• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Payment Method Preference Survey, please vote and this will help us A LOT.

Payment Method Preference Survey, please vote and this will help us A LOT.

• VISA Credit Card

Votes: 62 41.1%
  • MasterCard Credit Card

Votes: 46 30.5%
  • PayPal Regular Payment with buyer protection

Votes: 111 73.5%
  • PayPal Family and Friends Payment

Votes: 83 55.0%
  • Western Union and MoneyGrams

Votes: 29 19.2%
  • International Bank Transfer

Votes: 18 11.9%
  • Transferwise and Xoom

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Bitcoin

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • WeChat and AliPay

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other Payment Options (Please specify by responding to this thread)

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
I would like to pay by CC but still no avail on your site (tried both options)
Any chance that Visa has higher success rate than Maestro/Master Card?
(...and no, my bank didn't blocked the transaction, actually they weren't even aware of that...)

vicad

Renowned Member
14/6/15
puretime

​​​​​​​Angus You should accept PayPal gift (no chance of charge back) only from good standing members (example: +2 years on the forum, 500 minimum posts or higher , supporter / VIP account).

You would minimise risk this way and maximise your revenues (sales would be higher and you don't need to pay an agent to get your western union payments).

I just made an order to another TD last week just because he accepts PayPal payments.

​​​ confirmation of payment is also almost immediate

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
PayPal screw us guys who are not in the US on the exchange to USD. I've found transferwise and western union to be the better options for me in the UK but seems less and less accepted by TDs

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14
It doesnt work bro, most members do not do M2M and they dont have sales feedbacks, and I have no right to ban a member, plus when someone dispute and my PayPal maybe gone, so still need to think about many things :(

Someone with no feedback wouldn't make the list... You could restrict payments to gift payments.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Yep, getting a greenlist would be awesome, like, you can pay with paypal gift (no chargeback problems) only if you:
- have more than xxxx posts
- are active in the forum
- have a history of good trades and M2M sales
- don't have any bad history behind
- have supporter or patreon vip level

etc

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
That wouldn't work. Many scammers were stand up guys and supporters with a good history on various fora before they begin their nasty tricks. I'm with Angus here...

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Is western union or Transferwise not an option? There is no recourse on these payments

I personally dislike credit card and prefer western union or TW

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WU is very strict in China right now, it tracks the volume you take per week / month. All the names in my office has been blacklisted by WU. Transferwise is more like Bank Wire. I got a bank account cancelled as well because of frequent transfer from foreign countries.

Ive had 3 large orders with you over last month, all were cancelled by my bank, even know I spoke to bank and told them to allow the payment. but my main bank simply won't let big payments go to ceratin China banks/systems. unfortunately, Bitcoin is too volatile. I had to go elsewhere and pay with Paypal gift, the other TD was happy with proof of forum name etc. and history.

I think that would be the way to go

I am sorry about this my friend, I am trying to take PayPal and Bank Wire again but I just need more data. I should be able to take more payment options in the near future.

I would like to pay by CC but still no avail on your site (tried both options)
Any chance that Visa has higher success rate than Maestro/Master Card?
(...and no, my bank didn't blocked the transaction, actually they weren't even aware of that...)

I am so sorry about this, my current credit card processor does not take VISA at the moment so your VISA transactions were failed :( I am actively working on this to make VISA back again, plus PayPal and Bank Wire.

puretime

Angus You should accept PayPal gift (no chance of charge back) only from good standing members (example: +2 years on the forum, 500 minimum posts or higher , supporter / VIP account).

You would minimise risk this way and maximise your revenues (sales would be higher and you don't need to pay an agent to get your western union payments).

I just made an order to another TD last week just because he accepts PayPal payments.

​​​ confirmation of payment is also almost immediate

Thank you for your comment and I will take that into consideration :)

PayPal screw us guys who are not in the US on the exchange to USD. I've found transferwise and western union to be the better options for me in the UK but seems less and less accepted by TDs

Yes I think almost all TDs names are blacklisted by WU already.

Someone with no feedback wouldn't make the list... You could restrict payments to gift payments.

Yes gift payment is a must, but still not anyone can use it. You can still call PayPal and report an account if you only do gift payment.

Yep, getting a greenlist would be awesome, like, you can pay with paypal gift (no chargeback problems) only if you:
- have more than xxxx posts
- are active in the forum
- have a history of good trades and M2M sales
- don't have any bad history behind
- have supporter or patreon vip level

etc

Thank you and I will take it into consideration :)

That wouldn't work. Many scammers were stand up guys and supporters with a good history on various fora before they begin their nasty tricks. I'm with Angus here...

Yeah and that is what I worried, but there must be risks and I need to find a way to minimise it.

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
I am so sorry about this, my current credit card processor does not take VISA at the moment so your VISA transactions were failed :( I am actively working on this to make VISA back again, plus PayPal and Bank Wire.

...and BTW, I was trying to pay with a Master Card. That's why I asked about Visa... just to know if I should get another card.

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
...and BTW, I was trying to pay with a Master Card. That's why I asked about Visa... just to know if I should get another card.

When I have VISA back online, you should be able to pay by VISA easily :)

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
Have a PayPal greenlist with trusted forum members :)

Agreed...this could be a viable option to mitigate chargeback risk via paypal. The pros to paypal for buyers is the option to use credit card with transparency in fees. Assuming buyer covers paypal fee costs... there is no hidden transaction charge that a lot of folks get irked by when they use a credit card for an international transaction. I'd rather know I'm covering a 4% fee than wait until a transaction settles on my credit card to find out how much the transaction fees were.

Paypal also offers return shipping refunds, which I've used many times (not for reps, but for ebay). But it should also cover return shipping to China in case a rep shows up DOA or needing servicing. It wont mitigate the risk of shipping a rep internationally, but at least you're not footing the entirety of the return shipping charge.

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Agreed...this could be a viable option to mitigate chargeback risk via paypal. The pros to paypal for buyers is the option to use credit card with transparency in fees. Assuming buyer covers paypal fee costs... there is no hidden transaction charge that a lot of folks get irked by when they use a credit card for an international transaction. I'd rather know I'm covering a 4% fee than wait until a transaction settles on my credit card to find out how much the transaction fees were.

Paypal also offers return shipping refunds, which I've used many times (not for reps, but for ebay). But it should also cover return shipping to China in case a rep shows up DOA or needing servicing. It wont mitigate the risk of shipping a rep internationally, but at least you're not footing the entirety of the return shipping charge.

You made some good points my friend, I will definitely take them into consideration. Do you feel comfortable by paying gift payments?

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
You made some good points my friend, I will definitely take them into consideration. Do you feel comfortable by paying gift payments?

Yes, however the only downside to Paypal Gift (or FF) is that it links to a debit account only (unless Paypal has updated to allow for credit cards for Paypal Gift) and the built-in paypal benefits are non-existent. I understand the benefits and protections for you (or other TDs) and its certainly worth considering. For me however, I'm fine paying the Paypal fee as mentioned above, but if the only option is Paypal Gift then I would want to have a better understanding of the fees (normally there arent any for domestic Paypal Gift payments). In other words, my preference would be Paypal (regular) and THEN Paypal Gift. But both options are preferable to regular credit card transactions because, depending on the financial institution, there could be automated fraud screening in place that may block credit card payments through TD websites (I've had that happen with Citi, Chase, and USAA). I'm curious to see if Citi may work better once they finalize their integration into UnionPay.

I hope that makes sense. Pretty much, in a nutshell, the buyer has the best options with normal Paypal (return shipping refunds, etc), but I understand the risks to the TD. That's why I agree with the idea of whitelisting forum members that that TD can trust...Trusted Dealers could have a list of Trusted Buyers.

But its also important for TDs to remember that forum members appreciate building a relationship with a TD, and the more enthusiastic members probably have a vested interest in making sure the TDs stay in business to supply this hobby. I try to accommodate the concerns of "my TD" when it comes to payments, e.g. breaking up a large transaction into smaller paypal payments (I just did this last week for a larger order). So I think the relationship will drive flexibility on the buyer's behalf to accommodate the payment concerns of the TD. If "my TD" only accepted bitcoin, then I would pay by bitcoin.

Hope that helps!

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
Trusted Dealers could have a list of Trusted Buyers.

Great Idea... The TDs could share a list of "good" customers...
That could be done by them with a feedback info to the Forum Admins (here, on RWG, on RG...) who will update the list and share it with the TDs...:idea:

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Yes, however the only downside to Paypal Gift (or FF) is that it links to a debit account only (unless Paypal has updated to allow for credit cards for Paypal Gift) and the built-in paypal benefits are non-existent. I understand the benefits and protections for you (or other TDs) and its certainly worth considering. For me however, I'm fine paying the Paypal fee as mentioned above, but if the only option is Paypal Gift then I would want to have a better understanding of the fees (normally there arent any for domestic Paypal Gift payments). In other words, my preference would be Paypal (regular) and THEN Paypal Gift. But both options are preferable to regular credit card transactions because, depending on the financial institution, there could be automated fraud screening in place that may block credit card payments through TD websites (I've had that happen with Citi, Chase, and USAA). I'm curious to see if Citi may work better once they finalize their integration into UnionPay.

I hope that makes sense. Pretty much, in a nutshell, the buyer has the best options with normal Paypal (return shipping refunds, etc), but I understand the risks to the TD. That's why I agree with the idea of whitelisting forum members that that TD can trust...Trusted Dealers could have a list of Trusted Buyers.

But its also important for TDs to remember that forum members appreciate building a relationship with a TD, and the more enthusiastic members probably have a vested interest in making sure the TDs stay in business to supply this hobby. I try to accommodate the concerns of "my TD" when it comes to payments, e.g. breaking up a large transaction into smaller paypal payments (I just did this last week for a larger order). So I think the relationship will drive flexibility on the buyer's behalf to accommodate the payment concerns of the TD. If "my TD" only accepted bitcoin, then I would pay by bitcoin.

Hope that helps!

It makes perfect sense bro, I still think paying by FF payment is still the best option for both parties, for the buyer, although it doesnt have the buyer protection, you are buying from a TD and it is your best protection, if the TD screws up an order and doesnt take care of you, the forum will punish him more than a dispute does. For the seller (TD), an FF payment protects the TD from dispute (chargeback), the TD cannot prove anything if a buyer files a dispute with the reason "not as described", and I got disputes saying the product was counterfeit. You may say maybe only 0.1% of people would do this one just once can ruin the TD's PayPal account for good. Since the buyer is protected by the forum, and paying the FF fee is less than the regular payment fee. Even the dealer refund and the fee is minimal as well.

Again thank you for your input and it helped a lot :D

Reactions: preppyr6