• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[RWcc Exclusive] IWC Aquatimer 3719 vs Cousteau Divers 2006

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well, I wrote this one as an exclusive, many parts articles and with pretty good pictures on our sister's site RWcc. I would love to share this on this forum as well. <--- which makes not so exclusive anymore... but hey! It's worthy, no?

First and foremost, I hope that this comparison review will clear up some questions with regards to both IWC Aquatimer models, namely 3719 "Slevin" and Cousteau Divers 2006 edition. Eventually, the decision to get/appreciate/sell these replica watches is entirely yours.

Today I have received 2 pieces IWC Aquatimer 3719 rep from my friend, guru. These 2 watches come with defective daywheel quickset/set function. Simply that daywheel didn't move when you use quickset from the crown and it didn't advance to the next day when you set the time via the crown too. It appeared that the daywheel was stucked in the middle. This is a very similar problem from what I have on my Tag Heuer Aquaracer chronograph. Solution is pretty simple, we have to remove the hands and dial and set the daywheel properly. In addition to that a retainer ring is added between the dial and the daywheel. This retainer ring comes from an ETA7750 movement. Most of the reps doesn't have it. That's probably the reason why the daywheel slipped off from its position.

However, that's not the highlight of this article. I am going to make a side by side comparison of IWC Aquatimer Slevin and its so called another replica IWC Aquatimer Cousteau Divers 2006 which was released about half a year ago.

Initially I thought that these 2 reps come from the same factory. However, later on many said that the Slevin is made by the same factory as Omega "Ultimate" Planet Ocean replica. In contrast, Cousteau Diver rep is made by the same factory as HBB (I don't know how true is this claim) but it's highly probable that both reps are manufactured not by the same factory.

Without further ado, let's start this comparison.

Case diameter
: as stated on the specs, Aquatimer 3719 has slightly smaller case diameter than Cousteau Divers 2006.

Movement: Both comes with Asian 7750 hi beat movement. An upgrade to ETA7750 is available out of box for both models... However, this is gonna cost you twice/2.5x of initial price for both watches.

Dial size: they are the same size. This makes the watch looks almost similar in size.

Chronograph function: they are the same. Both has traditional 7750 layout.

Day and date function: As you can see, they are also the same. Day and date functions come with both reps. However, please take note that both rep come with wrong date and dayfont out of the box. Upgrade to ETA7750 is possible. Of course an ETA day and datewheel is possible too.

Inner rotating bezel: This is probably an interesting area to be observed. Both comes with similar functionality of inner rotating bezel set by the crown/chronograph pusher at 4 o'clock position. Just by the feel, inner rotating bezel turns pretty easily and smoothly on Aquatimer Slevin with relatively firmer and louder click sound than Cousteau Divers. Both have a total of 60 clicks. On Aquatimer 3719, inner bezel can centre at 12 o'clock position pretty easily. Whereas, many have experienced difficulty to centre inner bezel ring on CD. In this regards, I should give Aquatimer Slevin a good mark. (Remarks: this is just the beginning... don't be too happy that I give Aquatimer Sleving a good mark). Some of you may ask, why is it easier to turn the bezel on 3719? Reason is... A different retaining plate! IWC CD has relatively thicker retainer plate for inner rotating bezel's teeth.

This is on Aquatimer Slevin:
DSCN1482.jpg

Crystal: As many would expect, this forms a key consideration for buying today's rep. On both models, certainly they have shown vast improvement over rep watches released 2-3 years ago. However, this is the area where Aquatimer Slevin falls short. This replica comes with only single sided AR coating. Although it exhibits "blue tint", it's barely effective to reduce reduction. Meanwhile, Cousteau Divers shows a good edge in this regard. Very nicely done double sided AR coating on the crystal. It fends off reflection pretty good and most importantly, the tint looks very close, if not similar, to genuine article. Crystal thickness: It's noticeable that CD rep has thicker crystal than 3719. However, when viewed from the side (at a large angle), the crystal on CD exhibits bottle effect, where the dial is not visible anymore. However, this is the characteristic of this crystal. You can see this effect on genuine Panerai watches as well. On 3719, it doesn't have this effect. Most likely it's closely related to crystal thickness.

Rotor: Stickers on CD but engraved on 3719.

====== Part 2
Let's get started with whatever we have left last time.

