• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

In Depth Review - AP ROO Diver JF "v9.5"

MKTimer

Known Member
10/12/17
Guys I have my JF v9.5 for aprox 6 weeks now. My two biggest gripes with this piece is:

1. The bezel mechanism. It is so clunky and i almost have to pull the crown very hard to turn the bezel or the teeth just slip and the bezel doesn't move.
2. My crown is now also becoming very loose and wiggles. When i adjust the time i have to screw the crown down for it to go back to its position to wind the watch it won't just push down.

Any ways it's a rep, but it is still annoying.

I would like to know if any one has these issues with theirs and if they know of a fix, or model that can fix these issues, particularly the bezel mechanism.

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Guys I have my JF v9.5 for aprox 6 weeks now. My two biggest gripes with this piece is:

1. The bezel mechanism. It is so clunky and i almost have to pull the crown very hard to turn the bezel or the teeth just slip and the bezel doesn't move.
2. My crown is now also becoming very loose and wiggles. When i adjust the time i have to screw the crown down for it to go back to its position to wind the watch it won't just push down.

Any ways it's a rep, but it is still annoying.

I would like to know if any one has these issues with theirs and if they know of a fix, or model that can fix these issues, particularly the bezel mechanism.

Probably best not to play too much with the bezel - the mechanism is weak and you could end up pulling the crown from the wheel which ratchets the bezel. You don’t use it for diving so just lay off it.

Crown - always a weak point on a rep - the less you use it the better. Get a winder. Or have a watchsmith replace the stem / service the movement.

Reactions: watcho

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
Does anyone with a smaller wrist have this in their collection? I have a 6.25 inch wrist so 42mm is about the maximum I can do for stuff like Tudor and Omega and sometimes it still looks too much. I don't mind the Diver being a big watch since it seems part of the aesthetic, the main thing is I don't want the lugs to overhang.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Does anyone with a smaller wrist have this in their collection? I have a 6.25 inch wrist so 42mm is about the maximum I can do for stuff like Tudor and Omega and sometimes it still looks too much. I don't mind the Diver being a big watch since it seems part of the aesthetic, the main thing is I don't want the lugs to overhang.

borderline situation i think..

cvlno

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/6/18

I have flat 6.5" wrists (pictured) and I found the ROO Diver was very close to overhanging. Especially with the stiffer rubber strap, if you go metal bracelet than maybe you'll be able to pull it off.

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
Ah damn I wanted the rubber strap, it looks like I may have to add this ot the list of ridiculously cool watches that aren't compatible with my wrist. Is there any other watch model I could try on that is similar in sizing to the Diver? Unfortunately, no stores/boutiques sell APs in the Bay Area for me to try.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Ah damn I wanted the rubber strap, it looks like I may have to add this ot the list of ridiculously cool watches that aren't compatible with my wrist. Is there any other watch model I could try on that is similar in sizing to the Diver? Unfortunately, no stores/boutiques sell APs in the Bay Area for me to try.

Just a personal opinion: With the correct movable endlinks, the diver will fit a 6.5" wrist without any overhang. The key is having the straps wrap round your wrist in a more ergonomic way vs having stiff endlinks which have flared angles when worn, creating unsightly gaps between your wrist and the straps. Go try on a gen diver. Yes you may need an XS straps but I personally do not find the 6.5" wrist inhibiting in any way. Remember that to a large extent, being able to carry off any watch takes confidence and comfort in wearing it. Yes of course there is a spectrum of acceptable watch sizes for any given wrist but your wrist size can take a 42mm AP diver with XS straps mounted. I used to have 6.5" wrists too, until I put on some bulk and have 7" wrists now. But I have worn the diver when my wrist size was smaller, and was comfortable about how it fit on my wrist. If I can, then you can.

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
I have 6.5" wrist too and the Diver is comfortable on my wrist. It feels much better than my 15400. I'm used to big watches (i have a Pam 112 as a daily beater)

Reactions: legend

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
The fit looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's OK. To your earlier point, it's a lot about the confidence to wear it - and you do need confidence with this one.
But its also very comfortable because of the flat base - its feels very natural.

Its something which I've also found with Panerai. Yes - they are large watches, but they've also been designed around their size in the sense they are wearable.

Reactions: Pdatoon

bosaftw

6/6/16
Germany
Would you guys say that the sizing of this is comparable to a Hublot 42mm Big Bang?

No. Totally different. The Hublot Classic Fusion from JJF Factory I have is super small and slim. Feels smaller than a submariner on the wrist. More like a Datejust 41.
Very small watch compared to the Big Bang 44mm models :D
The AP V9.5 feels bigger than 42mm.

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
Gotcha, thanks! Looks like it's likely out of my wrist size but I'm taking a work trip to NYC tomorrow so I'll drop by the boutique and see if they have it or something in the same size I can try out.

Last edited:

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
Hey guys, just tried out the gen AP Diver this weekend and wanted your input - the size is definitely bigger than expected but I knew that was going to be the case already since my 37mm RO feels like 39-40. I really like the design, but does this look too ridiculous on my wrist?

ViVACT.jpg

ViVmTe.jpg

ViV4EK.jpg

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
I think its looking realy nice

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reactions: SuperLory

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
No major advantages compared to JF... just a silly move to get a piece of the cake.

To me it looks like a rep of a rep. That they still cant get the tapisserie more refined is a pity.

Reactions: legend