• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

which one? UPO or Aquaracer?

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
OK

You only have enough money for one. The UPO has a nice nickel plated true ETA 2824
and the Aquaracers have the new 7750

They're both "Super reps"

The people have their opinion...

To you, which one has the best value for the money?

Keep in mind criteria like:
(not in any particular order)
good look (appearance)
reliabiltiy
solid make, feel
accuracy

which one should get my money?

po3-3.jpg

l
blue or black face
tag_aquaracer002.jpg

TAG0020SWC_3.jpg

okabum

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/4/07
UPO, but check orange colour, must be brightness, normally reps doesn´t have enought.

dylan

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/07
Nevada and California
@C: don't you have a bunch of UPOs already?

Between the 2 colors for the Tag, go for the black dial. I'm always nervous on how close rep 'blues' are to gen 'blues'

JohnnySac

10/9/06
To me, anything Swiss Pwns Asian, especially the 7750 copy that is hit or miss, supposing it is the 28,800 model.

I never wore my UPO, since the day I got it and took pictures of it when my mom was in the hospital for End stage CHF....It has a Gen Rubber strap as well.
Just a heads up to you as it will be for sale in the sales section in a few hours

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
I do not understand the first paragraph in your post??
:?

STUGOTZ said:
To me, anything Swiss Pwns Asian, especially the 7750 copy that is hit or miss, supposing it is the 28,800 model.

I never wore my UPO, since the day I got it and took pictures of it when my mom was in the hospital for End stage CHF....It has a Gen Rubber strap as well.
Just a heads up to you as it will be for sale in the sales section in a few hours

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
@ JB

I hear you sir, the PO is a beauty....

Did you ever have the Aquaracer in your hand??

Those who have had both, please chime in... :D

jb

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
7/9/06
caravaggio said:
@ JB

I hear you sir, the PO is a beauty....

Did you ever have the Aquaracer in your hand??

Those who have had both, please chime in... :D

D4m and I tried ont he gen in Vegas. He owns the rep version, but I have not seen it in person yet. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed in the gen bracelet. It has a really cheap feel to it, and I can't see the rep being any better.

I would put the one on rubber for sure.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Ok, I'll chime in here..

I own both the Aquaracer (that's my pic of the blue one :D ) and the Orange UPO with the ETA 2824.

As JB said, the bracelet is pretty cheap feeling (not to the extreme, but not the same quality as the UPO by far), but with that said, the Gen bracelet is pretty shitty as well.

I will list some points that stick out in my mind.

The UPO is heavier than the Aquaracer (if the upo is 130 grams, the Aquaracer is 115 grams (not a true measurement))
You will be hard pressed to find a UPO with a properly aligned dial.
The UPO and the Aquaracer both have MAJOR pain in the ass bracelets when it comes to sizing. Both are about equally pains.
The Aquaracer is 70% more comfortable on your wrist.
I got more satisfaction wearing the UPO than I did wearing the Aquaracer.... but...
For some reason the Aquaracer is getting more wrist time!
The pearl on the UPO will drive you nuts! trust me.

If I had to purchase them again, it would be very difficult picking one over the other, but I have to say that I would probably get the UPO now because there are no shortages of the asian 7750 that is in the Aquaracer, also given the fact that the UPO has been out for more than a year longer than the Aquaracer, it would be first to go out of production if they were crazy enough to do that!

If I were allowed only one watch, I would choose the UPO 60 / 40 over my Tag Aquaracer.

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
thanks a million Dayto for this comprehensive chime in

HHMMM

sounds to me like it is close enough to call it a toss....but I also agree that, despite all the super reps that came out after the UPO, the UPO still holds its reigning place as a kick ass watch...not just because the heft of the watch and bracelet, the finish and the attention to details but also because of the overall beauty of the design:
slick, quiet, subtle yet classy and sporty....

