• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen vs. Rep MB Timewalker review

2poor4real1z

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/7/08
Here is my comparison of the Montblanc Timewalker. This is the first time I have ever attempted anything like this so please excuse. I had to take pics of the gen and rep separately. As many of you might know, I love Montblanc. I really love MB and my Timewalker might just be my favorite casual watch. I wear it more than any other and I would not be the least bit afraid to hand my rep Timewalker to anyone wearing a gen at the time for them to look at. The differences are very sublet and unless you have seen a rep, I think you would probably not notice them. So here goes....

Here is the gen.. The gen has a single coat of AR which actual does appear a TINY bit blue is you at it from the right angle.
IMG_8474.jpg

Here is the rep. No AR at all. Also take notice of the date window. The gen has much more of a "step" in it's date window. Also notice the texture of the subdials on the rep. they have those little grooved circles. Don't know why the factories decided that it was a good idea. Also, Don't know if you can tell in the pics, but the gen dial is "just more black" hard to explain and even harder to notice but it seems to be a tad bit deeper in color. Also you can't see it in the gen shot but the L-SWISS MADE -L is the exact same on both
IMG_8506.jpg

Now lets look at the all important MB Star or Snow Cap if you want to get snooty about it. Also lets look at the lugs. Notice the Star is crisp on the crown and also on the lugs. Also note the texture where the lugs are hollow. It's just the unpolished steel but it is distinct.
IMG_8475.jpg

Now the rep. Surprisingly the Star is great. It's one piece, unlike on the MB pen reps I have. The points are not as pointed, they are slightly more rounded but really all in all its a great job. The lugs are spot on. The Star and the cut out of the lugs are both excellent jobs. Nice job factory guys.
IMG_8495.jpg

The crown texture was a hard one to capture well with my camera but here is my best effort. The gen has five rows of raised squares. The last row is SLIGHTLY more narrow than the rest of them. The squares are slightly raised also. Notice the smaller pic of the underside of the crown, the indention...
IMG_8478.jpg

IMG_8481-1.jpg

The rep did a good job. It also has five rows but they are all the same width. The squares are not raised like the gen. They are more just kinda cut lines. Not really noticeable though. The indentation on the underside of the crown you see in this pic used to open the crown, is there in the gen as well. It's spot on
IMG_8496.jpg

Now the case back and rotor. The case back on the gen is pretty nice. It says lots of pretty things like the model number, WR depth and "PIX" of course. The rotor is engraved and has the numbers 4810, another MB standard and also 502. I think this is the MB caliber of movement. I would have to look in the book to be sure.
Also it is a screw down case back with six screws
IMG_8488.jpg

The rep case back is great. All the nessasary markings in all the correct places. Great, spot on fonts and everything. The rotor is not engraved but looks great none the less. It is, however, marked 502 instead of 501. No biggie but I don't think this is correct.
IMG_8500.jpg

The bracelet clasp. The gen is nice. It is very secure and strong when closed. Nice etching and not much else can be said about it,
IMG_8482.jpg

The rep is darn close. Excuse the bad pics on this one. It is a TINY bit less curved than the gen, It has the correct etchings and is pretty strong when closed. It has everything in the correct place and is really good.
IMG_8499.jpg

Lastly is the bracelet itself. I didn't get any bracelet only pics of the gen, sorry. But I will tell you this... I whole heartly believe that I can go in tomorrow and swap the gen bracelet with the rep and NEVER worry about any one but the MB service dept. being even the least bit suspicious. The bracelet is darn spot on as well.

Well thats my review. Sorry for the crappy pics but you got the just of it all. Thanks. :)

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
:mrgreen:

Fantastic job for your first review! Great effort and good pointing out the differences... this is what we need more of.

I really like the black dial, rose gold case model and I am going to shoot myself for missing out on one if I keep waiting..

again... Good Job! :D

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
I'm impressed by all the new members writing these great reviews. Good work 2poor. Thanks for the valuable info.

2poor4real1z

Banned
25/7/08
I forgot to mention that my biggest complaint when I got my rep was the color of the metal. It is darker than any other watch i have. Not as dark as average "gun metal" but not as light as, say, a YM case. Well, the color of the metal of the rep is EXACT to the color of the gen... to my eye. You can't tell them apart.

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Great job!

My friend has a gen and I let him hold mine side by side.
I asked him if it's real or fake. He had no idea it wasn't the real deal.

n00b

Horology Curious
18/11/08
Thank you for this review, its pretty much sealed the deal for me! I can blame you know for making me spend money :p

Anyone know where you can buy gen MB straps and bracelets? I have googled my rear off and cant find anywhere online. Thanks!

