• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help pick a dial for 001: River vs. Angus

avitt

23/4/06
This board is loaded with PAM experts, so I figured I'd get some god input on this question:

I am looking forward to completing an 001, using some nice parts that have been sitting in my box for a long time (including a Jimmie case and crown guard). But I've been waiting for the right dial.

About a year ago, I picked up the following dial from River. (This was back when all of the sausage dials had "L Swiss L" printed too close to the "6"):

img2058tc4.jpg

I was never quite satisfied with this one, so I never sent it out to be lumed.

Then, recently, I read very good things about Angus' new 111e dial...So I bought one of those:

img2050fr8.jpg

This dial is very sharp, but I'm struck by how thin the font is...Particularly the "1" in "12".

So, what's the verdict? Should I go with either of these, or just keep holding out for a better option? (Whichever one I pick will be lumed, so color is not an issue). Thanks for you input.

maxmlian

8/11/06
Re: Please help me pick a dial for an 001

Also remember the 001B could also be find with a T dial, that is my dream watch that Im working on.
Or also you could forget the whole thing and sell the parts to me :D :D

of the two present I think angus dial is the better one espacially after a relume

avitt

23/4/06

Thanks for the input, maxmlian. Yeah, I'm aware that the 001B also came with the T dial, and that would be perfect...Do you know of a source for a nice tritium dial?

On a side note, here's a picture of the orginal dial for my 001:

img2052pc2.jpg

...This is one of those tragic stories that any modder can tell :cry: (at least I hope they can...I hope it's not just me :wink: ). This dial was fully lumed, and ready to install, when I damaged it (I beleive it was a small scratch, but I've tried to remove the event from my memory). I repaired the scratch, and sprayed the dial with matte varnish...which started to raise the luminova. There was nothing left to do, but try some "distressing" techniques.

If only this was a "T" dial, I would just use it, and explain it as moisture damage.

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06

Good God, didn't know the latest Angus' dial comes so shiny and with thin numerals like those :shock: :? Also the groove around indices seems to be more pronounced then on the gens. My pick this time (sorry Angus 111E supporters, but I just can't help it) is the old River's dial you show on the top photo. That second one just doesn't look right, sorry. :cry:

Don't worry about that 'L Swiss L' txt being too close to number six. I have seen sausage/painted gen 001/111 dials with the same "issue".
The issue is more pronounced on sandwich dials, where "L Swiss Made" is almost touching bottom part of numeral 6.

Also, could you connfirm the dial plate thickness differences between those two dials, River's should come in standard thickness, Angus' should be thinner, much thinner.

Let us know,
babola

avitt

23/4/06

Thanks babola. Yup, those are the two thing that bother me about the Angus dial: it's very glossy, and the numbers just look too thin.

I eyeballed the thickness, and they looked about the same...So I got out the mic. Guess what - the River dial is actually a little thinner: 0.8mm vs 0.85mm for the Angus.

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
Are you sure that dial from 111e from angus?

I actually think 111e dial has thicker indices (but greener in color) than normal 111 dial.

I did a little comparison between my 111e and 061D which as 111 dial but in tobacco, and 111e's indices are thicker.

From your pics above, I do agree River's looks more correct.

J

avitt

23/4/06
JOEJOEJOE said:
Are you sure that dial from 111e from angus?

Yes, I expressly ordered the dial used in the 111E Ultimate Edition. It does look like the pictures that I've seen on the forums...But, in fact, you can't find many pictures of this dial that are taken from straight-on.

maxmlian

8/11/06
I agree the font looks a bit thinner on this dial then the others 111-E dials from Angus.
But I think a relume would fix that most of it and also the indicies. About the shinyness do a clear mattecoating of the dial when you get it relumed.
I have seen a couple where Ziggy did this and it looks great.

avitt

23/4/06
maxmlian said:
I agree the font looks a bit thinner on this dial then the others 111-E dials from Angus.
But I think a relume would fix that most of it and also the indicies. About the shinyness do a clear mattecoating of the dial when you get it relumed.
I have seen a couple where Ziggy did this and it looks great.

Do you have one of the Angus dials, maxmlian, or are you basing this opinion on forum pics? I've only found a couple of pictures taken from a head-on angle, and they seem to show thin fonts as well. Here are a couple from rd1s35 (the second one actually shows nicely the font issues, when compared with a gen):

05_111e-cg-open.jpg

03_111Evs111E.jpg

Here is another (I captured this picture without noting the source. I apologize for posting it without proper credit):

img0162wc8qm4.jpg

Now, I've also seen the pictures of JoeJoeJoe's 111e, and I can say that his definitely has a different dial (thicker fonts, greenish lume, better spacing to the "L Swiss L"):

IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

In my opinion, this is a better dial...The best I've seen, in fact.

So it appears that there were two different dials used on the recent Angus 111e Ultimate Edition watches.