UPO is one of the only watch that show NO "hard edged" design elements, no square angle on bezel, almost aerodynamic hour markers that look like they will fire off like super sharp looking rockets....

The Aquaracer is chunkier looking, more abrupt square angles like on the bezel and the buckle being very square...

HHMMM

Dayto, i agree about the upcoming scarcity of the ETAs...but I do not worry: I am confident that someone somewhere will come up with a decent replacement that will match up to the ETA

jb

Advisor
7/9/06
The UPO is heavier than the Aquaracer (if the upo is 130 grams, the Aquaracer is 115 grams (not a true measurement))
True, the UPO is the heaviest watch I have EVER owned. You never forget that you are wearing it.

You will be hard pressed to find a UPO with a properly aligned dial.
...but it is possible. I have one. :wink:

The UPO and the Aquaracer both have MAJOR pain in the ass bracelets when it comes to sizing. Both are about equally pains.
It is not that hard if you have a good pair of needle nose to grab the pin. It is even easier if you have a pin pusher made for Omegas.

The Aquaracer is 70% more comfortable on your wrist.
This is probably true. Like I said above, you never forget that you are wearing the PO. Also, at times it seems as though you can feel the engraving on the caseback.

I got more satisfaction wearing the UPO than I did wearing the Aquaracer.... but...
Omega or Tag? Is this even a question?

For some reason the Aquaracer is getting more wrist time!
It must be the comfort thing. I refer to the previous statement; "Omega or Tag?" I guess it is a question.

The pearl on the UPO will drive you nuts! trust me.
True, it is green, but it seems easy to refill. I'll be doing mine soon.

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
I like the blue aquaracer and the white aquaracer.. UPO has some issues, aquaracer may even be a better built watch.

Aesthetically the UPO wins, but the aquaracer isn't too bad.

I'm more of a 42.5mm 4th gen fan than anything so I'm biased, but I put my vote toward the aquaracer. I'd like to mod my PO one day with just the crown, everything else is good enough. You can wear either PO into a watch shop and they won't call you out even if you take it off your wrist. A trained eye should know though that it is suppose to have a serial number etched in it. I wonder if there's a place where I can get one engraved that small into it.

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
Your last paragraph was not very clearly written to me but I think you are saying that your 4th gen PO has no serials engraved on the lug?

The UPO (which is only the 45mm model) has the engraved serials.

You're right, if you wear your UPO in a watch shop that has no Omegas...you wont get called on it. I have been to one many times where they do sell Omegas and, as long as they dont examine it with a microscopic eye,loupe,etc, your watch will pass as gen.

What issues are referring to on the UPO?? The logo? The markers?

I wonder if the Aquaracer would easily pass in a Tag dealer shop and .......

what are the flaws on the Aquaracer....not too many people chatting on this particular watch....I just dont think people like Tag heuer that much to start with....after all, it has always been a brand snobbed for using too much quartz in their models and, in all reality, their watches in the 80's and 90's were nothing but shit. Even their Kirium, which is now off the collection, cant even keep good resale value....

Now I am wondering: is it wise for the rep Makers to bother repping most Tag Heuers????

amptor said:
I like the blue aquaracer and the whitequaracer.. UPO has some issues, aquaracer may even be a better built watch.

I'm more of a 42.5mm 4th gen fan than anything so I'm biased, but I put my vote toward the aquaracer. I'd like to mod my PO one day with just the crown, everything else is good enough. You can wear either PO into a watch shop and they won't call you out even if you take it off your wrist. A trained eye should know though that it is suppose to have a serial number etched in it. I wonder if there's a place where I can get one engraved that small into it.

JohnnySac

10/9/06
caravaggio said:
I do not understand the first paragraph in your post??
:?

STUGOTZ said:

What I meant was the difference in movements.
UPO, with a Swiss ETA movement is a better choice than an Asian movement, specifically the Asian 7750, a copy of a swiss Valjoux.

