• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help needed: What should I do with this busted Speedmaster??

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Ok, can anyone suggest what I should do with this?? I have this Omega Speedmaster with an Asian 7750:
1199286806296637682.jpg

I bought it new for about $250 plus shipping, which was quite steep... Anyway, the movement seems busted (it just won't tick at all) and perhaps it needs a new stem too. Everything else (case, dial, glass with double AR from K2222...) is in as new condition. I don't know whether it needs new hands too (as they have come off), but perhaps not.

So, what should I do with it? I guess I have at least 4 options:

a) throw it out
b) sell the parts for peanuts
c) have someone have a look to see if it can be fixed
d) get a new movement and send it to someone who can do the swap

I would like to go for c or d, because I like the watch. But then the question is: is it worth it or is it going to cost me as much as a new one? And who should I contact to do the job? Anyone here??

Ideally it would be nice to send it to someone who can tell me what's wrong and give me a quote to have it running again. Then I could make up my mind...

Thanks for your input.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
If you have purchased it from a dealer in less than 30-60 days ask to have them repair it. Or find some one in the UK and get it looked at.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Thanks. Sadly there's no warranty covering it, so the dealer option is a no go.
"Someone in the UK" is exactly what I am looking for... Or in Europe or even the US... Anyone at all??
I just can't take this to my usual watch guy. First of all, he doesn't like to work on reps. Secondly, he's got too much on his plate already and he's sick of seeing me... He actually told me so. lol

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
rooster133 said:
"Someone in the UK" is exactly what I am looking for... Or in Europe or even the US... Anyone at all??
I just can't take this to my usual watch guy. First of all, he doesn't like to work on reps. Secondly, he's got too much on his plate already and he's sick of seeing me... He actually told me so. lol

I don't really mean warranty though. If you bought it from a dealer they should offer to repair for a fee. TBH this is why I like buying from some dealers who do this. It never hurts to ask. :D Before I found this place I dealt with a Chinese company that would repair cosmetic items for free if you buy another watch plus shipping each watch then was 40-280 dollars. They also offered mechanical repairs for a small fee. Just buy another junker for 40 and they would fix it with a 20 shipping fee. That is why you should ask.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
R2D4 said:
rooster133 said:

I don't really mean warranty though. If you bought it from a dealer they should offer to repair for a fee. TBH this is why I like buying from some dealers who do this. It never hurts to ask. :D Before I found this place I dealt with a Chinese company that would repair cosmetic items for free if you buy another watch plus shipping each watch then was 40-280 dollars. They also offered mechanical repairs for a small fee. Just buy another junker for 40 and they would fix it with a 20 shipping fee. That is why you should ask.

Oh ok, I see... But I can't do that with the delaer I got it from . It's a long story, but basically that's exactly why I am stuck with this busted watch. I got a good discount on other purchases if I just kept it instead of returning it for a repair or exchange, and I was ok with that. I wonder though: should I ask someone else I have done business with before to send it in for repair, even though this particular watch didn't come from them?

arty909

15/10/06
In an ideal world, there will be a reponse like this: "it's a very easy fix, P.M. me". Don't hold your breath though, that could be a costly repair, and the piece may be 'totalled'. I wonder if Ziggy would be willing to have a look at it? Good luck, Arty

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
arty909 said:
In an ideal world, there will be a reponse like this: "it's a very easy fix, P.M. me". Don't hold your breath though, that could be a costly repair, and the piece may be 'totalled'. I wonder if Ziggy would be willing to have a look at it? Good luck, Arty

So true!...

Anyway, I followed R2D2's advice and contacted one of the trusted dealers I usually buy from. He has agreed to have someone in GZ have a look at it next time I place an order through him. That sounds like the best option.

Thanks guys.

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
Uh... I just got round to reading this post....

Rooster, I'm in UK

if you get the NEW (i must insist you get a new & checked fully working rep movt), I'll swap it
over for you gratis. Including the datewheel swap. I just dont want to be messing with 2 fooked-up
rep movts - and get the blame for the "repair" being shit.

you just pay me for the insured postage back to you :D