Rotor:
I have seen a few posts raising concern about stickers on the rotor of IWC CD 2006 falling off. This is however not the case on my piece. On the day I swapped the movement on CD2006 to ETA7750, the stickers on the rotor were/are perfectly intact. However, just to play safe, I agree that sticker on the rotor is not the best idea. I would recommend removing these letterings on the rotor or just replace the rotor with ETA7750's rotor (they are interchangeable and genuine ETA7750 OEM rotor doesn't cost much). Slevin has gained another plus point here...

Rotor on CD2006:
DSCN8374.jpg

Rotor on Slevin:
DSCN1484.jpg

Rehaut:
This is an interesting issue and is closely related to crystal thickness. Another tell tale sign which I am very sure that Slevin comes with a thinner crystal than CD2006. Rehaut depth! You can just from the picture below, the 2 watches have different rehaut depth. The dial on CD2006 appears to be closer to you than it really is (you can see from the picture to get what I mean). Thicker crystal makes the appearance that the dial is really near to the crystal.

DSCN1564.jpg

DSCN1566.jpg

This one is another point of view, you can see that different rehaut depth. I have confirmed this on the genuine article. Cousteau has really spot on rehaut thickness.
Cousteau:
DSCN1548.jpg

3719:
DSCN1549.jpg

At the same time, the picture above confirms non seriousness of glass bottle effect which is present on the CD2006. It is different from Omega SMP rep or Panerai rep glass bottle effect. This effect only appears at very steep angle. I can say that it's really more like Breitling SFSO rep(sapphire, double AR). Mind you, the Breitling Steelfish replica/genuine has 5mm thick sapphire.

Crown and Chronograph Pushers:
They leave clues that these 2 replica watches come from a different factory. It's not that straightforward to see from the following pictures but the feeling is different. Cousteau has a relatively excellent "cut"/mold on both crown and chrono pushers. Having said that, the crown and pushers on Slevin has its own merit too. They feel more "sharp" and well defined but the crown on Slevin has inferior feel to Cousteau's. A good test will when you are winding the movement via manual wind and screwing out/in the crown from the crown tube. Simply Cousteau has that butter smooth and genuinely sturdy feeling.
Slevin has an advantage when turning inner bezel ring. However, this has got nothing to do with the pushers; the issue lies on inner bezel click plate which I have described earlier. Another simple test will be; turning in the pushers when the plate is removed.... It feels solid and the gear on another side of the pusher has done its job wonderfully for both model.

Half watch head view of CD2006:
DSCN1556.jpg

Half watch head view of Slevin:
DSCN1555.jpg

Stacked Slevin and CD2006:
DSCN1496.jpg

Pushers at 4 o'clock position on CD2006 (you can notice the bottle effect here):
DSCN1545.jpg

Pushers at 4 o'clock position on Aquatimer 3719:
DSCN1541.jpg

======
Part 3
Rubber Strap:
This 2 watches have different rubber strap quality. The strap on 3719 is pretty thick on the lug but it's very flexible. On another hand, the strap on CD2006 is thinner on the lug (perhaps this is due to the design) but it has stiffer material and is better finished than the strap on Slevin. I have done a small test. I would like to call it a "chalk test". I put a small amount of chalk powder on both rubber straps. On CD2006, it's really easy to remove this chalk, without using any amount of water. However, on Slevin, it's not that straightforward to clean this chalk. I just used my hand to clean it on CD whereas on Slevin, I used a wet cloth to get the chalk of.
I would say that this test is a reflection on how effective the rubber strap in repelling dust.

Here you go for your comparison (sadly I have no pictures with the chalk):
DSCN1509.jpg

DSCN1526.jpg

Buckle:
Again, buckle aren't on these 2 watches. It's a tough call here really but I have a feeling that both are close to the genuine thing. I would give them a draw here:

DSCN1510.jpg

DSCN1538.jpg

DSCN1540.jpg

=====
Part 4
Case Construction:
On the left hand side of the watch, these watches reveal more differences. It's however very difficult to see from the following picture. You need to have the watch on your hand and feel it yourself. CD2006 has much better/tighter tolerance than Slevin. You can feel that there's actually a gap between outer bezel (holding the crystal) and the watch case itself. On Slevin, this part is really sharp. You can feel it with your hand. In contrast, Cousteau joined these 2 parts gracefully, without sharp edges.

DSCN1492.jpg

DSCN1495.jpg

The part which is I am talking about is the polished and brushed bezel on the watch.

====
Part 5
Lume:
What's a diver's watch replica without a good lume? A dead giveaway.... Cousteau Divers 2006 achieves really high mark in this regard. I agree the lume on the bezel is not perfect (weakest on this watch) and one of the culprit of "dust problem" on CD2006. This problem doesn't really exist on CD2007 though. However it is, lume on the hands and dial are really good on Cousteau Divers 2006/07. It comes to a point that reluming this piece isn't really necessary but I really leave it up to you.
In contrast, Slevin comes with disappointing lume job. First of all, the dial has less surface area for the lume. Secondly, the hands have inferior lume than CD. Lastly, the worst of all... Bezel doesn't come with any lume. Please bear in mind that the hands are actually the same size for both model. Neglecting surface area of the lume on the dial, CD still emerges as a superior product here.

IWC CD 2006 dial and hands relumed:
DSCN8471.jpg

IWC CD 2006 dial and hands original:
DSCN7640.jpg

IWC Aquatimer 3719 Slevin:
DSCN1485.jpg

=====

Well... So far these are the areas which I feel worthy mentioning. Please feel free to ask me any questions/more parts of this comparison if necessary.

I will write my conclusion soon at the next post.

sam_tgg

Known Member
18/8/06
Increible review. Fantastic, compleate, superb photos!!!

Many thanks Taka!!!

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Have the basic quality control issues been addressed with these watches? I remember the Cousteau had about every basic fault that a fake watch could have. Have they impoved?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well, as with replica watches, the 2 Slevin comes with dislodged daywheel (I am aware of this problem) and the CD 2006 has a slight dust problem. It's nothing serious (i.e.: unfixable stuff).

However, I have seen recent batch of 2006 and 2007 CD. They are all good (no dust problem).

Panama

10/9/06
Outstanding job taka, I really enjoyed reading this one! :)

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I guess it's time for me to write a conclusion on my posts.

After careful consideration, I would declare IWC CD2006 as the winner. As a watch, it's built like a tank. Taking a closer look, it's also closer to the genuine article out of the box (mainly because of double AR coated crystal, correct lume on all parts and also the case construction). On the other hands, Slevin comes really close to this watch. With recent release of Slevin on bracelet, it's gonna up the ante. I am sure that many are interested in getting this piece with bracelet. A genuine bracelet for Aquatimer model Stainless Steel (CD) will set you back about 800USD in the US and 800Eur in Germany, so I am sure it's not an option for rep buyers.

Please be aware that I have just received a CD2007. It's equally good like the 2006 version and I would say that this replica is definitely one of the best around. It's just a matter of taste, if you are considering all 3 watches. Really, you can't go wrong with these recent reps.

I hope you do enjoy reading this comparison review. Good luck, good day and please stay tune for more comparison review :p

ecsm

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/07
I have a CD06 and I just received a CD07. I can't add much to takahashi's very detailed review but I feel the inner rotating bezel is alot more smooth on the CD07 vs the CD06. Maybe it's a matter of luck but the day/date wheel on the CD07 lines up alot better than my CD06.

Either way both are great watches and thanks to takahashi for the great review.

Pizzanooo

Renowned Member
17/3/06
Great review takashi, It takes a great deal of time to do this sort of review.
Just saw you have the 2007 Cousteau now. I have had one since the first week they were offered. It`s definitely very accurate along with good looks, and have had no issues with it.
Looking forward to see your review on it as well.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I am revising this comparison review... Verdict may change :p Surprise may be on the horizon.

ra-man1234

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/8/07
takashi, great review. I have noticed that some dealers are stating double AR on the Slevin. Is there a new batch of these that now have double AR, or is this not correct in your opinion and they are still really single AR? Also, do you have any opinions on the Slevin with SS bracelet? I am about to buy one and I am curious if it is any better than the one with rubber strap. Thanks!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Sorry for the delay. My camera just stopped working a few days ago (problem with the lens). I will try to take pictures upon receiving my new camera.
I have not seen the double AR version of this watch so I can't give you my opinion on that. The difference with the rubber strap version is just a matter of watch band (bracelet vs. not-so-good rubber) on 3719 Slevin.

Anyway here is a good reference pictures of genuine Cousteau Divers 2007. It is taken from genuine online watch store based in Singapore.
8305-IWC1.jpg

8305-IWC2.jpg

8305-IWC3.jpg

8305-IWC.jpg

8305-IWCBK.jpg

8305-IWCBox.jpg

8305-IWCM.jpg

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
Great review taka! I've got an 06 CD on the way so this is useful info.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
this is an awesome review. were there any wristshots for eitehr of these?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Wrist shot:
DSCN0461.jpg

Sorry no wrist shot for the Slevin 3719. However, the size difference is not that much.