• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New JF 15400 V4

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
mech500, since you have that nice gen 15400, post a clear close-up side view of the gen handstack. It will show what I mean.

Ah ok, will do on Tuesday mate.

Here’s a v3 pic I found on my phone. You think you could remove 0.1-0.2mm from bezel before crystal hits the CP?

9d74d87350bae3d36a0fbf1d6991827e.jpg

Also, is there a “spacer” of some description that you could machine back to lower the dial?

WTB PAM 243M HFv3 or Noob v2

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
That rep handstack is too tall if you compare it to gen: you need to shorten the CPs on the 9015 to bring the hands down a bit and then stake the hands where needed. This allows the bezel to be machined thinner.
Machining the movement holder/ mid-case to lower the dial does not work because then the movement moves down and rubs against the caseback.
The 9.8mm mod is so involved that after doing it 5 times for people, I am tired of it. Maybe when summer is over I will do it again for people, but my workshop is lately turning into a metal machining workshop at this point, and I am spending more than half the day doing things like below pic. I will still do machining as part of a larger project but the prospect of getting dozens of JF 15400s and maching large quantities of JF 15400 casebacks and bezels, and then shortening the 9015 CPs for all of them, and staking the delicate hands for a tighter stack is too much hassle for too little return. Maybe somebody can encourage spongebob to do this mod, if he does not do it already. Domi can also do it, I assume, for EU people.
We all know issuing a factory direct thinner 10mm 15400 V5 or V6 would probably be the ultimate end-game marketing strategy for JF: everybody with V1/V2/V3 will dump their watches and buy the new thinner model, even if they are cursing.
Today's fun:
iJjTr6p.jpg

mrjoe

22/8/15
Man, i completely got thinning ease wrong. Super informative posts here!

transteam

Known Member
23/6/17
That rep handstack is too tall if you compare it to gen: you need to shorten the CPs on the 9015 to bring the hands down a bit and then stake the hands where needed. This allows the bezel to be machined thinner.
Machining the movement holder/ mid-case to lower the dial does not work because then the movement moves down and rubs against the caseback.
The 9.8mm mod is so involved that after doing it 5 times for people, I am tired of it. Maybe when summer is over I will do it again for people, but my workshop is lately turning into a metal machining workshop at this point, and I am spending more than half the day doing things like below pic. I will still do machining as part of a larger project but the prospect of getting dozens of JF 15400s and maching large quantities of JF 15400 casebacks and bezels, and then shortening the 9015 CPs for all of them, and staking the delicate hands for a tighter stack is too much hassle for too little return. Maybe somebody can encourage spongebob to do this mod, if he does not do it already. Domi can also do it, I assume, for EU people.
We all know issuing a factory direct thinner 10mm 15400 V5 or V6 would probably be the ultimate end-game marketing strategy for JF: everybody with V1/V2/V3 will dump their watches and buy the new thinner model, even if they are cursing.
Today's fun:
iJjTr6p.jpg

Where do we get in line for the thinning work =D .
Myself and many others will be waiting, if you start up again

Reactions: corleone911

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
mech500, post a clear close-up side view of the gen handstack. It will show what I mean.

This is the best that I can do with my iPhone +£3 macro lens

079cb517a532d3078176ca3513da5b60.jpg

To my eyes the gen handstack looks exceptionally tall with a lot of clearance between dial and hour hand and hour hand and minute hand but I don’t really know what I’m looking at lol

WTB PAM 243M HFv3 or Noob v2

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Thanks mech500. Nice photo of a nice watch. I see I am compressing the handstack on the thinned JFs a little more than gen, but that is the trade-off, I suppose. It is not much of a difference looked at head on, but from the side, there is a difference under loupes and macro lenses.

Reactions: mech500

marthike

27/8/17
Really wish I bought the watch when (i forgot his name) was doing the thinning now I have settled for the V3 silver version.

mlp

Horology Curious
4/6/18
V.4 Update

1.thickness 9.8mm same as gen
2.improve the minor of tapisserie texture same as gen
3.New Re-Building ETA 2846 low beats 21,600 & full decorated design 1:1 Cal.3120 same as gen
4.improve DW font thinner close to gen
5.improve font logo on the top & bottom same as gen
6. Price 598$

7.Wake me up.....Hah hah

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
V.4 Update

1.thickness 9.8mm same as gen
2.improve the minor of tapisserie texture same as gen
3.New Re-Building ETA 2846 low beats 21,600 & full decorated design 1:1 Cal.3120 same as gen
4.improve DW font thinner close to gen
5.improve font logo on the top & bottom same as gen
6. Price 598$

7.Wake me up.....Hah hah

2846 is way too thick for this.
same thickness will one be achieved by cloning a ultra thin base movement like the 3120 or 2121 (which is not correct for this particular model)

Logos are decent and good enough

BUT if the rep it well with all the minor differences refined - i would gladly pay 600 bucks... No problem

zilli0n

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/17
So there is a v4 coming soon ? Is it sure ?
I actually ask my TD to source a v3... Maybe wait a bit if it's sure a best v4 is coming...

watchtiger

22/11/16
And here I am patiently waiting for a proper Royal Oak Chronograph with correct seconds and a decent thickness-thinness-size ratio.

Bogdanoff

Horology Curious
14/6/18
Just make the case and bezel straight for the first time. How about that? They look like a 12 year old made them. Look at it from the side and you will see bezel and case do not align. Worse, bezel is shaped wrong on all angles.

micomp3

Known Member
13/5/16
I hope they vastly improve and nail the printing of "SWISS MADE"

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
This seems like pure bullshit. JF is making minor changes (some better / some worst) with almost every new batch release.
most likely we won’t see v4 (major upgrades) anytime soon.

Bogdanoff

Horology Curious
14/6/18
This seems like pure bullshit. JF is making minor changes (some better / some worst) with almost every new batch release.
most likely we won’t see v4 (major upgrades) anytime soon.

I wish they would fix the damn cases, the whole cases are crooked. Why is that? I had 40 dollar watches which were straight...

Bogdanoff

Horology Curious
14/6/18
http://trustytimestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=241_246&products_id=18029

Video from Trustys shop. Look at 00.31. Upper case, caseback and middle case are not aligned. Totally not aligned. Also, the lines are not straight on the middle case in many cases, meaning they are crooked. I have seen 5 of them now and they all do have it. Reshaping is not possible, the amount would damage the whole cases optic beyond reparation. Same goes for the edges of the bezel. I do not understand why since the parts are actually not too hard to manufacture.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Come on lol nobody sees that on your wrist ive even seen such issues on Gen. As an example i saw yesterday a hublot classic fusion with crooked midlinks so yeah nothing is perfect

Edit: on my V2 its lined up and on the picture here in the thread too