• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Some don't know....

hubrisin

22/4/08
A few weeks ago I went into my local Saks Fifth Avenue, looking at getting a new watch. Fore the lack of knowledge of the saleswoman, she was exceedingly nice and helpful. She complement me on watch and asked what brand it was, " a Paneria Luminor" her reply simply "oh I've never heard of that brand" You work in the watch department at a Saks and you've never heard of Panerai? Keep in mind my PAM was nothing to write home about, a coworker bought it for me in Hong Kong for $50 three years ago. The only mod was a new carbon fiber band and deployment clasp from Panatime.
The second store I went to sold Rolexes, all gens. Again same question from the clerk, she too liked my PAM. Are PAMs that obscure that few people know about them? In any event if most people don't know what a PAM is few will even be able to detect a gen.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
I had never heard of Panerai until I joined the rep forums, unlike Rolex which I think it might be implanted on everyones brain at birth :lol:.

mjcrna

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/6/06
You know, I was the same way . . . I didn't know what a Panerai was until I came to the replica forums. Its kinda a funny road here too . . . I have a 50th anniversary sub (greeny) gen . . . and a buddy of mine was admiring my watch at a wedding, and said "I've got a rolex too!" It's in my truck . . . believe me I knew something was up when "this guy" told me he had a rolex. He took me to his truck and pulled out a pepsi gmt. I was like wow! I owned a gen and really didn't know what to look for in a rep, i did the basic scan of the movement . . . .looked real to me. He said I'll take $50 bucks for it! I said what!!! he said it's a fake. I had no idea they made reps so realistic. Which lead me to doing some research which brought me hear a couple years ago. Here is where I'd learned of PAMs and I've fallen in love with them. I'd like a gen pam, perhaps one of the gmts, but I haven't decided which to get, so I've been experimenting with the reps. I think my next experiment will be one of DSN's 195 PVD (though I know of no gen series PVD fresh on market right now). I love that watch!

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
panerai figure rolex out

endorsements

hype

make product cost no more than USD$500 (at best)

costing way freako more..

too damn god of hilarious

an obamma too

lol

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
Saks does not sell Panerai, and the people there are only trained in their own inventory. Chances are that she previously sold bags of farts and watches were new to her.

I noticed people wearing these large interesting watches and asked about them, before discovering this website, and then the flood gates opened for me.

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
u have much

of luck

and interest

k

higgy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
17/3/06
I too didn't know about the Panerai watches until the forums. And quite frankly I couldn't figure out what all the comotion was about.... [smilie=dontknow.gif] But being a bit curious I ordered a 111H. A strange thing happens when you receive your first Pam in the mail and upen it up. It's not something that can be undone....... :shock: But for most I believe, it is a love affair with the brand of Panerai. You're thirst for knowledge of these large watches becomes a passion. A passion that can leave deep scars on your wallet... but a smile on your face :lol: :lol: :lol:

We won't even talk about straps :!:

Higgy 8)

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
what's funny is that when I arrived in my home airport from the GTG in San Fran, I noticed that the guy next to me had a panerai on. He told me the model but I forgot, it had a power reserve and was really nice. He commented... "not to many people know about panerai" and I replied... "but when they do, you know that they know their watches"... He made a nice comment about my Cousteau 07' and we both left feeling like we seen something that few would ever recognize what we were wearing...

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
WIS

in perso

a rare of meeting..

so, just how is it hat those airplane

dun falling from sky?

Bestens!

k

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
People just don't wear Pams that much. They're in the movies and all but not in the general public.

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
fakemaster said:
People just don't waer Pams that much. They're in the movies and all but not in the general public.

You could not be more wrong Fake-o. I see people wearing Pams here in Vegas as much as I see people wearing Rolex. They are very popular now. Every day at least 3 people come in where I work wearing a Pam, and almost always a conversation ensues, about the brand Panerai and how much passion there is for it among the collectors. Granted I see more affluent people than in Podunk Kansas, but there is little doubt what I am seeing is a fair reference to the general numbers of those buying this watch, Panerai. It grows daily.

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
Millions visit Vegas, and it is not a fantasy land inhabited by only movie stars, but represents a true cross section of the peoples of not only the US, but worldwide. There is no better place to gauge the popularity of anything than this town, because this is the worlds number one destination. So again, Fake-o what is your point?

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
Viva Las Vegas! [smilie=wav.gif] [smilie=tongue1.gif] [smilie=tongue1.gif]

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
i have known and drooled over Panerai since i was 12 - 14 years old. when i had communion my godfather told me he would buy me a watch...i shall pick one.
i chose a german made ZENTRA diver watch.....looking like a Pam, very basic. it cost 120 Deutsch Mark, which was a lot, a Pam did cost 1500.
untouchable. but there were black / white ads - very simple in several magazines.

Panerai trying to save their ass from going bancrupt. i remember a E 4 Gi, working in the Rod & Gun Club on post....he had bought a Panerai brandnew
on a weekend bus trip in italy for $ 800

a hell lot of money...when i was 16. ( 1982 )

Fish

14/1/08
You do have to feel sick that you did not start into PAMs back in these days when they were still priced by their realistic value, right?
I remember when they slowly started becoming more expensive in the early 1990s, I read a report about them in a magazine and loved them from the first moment. However, I was a young guy and it seemed beyond my means to pay near 2000,- DM for a watch. Should have stored a few of them instead of getting me a motorbike, considering what people pay for a 001 today, not to mention the Pre-V models. :oops:

cdubs

18/12/07
I like the obscurity of panerai because I dont know if I would like people thinking I have a 26000 dollar 1950 on. They just say what brand is that? Luminor? Cool watch. I'll take it.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Well, if you'd bought it new (they weren't NEARLY so popular when they were first released in 2002), you could have gotten it for less than $10K. I believe I even read a story about a guy buying one from an AD late in 2002 for ~$8K. Wish I had..... :(