JMS

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/12/08
Fantastic review, I have been looking at the watch quite a lot recently and I must say it is one of my personal favourites, a great casual watch with great feedback everywhere I look.

And that replica is superb, I know exactly what you mean though about it not being as black, a friend of mine had a gen and rep of MB sport and the silver just looked more .... silver on the gen.

Cracking review!!!

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
2poor4real1z said:
WR depth and "PIX" of course.

Now you know why Montblanc is my favorite brand and why I own 3 reps :lol:

There are many cheap reps, but the high-end replication of the Timewalker series is indeed a success. Even the straps and buckles are very good.
Buy the silver dials or black + Chief's AR coating (Jakub R.I.P.), and you have a damn good watch (which dial will look black enough)
There are basically 2 obvious tells for those who know a bit about watches : the usual indented rotor screw on the rep, and the sunken DW.
BTW, isn't the recessed pusher at 10 supposed to set the date on the gen ? OR is it more like an He valve ?
Thx for raising the community's interest for Montblanc again, this brand dserves much more interest from collectors and rep makers...

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
I never really liked MB....

Always thought they looks kinda odd to wear on my wrist...
then I tried one on..

and omg...
Now I've been searching for a good Timewalker rep for quite awhile to go w/ my MB cufflinks and wallet !

If only the dial was more accurate :( (in turns of the circles...)
I'd pick it up in a heart beat!

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
I've been on the fence for once of these for a while now. I tried one on at the AD yesterday. I was sold (on buying the rep, that is. It's a nice watch, but I wouldn't plop down $4400 for it). I had to ask the sales guy if the watch had AR on it. It does have AR, but it's subtle to the point of being indistinct.

Also, does anyone know if the PVD version of this watch is a fantasy? I asked the AD guy, but (surprise) he had no idea.

2.jpg

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
seanf said:
I've been on the fence for once of these for a while now. I tried one on at the AD yesterday. I was sold (on buying the rep, that is. It's a nice watch, but I wouldn't plop down $4400 for it). I had to ask the sales guy if the watch had AR on it. It does have AR, but it's subtle to the point of being indistinct.

Also, does anyone know if the PVD version of this watch is a fantasy? I asked the AD guy, but (surprise) he had no idea.

showpic.asp

o_K2hmnVpKp0sZOqz.jpg

I believe it is.
after googling for a bit I couldn't find any sites other then Ioffer and such w/ them.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
If you want a more accurate dial, you could go for a non chrono version.

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
Pix said:
If you want a more accurate dial, you could go for a non chrono version.

You know...
as stupid as it sounds..
I didn't even think about that haha
I've been sitting here saying.. "I wish they sub dials were right ! they should have just left them off !"

haha hm I don't like the non-crono as much.. but honestly I still like it alot !
Would you have any pics or such Pix.. of how they compare to the gen?
(I've never worn a non-crono timewalker) and internet pics.. well I have a hard time seeing differences via my comp screen)

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
viewtopic.php?f=203&t=23100
Here's a review I did a long time ago.
(hope I don't hijack this topic). The GMT version has a wrong caseback, but the 3 hands version is spot on.

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
Pix said:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=203&t=23100
Here's a review I did a long time ago.
(hope I don't hijack this topic). The GMT version has a wrong caseback, but the 3 hands version is spot on.

Thanks Pix it looks great !
I don't think you jacked the thread - 2poor loves MB.. of all kinds !!
I'm sure he wouldn't mind
:)

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Quick question. Anyone know if the Timewalker Rep will accept a gen Montblanc leather band or metal bracelet? And how the hell do you take the bracelet off anyway? Looks like you need some kind of special tool.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
The star screws are dummy (don't know on the gen). The strap/bracelet just holds with spring bars... Clever :)
The lugsize is 22. So if the gen is 22, it should fit. No idea for the bracelet, but anyway I have doubts you can find one, and if ever it would surely cost you an arm and a leg : IMO the rep bracelet is good or very good.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Pix said:
The star screws are dummy (don't know on the gen). The strap/bracelet just holds with spring bars... Clever :)
The lugsize is 22. So if the gen is 22, it should fit. No idea for the bracelet, but anyway I have doubts you can find one, and if ever it would surely cost you an arm and a leg : IMO the rep bracelet is good or very good.

I really like the look of the rep bracelet, but I also really liked the look of the Timewalker non-chrono on a brown leather strap I saw in the AD. Very different looking strap. The holes for the tang were rectangular. Cool look.