• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of ROLEX Day-Date "President" ETA 2836-2

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
5eVQcwk.jpg

Another "review watch" for me. I wanted to see this, because I've never seen a decent Day-Date/DateJust replica. I asked Chris to get one for a review and he said "sure, just pick your model". Once again, the blue (or actually turquoise) dial was the most attractive for me. Another reason I wanted to write this article was that there has never been a decent review of a replica DJ/DD. Quite weird, considering how popular and well known this watch is. Time to change that, and have some serious DD/DJ conversation!

The Day Date is actually the "top model" of Rolex, and it's only available in precious metals. This article tells pretty much everything about the history of the DD, and why it earned the nickname "President".

The band is called "Presidential" bracelet, and it's completely different from the Jubilé that's commonly used on the DateJust. It's quite flimsy and lightweight in typical Rolex fashion.

KhqAvGq.jpg

This turquoise dial variation is only available in platinum (as a gen), but the replica is (of course) completely made of stainless steel. There are DD's made in yellow, pink and white gold as well. White gold doesn't actually look that much different from SS, but naturally it makes the watch significantly heavier. The gen WG versions weigh over 170 grams, which is a lot for a watch this small! I don't have the weight numbers for the platinum version, but I believe it might be in the same range.

There have been rumors of "white gold plated" replicas, but I believe they're just that... rumors. Our "bling expert" jfreeman wrote an excellent description of the white gold:

"Rolex has a proprietary process to manufacture white gold and rose gold that will never change color. Most all white gold jewelry and watches are plated with rhodium except Rolex. White gold is achieved by mixing gold with nickel. Without the rhodium it will always have a yellow tint. The process Rolex invented is heavily guarded but produces white gold that is brighter than any other and will never fade. I have white gold jewelry that is turning yellow due to the rhodium wearing off.

With that said there is no such thing as white gold plating. It is chemically impossible unless you have the proprietary formula from Rolex. Seeing that Rhodium is the most expensive metal in the world, currently trading at around $6,000 per ounce, it is highly unlikely that a replica manufacturer is plating anything with rhodium."

The watch diameter is only 36 millimeters, and the small size looks a bit old-fashioned next to these huge modern watches. Smaller size is probably the biggest reason why DD and DJ have never been big sellers among our membership.

YPGcNCk.jpg

However, DD and DJ are very good sellers for Rolex, and these models are extremely popular in Asia, where men are (generally) smaller, and have smaller wrists. I actually took a few wristshots of the DD but it admittedly looked a bit "out of place" on my '8 wrist, so I decided to post some on my fiancé's wrist. She's a small woman and I think this watch looks great on her.

ItlMObq.jpg

Y8YzJ5A.jpg

How about the accuracy then?

Of course the weight is off, because I chose this particular replica (that only has a platinum gen counterpart). There are probably more accurate replicas in the DateJust line, but none of them look as good as this (imho). And one thing that's very characteristic for the whole DJ/DD line is the HUGE variation of different dials. There are hundreds of them. I'm not an expert in these models, but I've noticed how difficult it has always been to "spot" the reps in the DJ/DD line (even for our senior members). RobbieG just recently posted a Rolex dial reference, which shows the current dials on production. On top of this, there are tons of "unofficial" variations, which (again) makes identifying the reps even tougher.

Here is the gen counterpart (on the right). As you can see the Roman numerals are a bit thicker on the gen, and the crown seems to be a 6mm twinlock (same as Exp and GMT). It's a bit different on the rep. The day font and other dial details are actually very close. Isn't it funny how much off center the gen datewheel is!?

AuP9vHk.jpg

Here's a better photo of the rep daywheel (with MONDAY set on). The watch is really beautiful. The lugs and bracelet middle links have been polished to mirror finish.

NC8wEQI.jpg

So, after seeing this watch... am I a believer?

Yes and no. When the Day Date was first introduced to the Rolex lineup in 1956, the standard watch size was different. Admittedly this watch represents a "different era" in many ways, including the history it carries. Personally, I wouldn't wear a watch this small, but then I'm a big man with thick wrists. There are bigger classic dress models, such as Omega Aqua Terra, that I personally consider better alternatives for me. On the other hand, this blue Day-Date is among the most beautiful watches I have seen.

