• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A taste for busy chronos in recent superreps

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Ever notice the similarity of choices for the latest "1:1" superreps?

All busy chronos with incredible detailing: Chopard GTXL chrono grey dial, Porsche Flat 6 7750 chrono, Dewitt Academia, Graham Chronofighter.

Very consistent taste, and great choices. Seems like they are being made or at least commissioned by the same person.

the idea that the GTXL chrono is 100% part swappable is kind of amazing.

imagine what would happen if this level of fit-finish were applied to something so easy as a sub, or any pannie except for 048/050/092/186/164/229?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I wonder that too... And definitely the trend of bigger watches is here to stay.

Indeed... something like Paul Picot Le Plongeur and Ebel... not an average Joe knowing such watches.

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
These are somewhat complicated reps, too, relatively... So can someone explain to me why the rep makers can't get a frickin Submariner to be 1:1?? I still haven't heard a good reason.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
as long as peoples are buying subs

makers making

money

no reason to make new..

of course, trying to second guess chinese mind is waste of good subs time..

:D

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
People would pay $350+ for a 1:1 Sub... so it seems it would be worth it for rep makers to invest in this. It would be easy and cheap to fix the pearl, crown guards, blah blah..... But maybe you are right about second guessing the chinese mind..... it is a mystery..

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
swissaddict said:
People would pay $350+ for a 1:1 Sub... so it seems it would be worth it for rep makers to invest in this. It would be easy and cheap to fix the pearl, crown guards, blah blah..... But maybe you are right about second guessing the chinese mind..... it is a mystery..

Hell, people are paying a thousand plus for crappy subs. Thats how sites like Swissreplica stay in business. So why should the manufacturers give two good shits about the small anal retentive group of rep collectors.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
The last Monbrillant rep is such a disappointment... Maybe I will skip this one too, too busy for my taste.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Well the question of motivation is difficult to answer, except of course profit.

I do think some of the superreps were designed for the purposes of frank counterfeiting. I have seen Flat 6's and GTXL Chrono reps advertised on the web for much more than what we see on the cartel's sites. Even though they are disclosed as reps, they are marketed with "MSRPs" in the $1500 range, and sell prices in the 800 - 900 range. On Ebay, it will be difficult for any of us to distinguish between real and gen if they are 100% part swappable and block-out the serial numbers. Chaos will ensue.

If Panerai dealers are having to send some highly modded reps to HQ in order to determine authenticity (my AD told me this), just imagine the conniptions that 100% part swappable reps would cause, esp. if the rep makers started shadowing real serial numbers?

I have noticed also that they have picked on fairly small boutique marques to make superreps. I don't think any of them want another Hublot to come after them with a vengeance.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The writing is on the wall, they will make copies of these expensive obscure reps and base it on the Asian 7750 so they don't have to rely on the swiss nor worry about small flaws. Also, I am sure by the beginning of next year we should start seeing more 28.8 copies of the 2824 and 2892.

Brt said Shits, Brt said Shits.. :D

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Kinda agree with you JurgenK. However, I think the brand has little to do with the reps that we are getting. Look at Hublot reps. Despite strong opposition from the gen manufacturer (they even have documents pointing out this super rep), the repmakers continue to make more models of the Big Bang.

As you stated, my main concern is there are people who are taking advantage of current situation. They are selling these excellent reps as genuine articles.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Jurgenk said:
Well the question of motivation is difficult to answer, except of course profit.

On Ebay, it will be difficult for any of us to distinguish between real and gen if they are 100% part swappable and block-out the serial numbers. Chaos will ensue.

If Panerai dealers are having to send some highly modded reps to HQ in order to determine authenticity (my AD told me this), just imagine the conniptions that 100% part swappable reps would cause, esp. if the rep makers started shadowing real serial numbers?

I have noticed also that they have picked on fairly small boutique marques to make superreps. I don't think any of them want another Hublot to come after them with a vengeance.

I think that 100% swappable will not cause Chaos because Choppard, GP and others control their parts by having the AD order/install them. Will there be some fraud on the Bay, sure but there already is and most of the time it's so blatant that it's obvious to us and the real collectors. I mean, it will happen and it will always happen, and it sucks but buying on the net without documents is always risky.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
swissaddict said:

I have often wondered how much people would be willing to pay not only for the rep but for the aftersales service. I mean long term.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
well we already have the "noobfactory" submariner.. its pretty darn close.. but yeah do you think they care about making it absolutely perfect or do they think its 'good enough'?

Do you think they factorys sales would increase if they changed the pearl and ever so slightly changed the crown guards? Probably not. They are probably already selling as many watches as they can possibly pump out the front door.

dizz

dave123

Banned
20/3/07
Where is the damn Skyland,thats what we all want to know.... 8)

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Well LD. If they built the perfect rep that never broke then they'd sell less watches. Got to be planned obsolescence.

Oh crap which is the Skyland again?

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
L-dizzle said:
well we already have the "noobfactory" submariner.. its pretty darn close.. but yeah do you think they care about making it absolutely perfect or do they think its 'good enough'?

Do you think they factory's sales would increase if they changed the pearl and ever so slightly changed the crown guards? Probably not. They are probably already selling as many watches as they can possibly pump out the front door.

dizz

Well, the only thing about the noobmariner that bothers me is the small date window... thanks to that it looks like the mag is weak the other flaws like the pearl and CG can be easily fixed. :x Filling it makes it look uneven, so basically the only solution is to get a gen dial. :| Ooooor does anyone have a solution to this small date window problem besides filling it? I'm thinking of going a'la seadweller and have the cyclops removed until I can get my hands on a gen dial, what are your thoughts on doing that?

DSCN1056.jpg

@ FM. Breitling Avenger Skyland:

breilting-avenger-skyland-watch.jpg

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
super chronos in average reps..

or,

how to tempt fate..

yes, there are things that can

be done..