• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

my "new" watch

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
birthday's just around the corner and having completed a very traumatic second yr in medicine, i've decided to reward myself w a watch that is about US3K..i was looking at vintage pieces like the 1675 gmt master 1, 5513 submariner, 16800 transitional sub, tudor submariners, franken 1655 explorer 2, franken tudor monte carlo, omega speedmaster 321, heuer autavia and a sinn. however, after talking to several watchmakers, dealers and collectors, the general advice were:

1- don't go vintage, u're likely to burn ur fingers either by buying, unknowingly, an original watch w non original replacement parts or by the rapid and sometimes huge fluctuations in prices..

2- don't go for a rolex..they've stopped producing parts for the 157x calibers and other vintage parts. prices will continue to rise but wearing the watch will be nerve wrecking cause of the fear of damaging the watch

3- u can't wear your vintages every day, every where..why spend so much on a watch u can't enjoy everyday?

4- there are too many versions of the speedmasters around, from the 321 to 861 and the 1861..and each w their own special editions, etc etc.

5- try not to follow the trend..it'll be very expensive and u will get burnt..instead, try predicting the trend by going for something that is not hot or not so hot at the moement from a reputable brand with a long history.

so..with all these in mind..i've finally decided on this:

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0665a.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0652a.jpg

IMG_0649a.jpg

a ulysse nardin marine diver w base movement eta 2892-a2, made of rubber, titanium and steel..searched and bought it preowned to keep the price low. UN because of it's long history, relative uncommon-ness and brands recent achievements w the line of freaks ( :) ), minute repeaters, perpetual calanders, etc etc. i could have gone with the 43mm maxi marine diver but chose the 40mm marine diver instead cause i think the size looks kinda good on my wrist. :)

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I love the UN Marine Divers, az! A fantastic choice, IMO. Enjoy it and congrats on your personal milestone!

cntrl

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/10/06
congrats on the new watch...and finishing 2nd yr med!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
You deserve it, my friend. Nice looking watch and a good bargain. You've got yourself a relatively low running serial number too. Congratulations, wear it in good health. All in all, you have made a right decision by buying this piece. Price won't go down on this piece.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
It is the first UN I have seen that I liked the styling. Very nice watch, congratulations.

DuDro

3/8/06
I'm jealous! :mrgreen:

I've always liked these watches....Here's my favorite version:

DSC00727.jpg

Wear it well!

crick

1/8/06
i saw one of these in person. Real nice watch, like the rubber strap and how it's customized to fit.

yeah, one particular collector of rolexes (he has nearly every model of gen rolexes in his cabinet, including white and black dial daytonas!!! :eek: ) also told me to veer away from vintages unless you like franken rollies b/c rolex has stopped manufactuing gen parts or mvmnt parts.

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
very nice choice, indeed ! i hope this beautiful watch will motivate you to keep up with your challenging profession.
i have seen this watch in real live, and a former member has a similar one....beautiful.
you have done well, good choice that you also reward yourself. you earned it...if your happy, your patients will be also.

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
Nice one ! I like it :)
Now you only need a captain's cap and a yacht - LOL!

cheers,
babola

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
cheers guys! :) glad u guys like the watch too. :) i didn't think i'll enjoy it (buyer's remorse) cause it's so different from what i have now and what i've been attracted to (vintage subs, panerais..the classic dive watch look and huge watches) but i'm really enjoying the quality of this piece. i'll have to take some really close up shots soon.

the watch has quite a few flaws tho..the crown is wobbley, VERY wobbley..the construction of the case is such that a part of the crown tube is exposed. lastly, the caseback is etched instead of engraved.. :S i believe i'm nitpicking.. :)

the lume on this is pretty good on the dial and excellent on the hands and bezel pearl. i have a feeling that the dial might have been lumed w tritium and the hands and pearls with SL. they glow colour is a lil bit different; hands give a greener glow and the dial gives a yellowish glow.

i ~nearly couldn't make it past second year cause of the crazy exams (a medical reasoning exam and a series of practical stations that u have to complete within 6 minutes w 1min rest inbetween) ..was so glad i did!

crick

1/8/06
i went to optometry school for a year before i switched to art and am now in the entertainment industry. I know some of hte pressure you guys go through. I also have a bro who finished med school last year and is doing his residency in the air force - he's striving to get flight surgeon status.

After second year, now you guys get to make rounds in the hospital aye? and more patient involved 3rd and 4th year woooo!

in regards to the nardin, i've always liked it's interesting rubber strap and how it wraps around the wrist - that part where it connects to the lugs? always thought that was cool.

u dont see UN's around much. at least i dont. it's rollie this and patek that.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
horologie_unitas said:
i have seen this watch in real live, and a former member has a similar one....beautiful..

h-u are you refferring to Rupert (lovepanerai). He had a very nice looking UN at the GTG...and I am still kicking myself because Mossafarian jewler at the hotel I stay closed their doors and was selling all UN watches for 50% off, now that was a great deal and I blew it by not buying one. :x

Oh well very nice watch azgjav...enjoy and keep up the good work in med school. :D

marcel

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/07
Congratulations!

Ulysee Nardin is always innovative in their movements and designs. A young (reborn) manufacturing house that has quickly made a great reputation and seems IMHO destined to surpass many other manufactures. Wear it in good health. :D

MK08

Renowned Member
3/4/07
GREAT choice for a gen! I love the UN diver's, and I'm not just saying that because I own one :wink: Mine is a Maxi Diver with grey dial, they are great watches, enjoy the new addition!

Here's a quick pic of mine:
Picture161.jpg

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
cheers guys! i'm enjoying my watch, hell a lot more than i initially expected. :)

Patek986

28/12/06
You made a great choice, UN's are very classy and stand out. I really like your choice!