well replicated. Its a very cool idea.

I'll take some pics of mine later after i give it another polishing...

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
You are preaching to the choir on that one, Dizz.

Whoever greenlit that design at Rolex should get fired...

sonicwinter

Known Member
22/4/07
Dizzy, the DeepSea is a Rolex on steroids that's why it's all puffed up (with skinny bracelet for legs) :D

Still, it took balls for the Rolex masterminds (OK, used very loosely here) to green light this considering how small ALL their other models are. LOL

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I guess for a 'tool' watch its a good design.. smooth so it wont snag on anything while diving maybe? But whats the percentage of people who buy Sea-dwellers that actually dive with them them past 50-100 feet? Too mee it just looks like a lump of metal with no design.

i still dont like it. WHos the guy that designed the clasp? he should have been allowed to design the rest of it too.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
sonicwinter said:
Dizzy, the DeepSea is a Rolex on steroids that's why it's all puffed up (with skinny bracelet for legs) :D

Still, it took balls for the Rolex masterminds (OK, used very loosely here) to green light this considering how small ALL their other models are. LOL

I love the size of the watch.. just not the design. It just looks bland from most angles... It looks way better after a good polish though. The factory brushed finish was pretty aggressive.

sonicwinter

Known Member
22/4/07
Dizzy, sleep on it, mate. Or should I say, sleep with it. Then tell us the "morning-after" effect! LOL.

I guess to each his own. I'm quite split about the steriod look myself... But the DeepSea is definitely not one of the better looking Rolexes around. The Pro Hunter Daytona on the other hand... LOL

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
maybe i should send it to Fakemaster for some PVD treatment and make a prohunter Deepsea!! LOL

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
when I received mine i already posted about the window glass....I absolutely agree, the crystal is a pain.
If you pay 8000 USD for that watch and you need to look in a mirror the whole day that is not nice.

D

d4m.test

The only thing that is constant,.......is change. Some smart person said that. I am still putting a deal together(trying to anyway) to get mine,& like a lot of stuff,it looks great on paper. I hope when I get it I love it as much as I think I will. Anticapation feels better than receiving somrtimes,eh? Good Luck falling in love(lust?) with yours! :wink:

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Hey if you don't like it, you don't like it. There have been many watches I have purchased and really liked prior to receiving it. After I wear most watches for a day or so I find that they do nothing for me. This is the reason that after all the watches I have purchased I only have 11 reps at this time. As soon as I decide I do not really like it, it is gone. My Deep Sea is sitting at the house right now waiting for me to get home. I hope my reaction to it is more positive than your Dizzy, but I am not a Rolex guy at heart, so fingers crossed.

Para

Renowned Member
24/10/08
Dizzy said:
sonicwinter said:
Dizzy said:
maybe i should send it to Fakemaster for some PVD treatment and make a prohunter Deepsea!! LOL

Have a look at this... http://www.discoverprohunter.com/collection/DeepSea/

LOL

HA HA they didnt waste any time did they? lol
At least they do AR when they do the conversions.

I'd definitely send it to Fakey after you get the AR done... I have heard my wife say that black clothes make people look thinner than they are, it should work with watches too, no? :wink:

iwcforme

Known Member
5/6/08
I tried on the Gen yesterday just for kicks at my local AD. Did not like it at all. Way to big and bloated and rounded and just aaaargh. Do not know what they were thinking on this one.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
It reminds me of the 'Red October' submarine for some strange reason, guess I'd best stop licking toads...

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
My issue with this watch is the way Rolex designed it. Its just plain silly.

HAHA. That pretty much says it all. You have these guys picking on the detail stuff but overlooking the whole watch. :lol:

leetay

Known Member
Supporter
28/12/08
Hi Dizzy

You got any pics of your watch yet, would be good to see them as am thinking of getting one myself

Cheers
Lee

carnut

31/3/07
BJS says it (real one) does have A/R....

The Pro-Hunter SeaDweller DeepSea

The Pro-Hunter DeepSea is a high quality customisation of a Brand New Rolex SeaDwelller DeepSea ref 116660.

- All Black Chemical Deposition Coated Stainless Steel
- 31 jewels
- Black dial with luminous markers
- Black rotatable ceramic bezel
- 43 mm case
- Sapphire domed crystal
- Anti reflective coating on Case and Glass
- Individually engraved case back (001-100)
- Helium Gas Valve for Saturation Diving
- Fliplock Bracelet with Glidelock Clasp
- Date Function
- Waterproof to 3900m/12800 feet
- Brand New with Box and Papers
- 1 Year In House Warranty

Limited to 100 Pieces Only.

Production Started January 2009

Price GBP £11950.00

Para

Renowned Member
24/10/08
Dizzy: what is your latest take on the PVD? Will you do it or part from it? If you have the time, wait until I post some close shots of my matte PVD Fakeymariner... PVD is sharp-looking and amazingly durable. I don't have the wrist size for DeepSea; but the PVD black on all this metal is striking, IMHO.

FM: What is the rough estimate on the cost to PVD a single case & watch like this?