• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Biggest tell of PAM rep

optimis9

25/8/07
I recently got a chance to handle quite a few of the gen PAM.. from the experience, I have to say the biggest tell of a rep PAM is the crow guard pin.. The gen are really flush and neat. Have not seen that kind of quality with the rep, even the really good one.

What's your opinion?

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i have several pictures at home of gen pams with the cg pin too low. i am at work now, i will look for them later tonight. pvd different colors, cg pins all over the place and crowns all over the place also. i have seen them range everywhere from laying on the case to probably 1mm off of the case. panerai is a very inconsistent watch maker. i am not saying i don't like there watches or anything like that but their inconsistencies are much greater than rolex.

i will post some shots pulled from the pam forum tonight after i get home from work. i hope i can find the one i am looking for, i had several shots from a pvd thread and in that thread alone you could see everything i just mentioned above, i was amazed, that is why i saved it to my pictures.

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
optimis9 said:
I recently got a chance to handle quite a few of the gen PAM.. from the experience, I have to say the biggest tell of a rep PAM is the crow guard pin.. The gen are really flush and need. Have not seen that kind of quality with the rep, even the really good one.

What's your opinion?

standard crown guard on Ti 176

after a little work: pretty good looking - snaps inplace, tight lever. thats my opinion. easy to do.

IMG_4543.jpg

merlin699

18/8/07
hk45ca said:
look at where all the crowns are sitting in the pictures you just linked, they are all over the place. :shock:

you're right - but I was looking at the cg pins :|

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
merlin699 said:
hk45ca said:
look at where all the crowns are sitting in the pictures you just linked, they are all over the place. :shock:

you're right - but I was looking at the cg pins :|

i understand that, i was just pointing out one of the other inconsistencies that i had mentioned above.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
horologie_unitas said:
optimis9 said:
I recently got a chance to handle quite a few of the gen PAM.. from the experience, I have to say the biggest tell of a rep PAM is the crow guard pin.. The gen are really flush and need. Have not seen that kind of quality with the rep, even the really good one.

What's your opinion?

standard crown guard on Ti 176

after a little work: pretty good looking - snaps inplace, tight lever. thats my opinion. easy to do.

IMG_4543.jpg

Thats a great shot, and the CG does look very good.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i can't find the pictures i was talking about with all the pvd pams but i found one from don's straps listed on the pam forum that has the crown down against the case and the cg pin too low. i see this every now and again, it could be that someone has worked on the watch but it is clear they are out there that look like this.

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
i guess the most obvious is the canon pin, unless it's a chrono
that's where i always look the every time i see a PAM

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
I believe the CG pins are not consistant on gens as well...

With a bit of fiddling, the reps are pretty good IMO...