• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Just bought my First Panarai Rep.What do I have?Good/BAd?

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
hey Koster, you are handling things the wrong way.

first...decide what watch you really want.

look for pics of the GEN on the internet.

check the offers / details / grades / prices / reputation of the dealer

compare their pics to the gen - check what movement the rep you want to buy has.

ask members about their experience with this model....and the details.......and what dealer has good and fair offer.

then.....search threads on the forum - ( why do you think members post THOUSANDS of threads - comparisons - pictures ? )

read a lot.....and finally decide where you want to buy your watch......and what grade of it.

the one you have.....140 $ max new. chinese ( cheap ) copie of the ETA 289X

i would not touch it....putting any money into it.....rather not.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
you paid your learningmoney here Koster, keep it but I wouldn't spend a dime on it anymore
I was lucky to have several Asian auto 21j from Narikaa, and they all still run after 7 months
Your name sounds dutch? :)Als je hulp nodig hebt, stuur ff een pm

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
yeah follow horologues advice. What you have is basically what everyone here has mentioned already :(

ouchie.

replacing that movement completely is possibly cheaper than having a smith repair it.

but since the watch is just one with an asian movement... ??

you can expect some higher quality watch from the dealers here... or check the member repsales sections... there's typically a good deal here and there for the used watches... unless you want something super accurate, then you'll probably have to find a repsale that is modded already... or buy a good base to mod on.

i've missed much on this forum!

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
brtelec said:
Why did RWG send you here. I am not complaining I am just curious. Hopefully you will find this to be a great place to spend your free time. Welcome.
Because they don't know. Did you really have to ask that B?

hooligan said:
Honestly, this watch is a poor base to start from for any modifications. If you want to start with a good watch and then make it great with a few choice mods, go with one of the "Ultimate" PAM104s from Jos_Nana/Joshua or TrustyWatchGuy/TrustyTime/Andrew or the PAM104 from Davidsen. *Those* watches are worth sinking more money into, this one is not. Sorry.
That thing is not a 164,165. Hell I don't know what it is.

koster88 said:
I didn't plan to mod this one, I was just curious to know how much the movement should have costed.
About $15.

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
We all have one of these at the beginning. no worries - try to get more advise from the guys on this thread and use a few of our dealers and you should be happy soon.

Natt

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
Welcome to the world of rep :) i had similar experience in the past. You just have to move on.

Just look at the bright side, you must have like the watch when you got it, so just wear it and stop worrying about other thing, at the end of the day it's only a rep whether it's good or bad :)

just like all my reps, i know they are not the best, but i like them all, so i'll keep wearing them even though people said that they are not good :)

just my 0.02c :)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
crick said:
i've missed much on this forum!

we've missed you too, good to see you around. Stop working so much. :D

good advice from crick.

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Could have been worse. Think of it this way... You could have spent $900 on a Rolex rep from perfectswiss.com to later find out it's a $250.00 rep (if your lucky). $200 is getting off easy. Lesson learned :D