• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need help from Omega Gods on this UPO before I buy.

treeman

9/4/07
Ok...so what the heck do I have? Just checked my date numbers and all the "1"'s do not have serif EXCEPT for "1" and "11" which all have serif???? Is mine a real UPO with swiss ETA??? I bought it from another member but I was never certain of this...

Most of the "1"'s are like below (no serif):

DSC02067.jpg

"11" and "1" have serif:

DSC02071.jpg

DSC02072.jpg

goirish18

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/6/07
Exact same here--only "1" and "11" are serif.

treeman said:
Ok...so what the heck do I have? Just checked my date numbers and all the "1"'s do not have serif EXCEPT for "1" and "11" which all have serif???? Is mine a real UPO with swiss ETA??? I bought it from another member but I was never certain of this...

Most of the "1"'s are like below (no serif):

"11" and "1" have serif:

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Hope this image makes it clear. Large image is Pug's ETA version. Inset is the PO Lite.

treeman

9/4/07
That's the thing Andrew...my "19" and "18" (and all other 1's) have no serif EXCEPT "1" and "11"...which both have serif. Those are the only two numbers on the datewheel with serif.??

treeman

9/4/07
goirish18, where did you buy yours? and did they claim it had Swiss ETA movement?

Thanks

treeman

9/4/07
ttt...guess I should maybe start a new thread. I would really like to try and identify what mov't I have in this PO. Anyone with any ideas? ;)

Take a look at my pics. Almost all the "1"'s have NO serif except for "1" and "11" which do have serif???

goirish18

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/6/07
treeman said:
goirish18, where did you buy yours? and did they claim it had Swiss ETA movement?

Thanks

Sorry, I was away from the computer for a couple of days. Anyway, I bought it from another member who bought it from Josh. It's supposed to be Swiss ETA 2824-2. It was totally modded out (new lume, gen hands, gen rubber strap) so I don't believe that the person I bought from was pulling a fast one. He was a very stand-up guy throughout the transaction. If it's not Swiss, I think it's a dealer issue.

I'd like to see the font on Pugs "1" and "11" not just his "19"--that might help answer some questions too.

tomriddle

25/6/07
lol this thread has opened an entire world of controversy now..

I myself have a UPO I purchased as "swiss", my 10 has no serif (which I'm guessing is the same as everyone's) but my 11 (today's date) has serif.. so i'm guessing I fall in with the "1" and "11" only camp.. LOL so what does this mean? we got the asian eta copy?

to be honest I don't put much stock in this.. to me it's not that scientific -.- maybe someone out there who owns a UPO who has the 1 and 11 serif'd dates who knows how to open their casebacks can look in the back, post some pics so more experts can see what movement we have exactly

judging by just date-serifs is.. weird -.- I need something more substantial but at this point i'm gonna go continue to think i got the swiss :X man this sucks, LOL

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Having brought this up, I will clarify as best I can. I have a couple of UPO Lites, so I really can't comment with 100% certainty on the ETA version. The UPO Lite has heavy serifs on every 1 on the dial. The ETA seems to have no serifs on "MOST" of the ones on the dial.

So, if you have serifs everywhere, you certainly have the PO Lite.

If you have no serifs (excepting 1 & 11) then you have the ETA version.

I have no idea as to whether the asian eta and swiss eta have identical fonts, but I would assume they do.

leftydna

Known Member
7/10/06
Well, let's agree to say Defintely what the chinese manufacturers call "swiss." some might call it eta replica.

andreww said:
Definitely swiss.

As for the date font, it also looks swiss. See how pronounced the serif is on the asian version below.

Bearcat

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/06
HLB96 said:
I have been offered this UPO by another member on another forum for $150. It has swiss movement. I need to know of any flaws on this one. Is it truly ultimate? I know that on the caseback planet is missing the t. I can live with that if the pearl, bezel and face look okay. I am more concerned with a correct front rather than a correct back. I am a noob so I come to the Omega gods for help.any suggestions? This would be my 4th rep in a week.
Thanks for the help to all that respond.

Well, I'll let you all know. I have decide to take a chance on this piece and it is being FedExed to me as we speak (I mean type).

Just checked my 4th generation Planet Ocean with Swiss ETA and ALL of the ones, including 1 and 11 are sans serif. This must be a different datewheel or something.....I hope.....