• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Have PAM Reps Eclipsed Rolex Reps?

NotASolder

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/10/07
Who has the best Sub? The newbie used to say, then a collective :roll: would go out across the veteran rank and file in Rep fora worlwide.

Since I got back into the fora, I see consistently more people, more posts and more threads in the Panerai sub-forum than in the famed Rolex sub-forum.

What happened? Does it not hold true that most people got here looking for a rep Submariner?

Was it ever true?

I believe there's even a well known collector who advertises his $158 PAM as his best selling watch.

Is Rolex finally 'over' as THE brand?

Or is it like Gen Rolex forumites say 'PAM... it's a fashion trend'? :evil:

Of course, they have been saying that for years now.

What do you say?

:?:

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
When I got into this I was looking for a Submariner and I bought an LV as my first rep. I had never seen a Panerai except in a catalog and did not really find them attractive. Since then I have not only given up on Rolex reps after my LV (I also have a gen SD) I have become addicted to PAMs like everyone else seems to. I think the biggest appeal for me is the same thing that caused me not to care for them, they are just so different. They are so distinctive and so different they just grow on you. With all the options in straps and an available bracelet, it can look like what ever you wish. All the models give the line an additional depth that you can not find in any other line.

rovame

Horology Curious
12/6/07
brtelec said:
When I got into this I was looking for a Submariner and I bought an LV as my first rep. I had never seen a Panerai except in a catalog and did not really find them attractive. Since then I have not only given up on Rolex reps after my LV (I also have a gen SD) I have become addicted to PAMs like everyone else seems to. I think the biggest appeal for me is the same thing that caused me not to care for them, they are just so different. They are so distinctive and so different they just grow on you. With all the options in straps and an available bracelet, it can look like what ever you wish. All the models give the line an additional depth that you can not find in any other line.

Totally agree with you, before I liked the PAM, but they had something I called the attention, and now I am in love with them.

njcurrie

10/8/07
As for me ... I am becoming a PAM fan for alot of the same reasons but also because of the quality of some of the PAM reps available. For a reasonable price you really feel like your wearing quality with the PAM while the smaller size, hollow mid-links and lighter overall feel of the Rolex never feels quite substantial enough.

Maybe it's just because rep. Rollies are in such demand from people who know little of the hobby, but the quality has never gotten them close enough to gen to really say there is a Rolex "super rep". I'm hoping that the new Seadweller might change the level of quality for the Rolex reps but we will have to wait and see about that. BK's mod work with the subs also looks excellent for a reasonable price but that quality should be available out of the box based on the number of Rollie reps being sold.

Rolex has also been stubborn in sticking to it's classic sizes and needs to update it's image for the next generation. Even if bigger watches are a trend, it's one that enough people have latched on to that Rolex needs to get in on the game or risk losing market share down the road.

All IMHO ....

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
when i went to buy my gen i didn't even look for a place that sold panerai. i have 3 pam reps and i like them but i am a rolex man.

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
actually, i dont like to see that Panerai is so popular.
because 20 years ago i was already in Love with the design....and back then, it was still somewhat an insider thingy.
but now things change...i do not at all like the 2007 collection and their in house movements. UGLY !!

( still a lil better then Rolex)

jkwhyd

30/5/07
I still like the looks for a classic Rolex Submariner. It probably is the most copied watch ever.

Pams are nice. There are too many variations of the same theme.

Different strokes for different folks. To each his own.

jk

MK08

Renowned Member
3/4/07
Honestly I didn't know much about Panerai before reading up on the boards (thanks for all the great knowledge y'all) But since my 1st rep a 177 from Eddie Lee, I've been hooked (I'm wearing my Angus 111E right now in fact) But I've never been attracted to Rolex in the least, just not my style.

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
Same-same, came here looking for best sub and even asked it like I had an epiphany. I bought every Rolex rep I could including MBW. Then I bought PAM North Pole, GMT, 111h and 50.

Then i found HBB's...

Now i'm back wearing my new 1.1 seadweller which is amazing plus my MBW Y-Master.

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
the search for PAMs brought me to the rep forums...I never liked too much Rolex...even today, after more than 2 years of collecting...i don't have a rolex in my collection...

Swatchman

27/12/06
Simple equasion:

Big = Fashionalbe
Rolex = Small

Rolex = Not Fashionalbe

Fashion will change, Rolex is going to last...

NotASolder

8/10/07
Swatchman said:
Simple equasion:

Big = Fashionalbe
Rolex = Small

Rolex = Not Fashionalbe

Fashion will change, Rolex is going to last...

That's exactly what I read onT's Rolex forum years ago. I had a local Officine AD with a casfull, literally , of unsold PAnerais because nobody knew what hey were.

I read and read post after post in the PAnerai forums abot how hard to get such and such model was, models which I saw month after month in that full, wonderfull wood OP display...

I listened to the Rollie owners, if I had bought them up, even to resell t those on the net who could not fin them, my net worth would be much different now!

I think 'ladies' sized Rolex are over. Just last week I saw two TT Subs, one on an MD, one on the wrist of a a Wendy's manager. I could not turn away, it was like a voodoo 'fúfú' had d been cast.

I was not thinking 'niceeee', only one frase kept repeating itself in my mind wow that is ONE SMALL WATCH, ONE SMALL WATCH, ONE SMALL WATCH...

Then again, even Rolex has recognized that size those matter, I recently saw a blingy monstrousity in TZ, the size a frisbee with multicolor markings. I don't recall the model name but it signals a change.

Maybe once we get a 47mm LV, Rolex will return to what it once was. Remember that Gen Rolex sale/production numbers for 2006 equal about what they were selling a decade ago.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
if they are so unpopular because of their size why do i have to get on a 3 year waiting list to get a 40mm ss daytona?. fact is they are the most recognized luxury watch brand in the world and there is nothing that panerai or anybody else will ever do to put a end to that. lol 8)

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
I have to agree with HK They might not be selling any more watches than years ago but they are still cranking out 600-700,000 watches a year according to them. The ADs don't seem to be complaining about sales. I do agree that the current style seems to be larger watches, but current style or not, Rolex will always be able to sell everything they produce.

sharpie12070

Known Member
29/7/07
IMO, Rolex still Rolex = not a hard sell. I remember years back AP was not that popular before Offshore era, now they have so many models and LE's, I thought for a time that they've diluted the brand but guess what they are still popular. PAM, same thing used to be a small brand (even after Vendome take over, before it's just minute :) in terms of production and market share) Over the years they've churn out lots of new models and LE's but guess what people still buying. In fact, at one point a couple years back I decided to sell all my gen pams caused I thought the brand is getting too diluted, well... I was wrong. Now, just playing with DSN PAM's :mrgreen:

NotASolder

8/10/07
hk45ca said:
if they are so unpopular because of their size why do i have to get on a 3 year waiting list to get a 40mm ss daytona?. fact is they are the most recognized luxury watch brand in the world and there is nothing that panerai or anybody else will ever do to put a end to that. lol 8)

That's the point, you don't have to, you can buy a Rep :)

hk45, obviously this a sensitive issue for you, but this thread is about the bizarro world of replicas which may or may not reflect the Gen counterpart brand dynamics. At least in rep world PAM already won. Look at the poll numbers.
:roll:
Seriously, the only reason you 'have to get' on a waiting list is because they keep production artificially low. Remember when the excuse used to be, 'we don't get enough movements from Zenith'. I still remember Laughing Out Loud when TZ Rolex forumites posted how 'Now with the switch to an in-house movements...no more waiting lists'. Yeah right, as if Rolex was going to do anything to demistify their Cosmograph AND lower street prices LOL, LOL, LOL.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Panerai appeal to the younger crowd, by and large. The replica watch buying community is, for the most part, a young crowd (<40 yrs old). There is no denying that Panerai is the "it" watch of the moment, but they have a LONG way to go before they de-throne Rolex in the real world.

Keep in mind, the above statements are blatant stereotypes/generalizations. Please don't send me PMs saying, "I'm 65 years old and I love reps! You're an idiot!", or "I'm 22 and I have 3 gen Rolexes and I hate PAMs! You're an idiot!", etc. [smilie=alien.gif]

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
The fact that rolex still produces the same numbers of watches now as they did ten years ago says alot. Many houses have seen production dropping and have been buoght up by the larger groups. Panerai can aspire all they would like but chances of them taking over the top spot is very very unlikely (especially considering Rolex produces more COSC certified watches then the next to companies combined). Which are breitling and omega, not panerai.

Frankly with the latest breiting and iwc and hublot reps, I think panerai has lost some of its luster. A year ago PAM was all that was talked about, when are the next revisions coming out... Now you see just as many posts asking when the better SD or net GMT II or IWC Big Pilot, ect. will be out. Panerai is hype and personally I think its almost over.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I would stick to Rolex is still a Rolex. It is part of household brand name that more people are more familiar with than let say, a Panerai.

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Well you can not discount the fact that Rolex is truly a household name. I would imagine that when a person goes out to buy the one gen in their life or someone looks to give a fine watch as a gift, the first thing they will do is buy a Rolex. You can not replace the kind of name recognition that rolex has worldwide.