• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swiss fish meets Asian fish

taiji

30/11/06
Hi everyone,

I was one of the lucky guy who manage to purchase the first production batch of blue dial swiss SFSO with the correct ETA date font (2nd batch of swiss SFSO comes with slightly incorrect date font).

After looking at the white fish at a local AD, I can't get it off my mind and know that I must have it for sure. I went for asian movement this time.

I compare the 2 watch and here's my mini review;

1221941490_53ce56deb2.jpg

1.) Notice the number "14" inside the date window. The date font on a gen SFSO has a flat top digit "4". This is correct on the Swiss SFSO but incorrect on the Asian SFSO.

1221126819_841f0af4f6.jpg

2.) AR coating. Fantastic AR on the Swiss SFSO and no AR on the Asian SFSO.

1222038602_1ef083e15e.jpg

3.) Both using the same case and caseback (so they share the same flaw like the pearl on the bezel is too big compare to the gen) and the crown screw in smoothly after time adjustment

4.) Lume on both version are good but last only a short while

5.) You need to rotate the crown upwards while you need rotate the crown downwards when changing the date

6.) The "feeling" is different when you adjust the time on both watches. Swiss is really really smooth while the Asian feel rough

7.) The swiss show a 8bps while the Asian is 6bps. This is obvious.

8.) The person who sold me the Asian SFSO told me that both Swiss and Asian versions are water proof tested
(To further proof that this point is true, I ever swam with my swiss SFSO and it passed the test easily)

9.) Weight is almost identical for both versions

10.) The numerals and lume markers on the blue dial is stamped out from back of the dial. I guess this is why the numerals look "pop out" and rounded. The numerals on the white and black dial is not stamped out but seem like it is pasted with epoxy or something. The numerals on the white and black dial look better and flat like the gen.

Both versions are great. However, IMO. The Swiss SFSO still wins over the Asian SFSO. You have to play with both watch to experience the "feeling" I'm trying to describe here.

So, for all of you who are still considering to pull the trigger for this watch. My opinion get it while it is still available. It is one of the closest rep I own and I like it so much that I buy another white fish to add on to my collection.

1221084831_050d9accd8.jpg

Thanks for viewing :D

spookycord

Known Member
1/6/07
7.) The swiss show a 8bps while the Asian is 6bps. This is obvious.

I thought that the Asian came with 2813 mvmt that beats at 28,800.
Reason why I ask is that my asian sfso seems to have 6bps, even though it was advertised at 28,000bph (8bph).
what to do what to do...

chrgod

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/6/06
Thanks for the comparison! Excellent :)

I have a white Asian SFSO, just like yours, and love it... I am still tempered to buy the Swiss version though.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
spookycord said:
Reason why I ask is that my asian sfso seems to have 6bps, even though it was advertised at 28,000bph (8bph).
what to do what to do...

Unfortunately that's a lie... :(
Mine also beats 6BPS. I am not too disturbed by that. Just a question of getting what is advertised... :x

david-syd

Renowned Member
25/5/06
there people organising a AR run on crystals,.. may be is a good way to add AR on
the asian crsytals.???

I have bought blue asian model on the way.

chitown

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/06
sfso

I think that if you were told you were getting a 28.8 then it IS a big deal. I had the same issue some time ago..... I opened the case to find a 21k movrment. If I send a different amount of money to the dealer.... do you think he would care. Exactly, I expect the correct watch, he expects the correct payment. Just my 2 cents

spookycord

Known Member
1/6/07
Re: sfso

chitown said:
I think that if you were told you were getting a 28.8 then it IS a big deal. I had the same issue some time ago..... I opened the case to find a 21k movrment. If I send a different amount of money to the dealer.... do you think he would care. Exactly, I expect the correct watch, he expects the correct payment. Just my 2 cents

Yes. I agree there. Plus, It's a noticeable difference between the two movements. Technically is the 2813 21,600 and the 4813 28,800?

This is what one of our dealers had to say about it:

I have double checked with my supplier and he has confirmed to me that these are 28,800vph. I purchase them from the same factory that Andrew and Joshua purchase their SFSO's from. They also confirm that it is an Asian 2813 ETA 21J at 28,800. http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?m ... ts_id=1250

Please understand that the vph is not an indicator of how fast the second hand ticks but rather In a watch, the balance wheel swings to and fro on its own axis and acts as the ruling organ of the movement's escapement. The amplitude (usually about 300 degrees) is restricted by the balance spring, which also provides the reversing of the direction of rotation. The frequency of the alternating vibration is measured either in vibrations per hour (vph) or Hertz (Hz).

Any thoughts?[/list]

taiji

30/11/06
@spookycord

I admire your persistence to check out the real deal from our dealers to protect us - the buyer.

Thanks for the verification.

My white fish is doing good and keep good time so far. So, no worry for me now.

:D

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Sweet and short comparison review. Good job taiji. It's pretty shameful that I sold my piece away. Both are well worth the money (asian as low as 129USD shipped?).

Hyster

29/7/06
I just picked up an asian whitefish, my advice, if moneys tight the asian sfso is a superb pruchace.

Beautiful watch for the cash.

bob1919a

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/11/06
After grabbing ahold of my white Asian SFSO, I really wish I ordered the Swiss version.

The Asian is OK, but the sputtering of non-ETA movements really drives me nuts. If only I could switch out the movements easily........ :twisted: :twisted:

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
Good review. I am getting an asian to start. I want to see how the quality is, then get a swiss. Both look great! And the asian for $100 may be the bargin of the year!

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
nice little review here. Thanks mate!

My blue ETA arrived this weekend and I am thrilled with it. Immaculate nickle ETA movement inside. I set the watch and it kept time down to the second the entire day. Better then my genuine TAG link.

Josh made me a happy camper.

paulV

4/11/06
david-syd said:
Who sells the SOSF for $ 100.???

I bought mine sunday from Narikaa, arrived wednesday 60£
Works perfect and keeping time as Big Ben :D