• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The best Dress Watch for you?

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
Just an update regarding this post of mine.

Now I scratch out a lots from the choices and the last two that I chose are

Calatrava RG and a Rolex Cellini

Torn between those two. Such a beauty

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
For me a dress watch needs to have a leather strap, not a metal bracelet. I did quite some research on dress watches and those are the ones that I’ve bought:

JLC Master ultra thin moon by ZF
IWC portofino by AF
PP Calatrava by ZF

remember to match the color of the watch strap to the color of your belt and shoes. If you are wearing brown shoes and belt just get a new strap from ziczacleather.com, would even do that if you’re wearing black shoes, the rep straps are terrible.

Apart from the ones mentioned above, I believe there are some superreps from omega and IWC on the list that you could also buy. The ones above are just my favorites.

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
For me a dress watch needs to have a leather strap, not a metal bracelet. I did quite some research on dress watches and those are the ones that I’ve bought:

IWC portofino by AF
PP Calatrava by ZF

remember to match the color of the watch strap to the color of your belt and shoes. If you are wearing brown shoes and belt just get a new strap from ziczacleather.com, would even do that if you’re wearing black shoes, the rep straps are terrible.

Apart from the ones mentioned above, I believe there are some superreps from omega and IWC on the list that you could also buy. The ones above are just my favorites.

You're a man of great taste sir. I forgot about the portofino but you're right, it does make a great dress watch.

Reactions: Cheeps

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Agreed with Patek calatrava. It's my top choice dress watch. Although the jlc ultra thin moon phase is at close second. Congrats on the wedding mate. BTW, are you from Philippines?

Hello =) yeah Calatrava for the win but I just saw this JF AP 15400 V5 with white dial and it looks good also hehe.. Yes I'm from the PH but currently I'm here in Florida. I'll be back in the PH this Sept. and how bout you?

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19

IWC portofino by AF
PP Calatrava by ZF

Thanks for the advice =) regarding the styling, I don't need to worry about that because we hire a stylist =) I'm just so into watches hahaha.

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Thanks for the advice =) regarding the styling, I don't need to worry about that because we hire a stylist =) I'm just so into watches hahaha.

The best stylist can’t help you when your suit is compatible with only a black belt but you bought a watch with a brown strap. :p

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Guys what do you think of JF AP ROYAL OAK 15400 RG BLACK / WHITE DIAL with BLACK LEATHER STRAP? I'm thinking it's good as well

That is by no means a dress watch. As it has been said above, there are basic rules for a watch to be considered a dress watch:

1. Leather bracelet
2. Clean dial. Just time, perhaps date at most.
3. Small and thin, easy to conceal under your shirt cuff.

The Calatrava, JLC Ultrathin Moon and Portofino are excellent choices. Also look into the Rolex Cellini or if you are feeling bold the JLC Reverso or Cartier Tank for a more vintage look.

Go on the search bar and search with threads with "dress" in the title, there are a few very interesting threads about this.
​​​​​​

Reactions: sniffti

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
Hello =) yeah Calatrava for the win but I just saw this JF AP 15400 V5 with white dial and it looks good also hehe.. Yes I'm from the PH but currently I'm here in Florida. I'll be back in the PH this Sept. and how bout you?
I'm from PH too, but right now I'm based in London, probably next year I'll be back. With regards to 15400, I think it's a bit too big. One of my criteria for a dress watch is it should not hinder the movement of your cuff when you move. Take a look at the patek calatrava 5227 black dial. That is my favorite dress watch. :)

Reactions: WATCH HACKER

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
That is by no means a dress watch. As it has been said above, there are basic rules for a watch to be considered a dress watch:

1. Leather bracelet
2. Clean dial. Just time, perhaps date at most.
3. Small and thin, easy to conceal under your shirt cuff.

The Calatrava, JLC Ultrathin Moon and Portofino are excellent choices. Also look into the Rolex Cellini or if you are feeling bold the JLC Reverso or Cartier Tank for a more vintage look.

Go on the search bar and search with threads with "dress" in the title, there are a few very interesting threads about this.
​​​​​​
I agree with this direction, however, one could claim that hublot classic fusion is a modern dress watch.

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
I agree with this direction, however, one could claim that hublot classic fusion is a modern dress watch.

Isn’t the classic fusion like 45 mm? Would hardly call that a dress watch. :) also, hublot for me is like the Ed hardy of watches

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Isn’t the classic fusion like 45 mm? Would hardly call that a dress watch. :) also, hublot for me is like the Ed hardy of watches

There is a 38mm version, with leather/rubber strap. Still, the design lines are too technical for a dress watch, in my opinion. It wouldn't look terrible with a suit, but it's not this:

Cartier-Tank-Louis-Cartier-5.jpg

Check this out too: https://www.wempe.com/en/discover/product-recommendation-editors/dress-watches-special