The watch has some flaws, but it's still very believable and substantial replication. This is definitely the most gorgeous version in the whole DD/DJ lineup and I wouldn't even consider any other variation. This particular turquoise dial is simply stunning, and Day Date is definitely a prestigious looking dress model for any smaller man (or woman).

mruUl87.jpg

Reactions: NoahT

LegendofSpeed

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/06
I seem to have the same size wrist as By-tor.... so, my question would be, how big is the bracelet? Did it wear comfortably right off the rack for you? That's always been my concern with the DD/DJ...

By the way, another excellent review! Thanks for posting it!

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Thanks man.

The bracelet length was just enough for me. Yes, it fit nicely on a '8 wrist (with all links intact).

MEYER8888

Renowned Member
19/9/07
I love the design of this watch, but she s really too little. I hear the new one come on 41mm, have someone hear for the new rep on this size?
Thanks for your great rewiew
sylvain

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Great review, personally I have two Day Dates. One on oyster that I wear and one on president that the wife wears.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i researched these for about 1 year before before ruby had the factory build this one for me. this is the most accurate dial hand combo there was at the time. this one is good enough the only major tell is the weight so on the wrist it is good to go. the bracelet on this one isn't light or flimsy and is finished nicely but if you have a large wrist you will need to order an extra bracelet along with it. for me it needed one link added. my wrist is 8" to 8 1/2", it worked out perfectly because my wife also wanted to wear it so i ajusted the extra bracelet for her.

http://forum.replica-watch.info/phpBB3/vi ... te#p110515

the version you have shown with the ice blue dial and smooth bezel is only available in platinum. i always thought that was funny because the smooth bezel date just is stainless steel and is platinum on the day date. the dial should not look turquoise at all, it should look a light powder ice blue.

researched and built correctly these are one of the most correct reps out there, there are so many dial and hand combinations available not to mention these are a favorite for gen owners to have customized with exotic dial and bezel combinations. it is very hard to call one of these out because of the dial or hands. the platinum one on the other hand is the only one that has that ice blue dial so the color needs to be correct. i have seen these with many different diamond configurations from rolex. there is a guy on the rolex forum that has one of these with the diamond bezel and super prez bracelet with diamonds on the center links. he has it appraised and insured for over 100,000.00.

great review on a stunning watch that is over looked im my opinion. thanks for posting it!!!!! :D

Reactions: sishac

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Wow, great info hk!

Yes, it looks like it's actually a platinum model, not "white gold". I will correct that info.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

Awesome review as always, By-Tor! ...and I couldn´t get more impressed with your pics, they´re amazing :D

...Only thing that - if you allow me to do so - is to add that the Day-Date and Datejust replicas are a few of those that have the correct engraving on the rehaut.
Each letter of the engraving is above one minute mark, so it makes the engraving perfect with the gen counterpart. Differently as we experienced to see on Rolex sport reps, as the so called 1:1 GMT-IIc and all others.

The only sport Rolex rep that I have seen with the correct rehaut engraving so far, is the MBK Submariner that you reviewed some time ago. that´s something that counts big time, for us, Rolex lovers and fans.
I personally am a big fan of the Day-Date model, although I don´t have a single one yet (I´m waiting to start my lineup with a classical that I always wanted, and is not a 2005+ model)

But on the other side, I have 5 Datejusts alone, and as I´m a "small man" my wrists accomodate the best this size of watches (I can´t wear anything above 40mm watch or it would look huge on me)

Hope to see some more pics and reviews from you, fella!

Cheers,
Spirit.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
as a rule i like the glitter effect from the fluted bezel but the color of this dial is stunning. i wanted one of these very bad but i very seldom wear a nice suite. most of the time i just wear harley teeshirts and levies 501 with new balance tennis shoes. a nice used 18k prez can be had for 10,000.00 to 15,000.00. i see people wear them all the time dressed like me, we call them (weekend warriors) harley riders. the 18k dd's are very popular where i live but i felt like a 100,000.00 platinum rolex would probably look a little out of place so i bought the fluted bezel and rhodium roman numeral dial. lmao :lol:

i agree with you though, that platinum version with the blue dial and no diamonds is the top dog bar none. it is understated elegance for rolex and is simply stunning.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Thanks hk, I fixed the information (and title picture).

What's the retail price of this gen? If it's made of platinum, it must be astronomical then. :shock:

@spirit: You're correct. The engraving looks great on this one. Symmetrical and very subtle.

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
Wonderful photos as always, By-Tor. :)

On the winding crown, does the rep have two dots, or a line? The genuine Day-Date has two dots, like this:

picture20or20video20novui1.jpg

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
By-Tor said:
Thanks hk, I fixed the information (and title picture).

What's the retail price of this gen? If it's made of platinum, it must be astronomical then. :shock:

@spirit: You're correct. The engraving looks great on this one. Symmetrical and very subtle.

ok, after doing some research the domed bezel isn't exclusive to the platinum model, it is also available on the 18k. it is the ice blue dial that is exclusive to the platinum model. sorry about that, it has been a while since i researched these. i think 83,200.00 just for a diamond platinum bracelet is a little expensive!!!!!

the platinum model prices as of april 2008 are,

Oyster Perpetual Day-Date. 0 36mm, platinum. bezel set with 24 baguette diamonds.
31 jewel chronometer movement, synthetic sapphire crystal,
with President bracelet 83206 . . . . . . . . . .
with 8 round and 2 baguette diamonds set on dial and President bracelet 83206
Please refer to model 118239 for a complete listing of available additional cost dials.

President Karat" bracelet 84209

Oyster Perpetual Day-Date "Special Edition", " 39mm, platinum, bezel set
with 40 diamonds, 8 round and 2 baguette diamonds set on dial,
with Oyster 20mm bracelet 72746 .. . . . . .
with mother-of-pearl diamond dial and Oyster 20mm bracelet 72746
Please refer to model 118239 for a complete listing of available additional cost dials.

Oyster Perpetual Day-Date. " 36mm, platinum. domed bezel. case lugs set
with 32 diamonds. 31 jewel chronometer movement. synthetic sapphire crystal,
with President bracelet 83206 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ............•.
With 8 round and 2 baguette 'diamonds set on dial and President bracelet 83206 .
Please refer to model 118239 for a complete listing of available additional cost dials. March I, 2008. Subject ro change or withdrawal Without notice

118206 Oyster Perpetual Day-Date. 0 36mm. platinum, domed bezel,
p. 15 with President bracelet 83206 . . . . . . . . .

sorry about the mix up on the domed bezel. :oops:

fine dd

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/8/06
The iceblue DD is a outstanding watch. It is one of my favorite watches.
I have it since a long time and posted it at the thread "Rubys free raffle".
The only modding is a german daywheel like all my DD´s have... :D

pict5342ui2.jpg

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
fine dd said:
The iceblue DD is a outstanding watch. It is one of my favorite watches.
I have it since a long time and posted it at the thread "Rubys free raffle".
The only modding is a german daywheel like all my DD´s have... :D

pict5342ui2.jpg

hey, hey, hey, i want a german date wheel very bad!!!!!!!! where do i get one???????? :shock:

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
By-Tor said:
Thanks hk, very good information. And just as I predicted the prices are... :shock:

Here are some preowned DD's for sale on the Blowers Jewelers.

http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/rolex.htm

there are some great comparison shots on that link!!!!! i found my dial and hand combo on there. i searched forever to find a gen with that combo. the most common is roman with no lume on the dial or hands. i wanted this one because it was a little less common, or seemed that way.

thanks for posting that link!!!!!!!! :D

romanddfb4.jpg

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
swissaddict said:
Wonderful photos as always, By-Tor. :)

On the winding crown, does the rep have two dots, or a line? The genuine Day-Date has two dots, like this:

picture20or20video20novui1.jpg

it depends what kind of metal the watch is made from as to what markings are on the crown.

crownmarkingsuv3.jpg

@fine dd,

i need a couple of them that fit an eta movement. i think those fit the gen, how on earth did you make them?

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
@hk: Thanks.. I was mistaken. Just looked through a bunch of gen pics, and the platinum DD should have one dot on the crown. tThe white gold and yellow gold Day-Dates have two dots... as far as I can tell, no Day-Dates ever had a line though.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Great review! The 2836-2 ETA's are bulletproof. I still have my GMT II from Chinkie chunkie.

The dial is a soothing blue. I just could not pull off such a watch of this size since I got used to 42mm and up. Alsoi a president is a tough sell for a retired Navy man /helicopter pilot.