• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is my SSD Version 1 or 2? I am not sure even with photos...

johng

Renowned Member
16/4/08
I posted this in another thread on differences in SSD version 2 but I think most people had already read the thread so I decided to start a new one... I purchased a SSD from Ruby and it arrived one week ago. Since she doesn't hold inventory (she told me she had to order it and I waited over a week before she received it and shipped) I thought there was a good chance this IS the second version but I can't really decide whether it is or isn't. I would have asked for one but didn't know it existed until AFTER it was on the way...

Thanks for any help. I can post more pics if needed but my understanding is the bezel is where the difference is.

One thing worth mentioning is that the insert came very slightly recessed - I expected it to be raised but when you run your fingernail over it the lip is higher than the insert... Good, right?

Thanks again!

ssd2.jpg

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Your's looks like the newer case. BK's pic:

SSD018.jpg

Your's has the thicker bezel.

johng

Renowned Member
16/4/08
Thanks Doc. I thought so too but wasn't totally sure and didn't want to get called out on my "version 1" while calling it a "version 2." THAT would be humiliating...

johng

Renowned Member
16/4/08
Thanks guys!

I thought it was but thought maybe it was wishful thinking... I was using that same pic of BK's that AD put up (and two others also in BK's offering post) but at times it seemed to look more like one at times more like another.

Thanks again to all of you!

D

d4m.test

I always complain the crystal on SSD v1 looks too tall, too comical. Tribal found the bezel isn't thicker but rather cut differently. It doesn't matter though. The bezel looks thicker and the crystal looks lower, very good enough for me. Here are pics of a SSD v2 with recessed insert. Look at the crystal height, very nice and not overlay tall, very very sweet:
2008-05-22018.jpg

2008-05-22004.jpg

2008-05-22008.jpg

2008-05-22009.jpg

2008-05-22002.jpg

2008-05-22013.jpg

-bk

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
sweet!

is proof that ingenuity of engineers

can acceptable fooling!

Life is Good!

Klink

:D

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
without know damn thing

cannot see how could..

johng

Renowned Member
16/4/08
BK,

Thanks for the pics and explanation. I don't know if you read my complete post but I mention that the insert on my SD was slightly recessed - you can feel it with your finger and in some pics you can see that the bezel rim picks up the light, not the edge of the insert. Is this normal on the v2? I am just curious if I got lucky or if they are trying to recess the bezel now?

Here is a pic that gives an idea:

3-1.jpg

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
internet photos

truth or consequences..

dunno, but

then

whatever

you think!

johng

Renowned Member
16/4/08
Klink said:
internet photos

truth or consequences..

dunno, but

then

whatever

you think!
Busted!

Yes, I photoshopped the pic to make it look like the insert is recessed to make other people jealous.

iceberg1459

Renowned Member
Certified
27/3/08
I guess the crystal is same shape as older version but the bezel is differently build. You can see the gap between insert and crystal.So it means its possible to put thicker bezel on v1.