I do think the Aqua Racer looks better, but the unreliability factor of the Asian 7750 has kept me from getting one, although the 28,800 bph version is a better choice versus the older Asian copy's specs.

jb

Advisor
7/9/06
I have no doubt that the Aquaracer would pass as well as a Link, and I'm sure D4M would agree. I'd still go with the UPO.

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
Hmm looks clear enough, opposed to my other posts on various boards lately that is :lol:

Anyway, I don't have any UPO and you probably are right that the UPO has the engraving, I haven't looked in a while. I think the aqua terra does too.

Well UPO and 4th gen tend to have issues with the dial markers falling apart within the first month and also I've seen people have problems with the crown stripping or getting stuck on the UPO.

I would have to agree with you on your comments about Tag Heuer, but the watches do catch my eye when on display at a jeweler.

Also I've heard argument at the AD that the Omega has a better built movement inside than a rolex, but I don't believe that. I've seen Omegas go for 2 1/2 years and stop running, whereas people in this financial district I am in are too stupid to service their old Rolex and they still run like a champ after 7+ years. So this is why I don't put all my money into one pot on a genuine Omega. If I bought a gen, I'd get a Rolex even if the movement is old fashioned and not co-axial. However I tend to prefer Seiko for various reasons.

caravaggio said:
Your last paragraph was not very clearly written to me but I think you are saying that your 4th gen PO has no serials engraved on the lug?

The UPO (which is only the 45mm model) has the engraved serials.

You're right, if you wear your UPO in a watch shop that has no Omegas...you wont get called on it. I have been to one many times where they do sell Omegas and, as long as they dont examine it with a microscopic eye,loupe,etc, your watch will pass as gen.

What issues are referring to on the UPO?? The logo? The markers?

I wonder if the Aquaracer would easily pass in a Tag dealer shop and .......

what are the flaws on the Aquaracer....not too many people chatting on this particular watch....I just dont think people like Tag heuer that much to start with....after all, it has always been a brand snobbed for using too much quartz in their models and, in all reality, their watches in the 80's and 90's were nothing but shit. Even their Kirium, which is now off the collection, cant even keep good resale value....

Now I am wondering: is it wise for the rep Makers to bother repping most Tag Heuers????

amptor said:
I like the blue aquaracer and the whitequaracer.. UPO has some issues, aquaracer may even be a better built watch.

solchitlins

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/11/07
I say UPO!
It's a Bold and Sexy Dive watch.

Tag's don't do it for me.

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
amptor said:
Also I've heard argument at the AD that the Omega has a better built movement inside than a rolex, but I don't believe that. I've seen Omegas go for 2 1/2 years and stop running, whereas people in this financial district I am in are too stupid to service their old Rolex and they still run like a champ after 7+ years. So this is why I don't put all my money into one pot on a genuine Omega. If I bought a gen, I'd get a Rolex even if the movement is old fashioned and not co-axial. However I tend to prefer Seiko for various reasons.

caravaggio said:
HHHMM

Interesting argument.

I also heard the opposite. In fact i once came across an internet site that was pretty focussed on high end Swiss watches but had a section just on ranting and posting their bad experience with Rolex watches. Movement crapping out on them, not keeping the greatest time, bezel falling off,etc ,etc....Many of these people had one common complaint: the after sale customer service was not the best and other Swiss watch companies had better service and in fact, the best customer service is seen in a non-Swiss outfit: Seiko.
To me, one the of the biggest dicouragement in owning a gen Swiss is everything that comes after you buy one:
1-the exhorbitant insane cost for repair and service
2-the amazingly long wait/turn around for your watch to come back from a service
3-and sometime the bad repair job the AD / Dealer performs on your watch.

example: my quartz Seamaster has a slightly loose bezel and it needs repair:
will believe what i was quoted?

MINIMUM OF $200 just for them to look at it and fix it. And I have to wait up to 2 months to get it back.

And it's only for a bezel repair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No wonder why I keep coming back to reps...............

:roll: