• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Greg Stevens Straps

lysis

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/8/07
Anyone out there with Greg Stevens straps for their Panerais? I'm trying to understand why this guy tends to command such a high premium for even his used straps on Paneristi and Timezone. Come on, even a heavily used Crazy Horse strap of his commands $115, which is only $35 less than a new one.

How do they compare to Mario Paci or Simona?

tootall

I'm Pretty Popular
Vendor (Strap Maker)
2/5/06
lysis said:
Anyone out there with Greg Stevens straps for their Panerais? I'm trying to understand why this guy tends to command such a high premium for even his used straps on Paneristi and Timezone. Come on, even a heavily used Crazy Horse strap of his commands $115, which is only $35 less than a new one.

How do they compare to Mario Paci or Simona?

Wow, that's a very loaded question for me. I will suffice to say this. Greg Stevens older straps were all handmade. Furthermore, I know for a fact that he only has little Crazy Horse leather left, so get it while you can. I think many people like the way it looks on screen but once they buy it, kind of fall out of love with it.

Simona straps are awesome. I have seen a couple of hers that were sub-par and for the money she charges shouldn't have been. But the majority of the time, she does great work.

Mario Paci, well I'll leave that to others to discuss. I don't think too highly of the Paci line myself.

vdubpower

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/06
the crazy horse if one of the finest straps ever, his price is quite high no doubt but worth way more than a paci, except maybe the 4. hell i think 100 bucks is a hell alot for a strap
i bought 3 GS's but for 80 $ each before he got even bigger, the italian black and taupe. i sold the black and mde a nice profit.

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
I have two Greg Stevens straps the Crazy Horse and a stitchless chocolate. Both are very nice and I don't think are over priced. I don't think 120 to 170 usd is too much for a great strap. However I don't think the build quality is up to MP standards. The edges of the Greg straps get raggedy fairly quickly and I've never had that problem with the others. I did just today receive the MP 4 and it is every bit as nice as the Crazy Horse. Check out Don's straps he has some decent stuff reasonably priced.

Sean K

davidsenjpn

27/3/06
I thought his price was quite dear too.

But I bought 2pcs from him latley and have found that his straps are top quality and very well made.

The leather type is very unique and the craftamnship is very excellent.

I paid us$ 115.00 for each of this strap and i think it worths every penny of it.

I bought these for my personal collections only.

He does not seem to care much if i am getting these straps for replica watch or Gen.

He called me my nickname DSN.Thus I suppose him knows this forum too.

DSC_1467.jpg

DSC_1465.jpg

vbarrett

24/6/07
davidsenjpn said:
He called me my nickname DSN.Thus I suppose him knows this forum too.

Wow, first time I saw you posting on the forum, David! Cool. Nice to know Greg is around too. *waves*

ssalxpanerai

Renowned Member
25/10/06
Wonder DSN gets a good deal on those straps. I checked Grege web site from time to time. Still never seen any special offer. But it looks really great to me. Compared to MP from the look, I think however its price is seems to be more reasonable for me. But I never own both straps. Will take it some day in the future.

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
Try Savage straps - it's quite similar to Greg's. I acquired a used Savage straps through a member here and it's simply amazing (and much more affordable).

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i haven't figured out the cost structure for straps yet. if you buy the leather by the hide and not smaller pieces the material costs involved are nil.

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
i have several....Greg and Tootall.

i think Toots later work is comparable to Greg.

Greg is just a well known classic!...Toot will be .....

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I've got a Greg Crazy Horse and I've got a couple of straps from Savage. While the Greg strap is quite nice, I think Savage's (and from the pics, tootall's) straps are within spitting distance of Greg's with regards to quality. Plus as tootall has pointed out, his and Savage's straps are completely hand made, if that's your thing.

I believe that Savage and tootall both have "pull up" style hides that would closely approximate a Crazy Horse. I believe that Greg is charging what the market will sustain based on the quality and fame of his straps.

Personally, I'd get two Savage or tootall straps for the price of a single Crazy Horse....

tootall

I'm Pretty Popular
Vendor (Strap Maker)
2/5/06
Btw, if you think Greg gets a premium, you should see BigB and Kevin. They sell ammo straps at $295 and get around $240 used. :shock:

If you check over at the risti site, you will see that Greg ran a special. He may have some left. Almost all of his straps were $115 with a buckle.

Davidsen, I wonder how he knew to call you DSN??

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Well, people who choose to spend $10K+ (in lots of cases, WAY +) on multiple gen Panerais, surely wouldn't flinch at spending $300 on a strap, right? :wink:

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
I have to say in speaking with Greg I never got the impression that he cared about the rep forums. I made no attempt to hide the fact that I got his info from someone at TRC. Maybe he comes here from time to time.

Sean K

C4

Known Member
6/8/07
To me my absolute favorite straps are made by Shane Delaurian.

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
C4 said:
To me my absolute favorite straps are made by Shane Delaurian.

Never have one of his on hand...But his prices are way too high..IMO.

And the way he threaten Savage on the Risti board was very distasteful....

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
tutima said:

Wow, I musta missed that one. Was it for "copying" him?

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
hooligan said:
tutima said:

Yeah....He claimed "Cross stitching" was originated by him and he owned the copy right to it....

My question is: Who owns the copy right to the straight stitching that he uses..??

tootall

I'm Pretty Popular
Vendor (Strap Maker)
2/5/06
hooligan said:
tutima said:

LOL, Shane thinks any strap that he doesn't build is copying him.

C4

Known Member
6/8/07
I could care less about the politics or copyrights or the he said she said stuff... Copyrights? heck we own replica watches...

But the statement I made was concerning his straps... Shane straps are unreal in person... and yes he demands a hefty price... but quality wise and uniqueness is pretty unrivaled to me... If you want something unique and custom, he certainly is a great option.

My statement was surely not meant to discredit other straps, b/c personally I wouldn't pay the price for a custom Delaurian to put on a rep watch.