• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A Story Retold..

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
ok

so there we wre.. four man room, on the third floor of a kaserne (barracks) in Germany.

I was brand new to the Battalion, and only a private of 17 years..

There was a Platoon Sergeant (SFC Moses) on the door, who was making sure that we could not get out.. the Officer of the Day would soon be there.. for a shakedown inspection.. they take everything you have and put it in the middle of the floor.. kicking it about, looking for contraband..

So, I was brand new to the Battalion, at age 17.. everyone but me was crying "We are screwed"... because we all had forbidden bottles of booze..

So, I told the other guys that they needed to cut me some slack, because I could get them out of the situation... it took a couple of times, but finally they began to listen... I told them to give me their bottles of booxe, and I stuck them in my waistband, and put on my field jacket, adding my bottle, and tied everything up...

Then, i asked them to give me their shelter halves.. (1/2 of a two man tent, made of canvas): I then tied the shelter halves together.. and tied one end to the radiator under the window.. at the front of the building, below the window was a flagpole, and there was a guard walking his post.. PFC Andy Henson, my buddy.. so I went out the window with the booze, climbing down the shelter halves... to drop the last 2-3 feet, and then Andy saw me.. I waved, and went into the front of the building.. I entered the fron of the building entrance, and did a low crawl down the halllway, between Headquarters Company Orderly Room and the other Orderly Room that belonged to Headquarters and Headquarters Company.. they both had glass windows facing the iinside of the hallways, which is why I had to crawl.. so as not to be seen..

Looking around the corner along the hallway, I saw that the coast was clear.. and then I did a rush for the stairwell.. to the quadrangel outside..
I beat feet across the quadrangle, all the way to the Snack Bar.. inside the snack bar, I asked Elsa on the counter for four large cokes, half full.. and, pulling out the bottles of booze, I asked her to keep them until I returned.

When she gave me the four 1/2 full drinks, I topped them off from one of the bottles (Jim Beam), put on the lids, inserted the straws, and beat feet back to the barracks.. up the stairwell, to the third floor.. and my room..
of course, there was SFC Moses, guarding the door... I asked him to open the door, and his eyes kinda bugged out.. for he knew that I was in the room, and that there was no way out of the room... so he hesitated, and I asked him "Please Sergeant Moses, would you get the door!"

Well, he did open the door.. and I passed out the drinks.. and then the Officer of the Day entered, to a shout of "Attention", to which he replied responded "As you were"... and then he and SFC Moses proceeded to search for contraband...

I kept a close eye on my fellow soldiers.. and was chuckling to see their reaction when they took a sip of their "coke", which was 50/50 Jim Bean and Cola.. the looks on their faces was quite amusing, to say the least..

Life is Good!
Klink

you would have had to have been there... : )

Life is Good!

Klink

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
That must be great memory for you Klink and definitely a story worth retelling. Thanks. :D

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
Kriegsgeschichten. :lol:

Very nice man, thanks for the story.
Lucky you he didn't sniff at your drinks... :wink:

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
lol..

yes.. no sniff.. they look for drink, while we drink what they look for..

was fun.. not so fun maybe if we had been caught.. lol

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
as a young boy ( 10 - 12 yrs old ) i used to buy bottles of beer - and when the Gi's were on manouvers -
i traded it to them for C- RATIONS( with a pack of 5 Lucky cigaretts, a cool can opener, awesome fruit cake, and weired slime cheese),
GRAPE AND CINNAMON CHEWING GUM, KOOL AID POWDER or PEANUT BUTTER.
all the stuff you could not buy in germany.
those guys were always very thirsty.... and always asked me if i have a sister i could bring.

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
ROFLMAO!

was that between 1962 - 1965?

Wiesbaden-Biebrich

Rhein Kaserne...

:D

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
I was living in Merrell Kaserne in downtown Nurnberg from 77 to 79. It was easily the best 2 years of my young life. Merrell was the SS barracks during the war. It was 2 blocks from Soldiers Field. What a great experience. I found the Germans to be a great people and considered myself lucky to be there.

vbarrett

24/6/07
Great read, Klink!

Always wondered why you had an avatar of the handsome August von Mackensen, and maybe now I know. ;)

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
Klink,

i lived 5 min from HARVEY BARRACKS / Kitzingen and also in the closer area:

Conn / Schweinfurt - Leighton Wuerzburg - Nuernberg

Nuernberg was 45 miles away......the GI's loved to go party there, along the old wall tons of legal hookers...
and one US $ was about 5 DeutschMarks !! Life was very good for the GI's !!

look at the website : http://www.thirdreichruins.com/

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
K,

was this anywhere near Bruchmuhlbach-Miesau ?

My Father was there at the same time as you.

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
Funny story Klink. I was stationed at the Neureut Kaserne in Karlsruhe, Germany 1977-78. We never had inspections like that but once the CID came into my barracks room and found a few chucks of hashish my roomate had. He did noty leave the Kaserne for a couple weeks.

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
i remember this story happening again a thousand times....
3 day weekends...GI's take off to hang out in Amsterdam....

hookers, clubs, Hash is legal.....what a fun place !

after the holidays....on formation, 8 out of 20 or 30 are being randomly selected for piss test......
lots of whining and crying....Article 15's....etc.

but a lots of fun......Amsterdam rules !