• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What GEN watch would you buy, limit $6500

D

d4m.test

i'll get a rolex gmt ii (~$4000). The leftover money for either a po (~$2500, i think) or if not enough a Damasko DA36 ($973) and a nice dinner and get a massage

DamaskoDA36L.jpg

D

d4m.test

I'm gonna have to go with the 6.75 on this one.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Back from the AD

Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions...

I went into this thinking strictly that I wanted a gen PAM (GMT or Chrono) or a PILOT chrono. While I've been aware of many other nice brands I hadn't previously considered that they would be fun to own or make nice investments or both.

I thought I was definitely going to definitely pull the trigger (had this money earmarked for this purchase for a while), but all of these different suggestions have actually made deciding harder-- So I will wait, until I can take a closer look at Sinn's, or until I can find a small run (<= 300 quantity) PAM model to "invest" in. Of course it would be hard to go wrong with any of the IWCs, or the GMTII that were suggested. The problem with investment watches is you really don't want to wear them. And I want to be able to wear this as much as I want.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Re: Back from the AD

Jurgenk said:
Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions...

The problem with investment watches is you really don't want to wear them. And I want to be able to wear this as much as I want.

Jurgenk,

Can I interpret what you say "investment" watches as maybe a limited edition or Rare? If you purchase any genuine, like anyone else you will wear it as much as you want and that is all that matters. I applaude the fact that you are waiting and thinking things through. I am sure whatever watch you decide on will fit your tastes and durability concerns. Also, this is the funnest part for you and we really enjoy that you are sharing your experience with us! :D

jb

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
7/9/06
coop said:
Rolex LV Sub, or a couple of Oris watches.

Cool! I didn't know you were an Oris fan, Coop.

I would spend a portion of it on the new Carlos Coste Chrono. :D

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Oh no...

Must now get up to speed on:

Sinn, Glaschutte, Oris, Damasko, and of course the venerable / huge Zeniths.

So many gen watches, so many reps, and so little time...

I thought it was gonna be easy to know what I like. I was quite passionate about Rolex for a long time. Then Panny fever set in. I'm not quite recovered from that. The more I learn about watches, the more I realize how little I know.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
i would buy 1,200 seiko 5 sport watches and give them to 1199 friends and keep one for myself.

for some reason that makes me laugh :)

If i had no hi-end gens, then i'd buy a rollie or two omegas or 2 breitlings or a glashutte or iwc something obscure...

dont they have pateks or a.lange's in that price range?

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
No, pateks and a.lange sohne's start a bit higher unfortunately.

amazing how much the ultrarich love conspicuous consumption.

had a friend i went to school with whose dad invented a medical device

would come into class sporting a different patek or audemars gen each day of the week

"gifts from dad."

Hellcat

Renowned Member
18/11/06
Sorry man, I would never spend that much on a single watch....too many other toys I could buy.

1. A very nice boat!!!
2. A very nice Bike.
3. A very nice Vacation!!

Good luck with your purchase though.......... :D

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :roll:

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Hambone

I do see the sense in what you are saying

It is like preaching to the choir 'round here.

I have vacillated on this point for over a year now. When I get bummed out about the limitations of reps, and copious QC issues and hassles, I start pining for some of the gens. But even if they are attainable without too much sacrifice, I have to wonder about the incremental benefit of upgrading a 95 - 98% accurate rep to the 100% real deal for about 10x to 20x the money.

This thought of mine is probably the gen manufacturer's worst nightmare-- that those who would be their potential customers would walk away b/c of the availability and impressive quality of uberreps...

MICAVI

22/3/07
Hellcat said:
Sorry man, I would never spend that much on a single watch....too many other toys I could buy.

1. A very nice boat!!!
2. A very nice Bike.

i'm sure that the people buying the $30,000-$1,500,000 dollar A. Lange Sohnes and Pateks already have a few boats, plenty of cars and bikes; as far as a vacation goes, when you're that rich, every day is a vacation.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
just show me a 6.500 dollar boat........you may get a fishing boat for that, but would not be able to take it out to the great lakes........maybe you could fish on some of the small lakes or in a river.....lol

Hellcat said:

1. A very nice boat!!!
2. A very nice Bike.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Hambone said:
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :roll:

Looks like Hambone is still in Japan. :D

How about buying this watch :arrow: hxxp://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/viewP ... roduct=408

and with what is left over a brand new Seadweller and you will still have well over $1000 left. :D

Hellcat

Renowned Member
18/11/06
guru said:
just show me a 6.500 dollar boat........you may get a fishing boat for that, but would not be able to take it out to the great lakes........maybe you could fish on some of the small lakes or in a river.....lol

Hellcat said:

1. A very nice boat!!!
2. A very nice Bike.

Man, I cant Hijack this thread..LOL.....sorry.
:wink:

leftydna

Known Member
7/10/06
In reality probably a Base Destro PAM, but the most recent watch to catch my eye is the Linberg Hour Angle watch by Longines. This is just one kewl Pilot Watch actually invented by Charles Lindberg. There is the original version, and at least a 60th, 75th and 80th anniversary models. Pilots would actually figure their positions out with this watch!

Here's the pics
orginal
LonginesLindberghourangle.jpg

75th anniversary model
LonginesLindbergNEW.jpg

LonginesLindbergNEW5.jpg

leftydna

Known Member
7/10/06
I guess since it was $6500 I would still have enough left over to get this also. Staying with the Pilot watch theme this Gen Steinhart B-Uhr Pilot watch aka copied from the 1940 originals just like the IWC Big Pilot goes for less than a grand.

steinhartnavbuhr.jpg