• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CRUD101

enzo

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
I know I am guilty of the past practise as much as anyone, I now have the conviction of a convert. I never liked the traditional ways of making new watches look old. Common DIY practice is; scratching and dinging a surface which would make it appear older but the fact is you have to do this to a abnormal level for the effect to ‘look’ effective. This would then make the process fake and un-natural looking … as well, forced dings and pocks and such are much sharper than similar wear that is created and further worn in time. Sanding, toolmarks from files, are all too uniform as well as unlikely. Most watch wearers don’t subject their wrist pieces to the whims of a file, or for that matter any kind of aggressive encounter. It happens sure. But, it’s random and likely unwanted in the real world and that kind of real application is hard to pony up on purpose …

Stainless steel is really pretty tough stuff. Especially watch cases and it’s used for those very reasons. It doesn’t rust easily and it survives in salt water. Human sweat and the constant contact of wearing over decades will eventually pit and corrode a surface even such a tough one. This is a process that happens at a level that most of don’t even notice and the thing is that this kind of wear can go unnoticed except that it attains a certain look, feel and a patina of age that makes something in good nick that is 60 years old look different from something that was made last year.
pa030310.jpg

The first photo shows two identical cases that are in fact from the same batch, they are the same age and one pictured at the right is used as the control. The case on the left has been aged with two simple processes. 1) The entire surface has been subjected to micro scratches. These are tiny hair-like surface scratches that can’t even be seen with the naked eye. But they occur on any polished surface that is in fact left to the elements. Under magnification, all polished surfaces show micro-scratching, and the older something is, the more it will have. Visually, this takes some of the focus out of the polish, while leaving the over-all appearance of the finish. Jewelry, watches, keys, coins, cutlery, and other commonly handled and long-life items gather this natural buffing.

This type of wear is much more reasonable and accurate than toolmarks. (Toolmarks: the uniform, repetitious gouges and scratches left by, files, sandpaper, grinders and other hand and power tools. Files, sandpaper and dremel tools are the usual suspects.) That is because these methods don’t happen in real life. They are short-cuts and they leave a trail of why and what was done. On first appearance, such approaches can make a newer item look older, but inspection will soon result in finding the object has been modified and like a Dial with text that is spelled wrong as soon as you see the flaw, it jumps out and bugs you every time you view it.

The additional wear, that I have added, (notable in the first photo as well as well these others, is corrosion. Actual decomposition of the metal’s surface area. Micro pits are the result of the breakdown of the composition of molecular structure of the metal. In real life this happens over a long period of time. Combined with surface wear, and you get, no matter how slight on Stainless Steel, a patina of age. The other aspect is staining or colouration. Stainless Steel even by definition will discolour and stain, it’s just that it’s more resistant to such over carbon steel.
pa020310.jpg

pa020311.jpg

pa030310.jpg

What I have done is replicate this and eliminated the decades it normally takes to happen, (there is also the question of IF it happens. Every watch wears differently and to different levels.) There are many factors: steel composition and quality. usage, age, organic variables. On a watch and its composite parts, different parts of the case are affected at different rates and such events are rarely calibrated or even. Examples are that one-piece cases are more resilient than their additional pieces. Bezels, crowns, crown tubes and back cases tend to corrode more than the large dense lump of the case. This is a common behaviour of metals. Sharper edges are more susceptible than curved surfaces. Smaller parts tend to be made from lesser quality steel as well.
pa030311.jpg

The last part of the example is rust on a stainless surface. It does happen. Usually confined to hard-to-clean spots on a case, where stuff joins together, the same places crud builds up and can be missed even after polishing and cleaning. This 3646 case shows good rust patina or rust scale. It’s a thin and hard crust that only under magnification jumps out as rust and buildup.

This is one of those dynamic, relative things that add to and make a project that much more satisfying.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
nice write up.. but the million dollar question needs to be asked... how do you achieve the pitting and rust?????? Thats looks very very good. I would love to add a little of this to my vintages!

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
thanks for posting this thread...I enjoyed reading it...

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
Mate, your attention to those often overlooked and ignored details of 'vintage' watch creation, still astounds me :eek:

Great result!

babola

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Said it before, and I'll say it again. Enzo is the absolutely bloody master of vintage stuff. And Enzo probably knows his PAMs better than anyone short of Alexandra Zoller (current Panerai President).

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Does anyone know how to get a hold of Enzo? I don't know him but his posts were so important to me when I first started. We need to invite him back.

enzo

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
these linked methods all sound very crude, and you'd have to get any successful results by case attrition! With my own method I am talking subtle and these caustic methods are as much at that as using a sledgehammer to fashion a champagne flute. Let's put it in a watch mod analogy. Say you are going to re-lume a dial; one method would be to cover the entire dial with lume and then go back and scrape away all except where you wanted it to lay on the indicies. This would be intensive work. Expensive, messy, and difficult to do precisely, but with a lot of work you could come up with something that you might like in the end. (Unlikely, but it's at least possible.)

Remember, the photos I supplied are magnifications X17 - I suppose a rusting, tetnus-laced artifact might be interesting, but not something I'd want to wear, or brush up against =) My own crudification method is tuneable to a precise point, at least intensity level-wise, as you can't control oxidation completely.

-rust never sleeps-

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
enzo said:
-rust never sleeps-

you are right...completely agree with what you wrote above...now we have to get ahold of the secret receipt of yours.... :lol:

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
doctorron said:
Does anyone know how to get a hold of Enzo? I don't know him but his posts were so important to me when I first started. We need to invite him back.

I didn't realize this was posted today, I thought it was just someone answering an old post. Glad you're back Enzo.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
This is amazing... what an art! :)

I cannot wrap my mind around the tedious work that must go into it.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Aweome post
Not sure if this helps but use a rock tubler with pea gravel for a few days to get a vintage look. Not sure on his rust recipe but by accident I placed a piece of chlorine tablet in my copper birdbath and the patina process in the bowl took just a couple weeks. I used a high concentration on chlorine water in a mist spray bottle on the rest and let sit , spraying it every day and it look ancient

enzo

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
There are dozens of ways to try and age something, and in the end, you are depending on luck and nature for the result. If the watches in question were made of base metals or copper, this would be a different discussion as chlorine and copper/bronze etc. are a well-known chemical reaction.

The approach of slash and burn methods, again, are not effective. Sure, they beat up or "age" the case, but in such an unatural and artificial way you might as well engrave on the case. THIS IS ONLY A SIMULATION ... and if that is what you want, then great. (I can just imagine a rock tumbler's result on the plexiglass crystals ... and you may say, well remove them! And I counter with that my case's inside needs to be pristine, it's the outside that needs application; as well the "buildup" of crud and scale is part of the crystal and other joints of the watch.) The scale and buildup layer onto the crystal, so if there is a brand-new sparkling crystal and a crud'ed out case, you lose the aged OEM aspect.

Again, my approach is -replicating- the real world conditions and not a simple visual imitation of age which is common place in past and present modifications. I am not saying you can't do it other ways, but there is a big difference. The beauty of my own process is that I can return precise and prescribed condition/results. The ability to apply the minimal result is far harder than going over-the-top and it's far more realistic. It's just like a relume or a dial vintage job. It can be done well, and it can be done crudely.

As to wanting a similar result, you don't need to guess or fret, just e-mail me and I can provide a solution

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Thanks for trying to get a hold of me Enzo. I got your message but then I kept getting an error message too. Anyway, glad you're back.