• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of the Rolex Explorer I replica

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
title.jpg

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time
'TS Eliot

After the Submariner, the Explorer is one of the most easily recognizable of all Rolex watches. With its black dial, large luminous triangle marker at 12, and luminous arabic numerals for the other quarters, it is the perfect mixture of a sport and a dress watch. It seems to have been around as long as there have been Rolexes, but that is not exactly true.
Explorer_Climber_Cover.jpg

The generally accepted origin of the Explorer is that it was first designed and made in honor of Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay.
They were the first to reach the summit of Everest on May 29, 1953, and did so wearing Rolex wristwatches. Robustness, temperature deviation, water ressistance and mechanical load - I couldn’t think of a better (and probably harder) way to prove the abilities of a watch. That has not been a coincident by any chance, but a very clever marketing trick: it is worth noting that the name "Explorer" was registered in Geneva on the January 26, 1953, obviously before the conquest of the world's highest mountain.
tenzinghilary1.jpg

Since that Event, the Explorer has been patiently developed and in the early 1970s a larger model appeared: the 1655 Explorer II. It is essentially a GMT-Master with a fixed bezel. Using the same calibre 1575 movement as a GMT- Master, it also had a fourth hand which rotated once every 24 hours, however on the Explorer II the hour was read from this from a fixed, engraved 24 hour steel bezel.
rom_explorer.jpg

The watch was introduced as being especially useful for the speleologist ( or cave explorer), who, Rolex claimed "soon loses all notion of time: morning, afternoon, day, or night. " For these intrepid souls Rolex developed the watch which would tell them whether the "2" on the dial was 2:00 a.m. or 2 :00 p-m. (14:00 h). This may well be true, and perhaps cave dwellers are more susceptible to losing track of time than others. :lol:
Check out By-Tor’s cool review of it, here.
With it’s date display and a second timezone, it got a litte away from the basicness of the older brother, that stayed what it was supposed to be: a robust three hands watch.
exploreradversitement2.jpg

Genuine Technical Data:
Reference: 14270
Caliber: 3000
Movement: Selfwinding mechanical
Powerreserve: min. 42h
Vibration: 28.800bph
Jewel: 27 jewels
Calendar: none
Case: Steel
Crown: screw-locked, 2 gaskets
Caseback: Screwed in
Crystal: sapphire
Diameter: 35.5mm
Thickness: 11.4mm
Weight: 105g
Water-resistance: 100m

The Replica
explorer1.jpg

The case.
The relatively simple three piece case (bezel, band, and back) is clearly strong and rigid. (Rigidity is an important issue in maintaining water-resistance in use that involves impact that can distort the alignment of the case.) While the bezel and band sides (which are integral with the strap lugs) are polished, the upper horizontal surface of band and lugs is brushed. Actually, the gen’s finish of the brushed parts is NOT superior to the finish of the replica, as you can see in the picture below:
finishcomparison.jpg

The polished sides of the case, however, are an unusual, peculiarly appealing double-horn shape characteristic of many Rolexes, and are polished to a shine close to white gold. The replica for comparison here has been worn frequently, so there are desk-diving scratches. However, as you can see, the polished sides are of an almost equal quality to the genuine ones.
polishedsidescomparison.jpg

The uncoated sapphire crystal, as can be seen, is set largely outside the bezel on the 14270. You got to be careful for it is actually not protected by the bezel anymore and you could bust out a piece of the crystal easily by knocking against a hard object. In my opinion, the flat sapphire is reflecting so strong, it causes difficulties in easily reading the time on genuine and replica from certain angles. Last mentioned has it’s first “weakâ€

JCM1662

Renowned Member
6/6/06
SD:

Wow buddy, nicely done! this is an absolutely fantastic review and history of the explorer I.
Thanks for sharing - this is exceptional.

[smilie=icon_thumleft.gif]

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Outstanding review again. You're getting too good man... that was GREAT read! This is exactly the stuff what makes the forums "alive".

Many people rank the ExpI as the best Rolex rep (or at least among the very best ones). It's very classic design, I really like the simplicity. The gen price $4K is utterly ridiculous and just as you said the rep is excellent buy. I would have bought it many times, but it's just too small for a big guy.

I disagree about one thing though: Submariner or Explorer aren't the most familiar Rolexes to average people: I'm sure the DateJust is.

NAVIGATER

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
31/10/06
seadweller4000 said:
But honestly, it fits just BEST my girlfriend. I simply cannot tell how good it looks on her.
[/quote]

I can tell how it looks, it is a prefect match!!!

And it was again a plesure reading you review

Greetings Navi :wink:

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Josh gives you this watch with a asian 28.8kvph movement for 108$ shipped! :)

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
great review!! $150 sounds like a very good buy to me..i ~might get one too! :)

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
Thank you all for your kind words, really appreciated!

By-Tor said:
Outstanding review again. You're getting too good man... that was GREAT read! This is exactly the stuff what makes the forums "alive".

Many people rank the ExpI as the best Rolex rep (or at least among the very best ones). It's very classic design, I really like the simplicity. The gen price $4K is utterly ridiculous and just as you said the rep is excellent buy. I would have bought it many times, but it's just too small for a big guy.

I disagree about one thing though: Submariner or Explorer aren't the most familiar Rolexes to average people: I'm sure the DateJust is.

Thanks mate, I am really lookin' forward for your next one!

However, you might be right about the DJ. The datemag is really eyecatching. And it is probably the most popular Rolly - it is just that I would notice rather a Sub than a Datejust. :wink:

rosnik

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/5/07
piratedzeus said:
Josh gives you this watch with a asian 28.8kvph movement for 108$ shipped! :)

I sow the asian rev. too.
There is no paragon with the 2836 rev.

seraphe

Renowned Member
9/10/06
Great review of one of my favorite of all time!

I love it so much that I wish my wrist bones are smaller to accomodate the 36mm case...

494516745_c6a5cf081d_o.jpg

who2R

Known Member
9/3/07
SD4000....thank you for the wonderful review. Explorer I is a true classic.....a super rep without a super price tag. :wink:

D

d4m.test

sticky it, admin.
and also the great white review.

-bk

david-syd

Renowned Member
25/5/06
great review... I ony recently bought a vintage explorer...

and already waiting for my modern as well....its the only rep watch
fits under my suit for work.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Is the bezel on a gen thinner than on a rep? I had this problem on the Air King, I thought the bezel didn't look the same on a gen as the rep and I figured these would use the same cases but I could be wrong. There's still no good Air King 369 available to this date due to the numbers on the dial being too thin and the strap not having the correct parts near the clasp.

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Wow, good review. I can tell you love your reviewing work. Thanks from all of the community.

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
Thanks guys! :D
Updated with a wristshot of my girlfriend wearing her Exp I in Tunesia. 8)

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
Tremendous review there! I always love when a piece of watch history is revived as an interlude.

And good to see you actually have a girlfriend who actually has breasts.

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
marinlicina said:
Tremendous review there! I always love when a piece of watch history is revived as an interlude.
Thanks man.

marinlicina said:
And good to see you actually have a girlfriend who actually has breasts.
Uhm yeah... Whatever. :lol: