• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Datejust mod suggestions?

truthrocket

25/6/07
Just bought a datejust from Andrew and looking to mod the dial ... is that possible. Where can I find a great dial source?

Some additional questions:

How far from gen are the datejust rep usually?

What are some good mods you can recomend?

Here is a pic of the rep I bought from Andrew.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
there are so many dial variations from rolex for the date just and day date nobody is going to call you out for that. when you get past the factory dials then you go to the custom made ones and there are hundreds of those. if you don't find what you want you can have them made to your pocket book/taste. lol

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
Gen DJ dials pop up all over the place.. ebay being a good source... pretty reasonable.

The DJ reps are almost spot on... the dial being the biggest flaw with most of them... easily fixed with a gen dial... I'd tend to avoid full gold (as I see you've done) as the gold color of the plated reps is just not right.

Search around for a gen dial and you'll be in DJ heaven... Not exactly my speed, but a nice looking watch none the less.

truthrocket

25/6/07
Thanks for the reply, I only want the gen dial because the grooves in the gen version are much more pronounced.
Do you guys have any suggestions on cleaning up the case, band or crown?
TR

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
I've spent a bit of hands on time with several gen DJ's... the reps biggest flaw was/is the dial... once you fix that your golden.

As far as cleaning up the case what do you mean?

For the band... dismount, soak in wd40 for several minutes, wipe clean... enjoy.

for the crown... only thing I can suggest is de-case and carefully make certain no burrs exist case-side or on the threading of the tube or crown.... I guess you could also source a gen tube/crown and install that... but the rep is almost dead on.... perhaps screw/unscrew a few times to clean em up.

truthrocket

25/6/07
I don't know I am really new to this thing and don't know very much about what the basic battery of mods that are performed on reps once people get them. One thing that I have noticed is the dial. The gen has much deeper grooves in the Concentric pattern than the rep dial.
Would it be possible to make the gen dial better by polishing it or something?

toturo777

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/3/06
I tend to stay away from rep fluted-bezels as the gens are more narrow. Reps are always too wide (except for the TOG models which are supposed to look like that). If your goal is having a closer to gen DJ than go with a smooth bezel.

jdavis

28/9/06
If you change your dial to a gen with stick markers be aware that the sticks are taller than those on the reps. The reason being that the cannon pinion on the ETA movements is shorter than that of the Rolex movement. You may have a problem with the minute hand striking the hour markers.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
toturo777 said:
I tend to stay away from rep fluted-bezels as the gens are more narrow. Reps are always too wide (except for the TOG models which are supposed to look like that). If your goal is having a closer to gen DJ than go with a smooth bezel.

i have had my polex tt dj with a fluted bezel in my hand side by side with a 1987 gen and there were no visual differences other than dial color, blue vs gold. i don't about a mens cn version.

toturo777

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/3/06
hk45ca said:
toturo777 said:

i have had my polex tt dj with a fluted bezel in my hand side by side with a 1987 gen and there were no visual differences other than dial color, blue vs gold. i don't about a mens cn version.

I guess I've just had bad luck with the older style fluted models.

And I do stand corrected as far as the newer style fluted bezels, they are wider now on the gens.
The one the original poster got is very nice!

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
toturo777 said:
hk45ca said:
toturo777 said:

I guess I've just had bad luck with the older style fluted models.

And I do stand corrected as far as the newer style fluted bezels, they are wider now on the gens.
The one the original poster got is very nice!

like i said i don't know about the cn versions. i did buy my wife a ladies cn tt dj from ruby and we compared it to her doctors gen tt dj and didn't see any visual differences in them either but i am sure there are some subtlety's and we just didn't see them. i told here doctor we bought it from the internet and she took hers off and i held them side buy side. i told her i was worried about receiving a fake, then the doctor held them side by side and said, no, it's genuine, it is very beautiful, it looks like you got lucky and got a good deal. lol my wife and i laughed all the way home. :lol:

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
The biggest problem with changing out a rep DJ dial with a gen is the often times the rep dial is 1mm bigger than the gen. When you put the gen dial in the case, it's too small. Of course, you have to cut the dial feet off of the gen and glue it to the movt ring, etc. And yes, you could have a problem with the minute hand clearing the hour markers.

Plan B is to build a Frankenjust- my two ran around $500 each by the time all was said and done.

FWIW, I can't see anyone ever calling you out on a rep like the one you showed. They're just too close to the gen and unless you have a set of calipers, you can't spot the tiny differences.

truthrocket

25/6/07
How do you make a Frankenjust? And do you have photos of them I would love to see them.
The dial I want is the Arabic Numerals Concentic style so the markers should not be a problem, although I am a bit concerned about the size issue. What other ways are there to get around that?

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Frankenjust Formula
Datejust case from roling on ebay, the older 16013, 16014 and 16030 cases take the 2836-2 movt. The newer 16200 series cases take the 2824-2 movt. The two cases I received from him were in beautiful condition.
Gen crown from ebay- this can be a bit tricky, but mine worked out ok.
Roling's cases come w/ dials, but I got different dials to use in my two watches, also from ebay- 16000 and 16200 series dials are all the same.
Date wheel overlay from www/cubic-works.com/- the 16000 series has the open 6's and 9's, 16200 series has closed 6's and 9's.
Hands from Clark Watch Supply (Nostalgia 2000) on ebay- these are the Tudor hands which fit an eta movt.
Glue the date wheel overlay to the eta date wheel
glue the movt ring to the movt
glue the dial to the movt ring, making sure the date wheel has good clearance
install hands- minute hand has to clear hour markers on dial.
use plastic spacer ring to space movt in case, attach case clamps
insert stem/crown and close case.

truthrocket

25/6/07
How much different are the new cases? And is there any way to fit the 2826-2 into the 16200 or do I need to get the other movement? Is that movement as good as the 2826-2?
Thanks,
TR
(your awesome)

vmena

9/4/06
The result!!!

alligoat said:
Frankenjust Formula
Datejust case from roling on ebay, the older 16013, 16014 and 16030 cases take the 2836-2 movt. The newer 16200 series cases take the 2824-2 movt. The two cases I received from him were in beautiful condition.
Gen crown from ebay- this can be a bit tricky, but mine worked out ok.
Roling's cases come w/ dials, but I got different dials to use in my two watches, also from ebay- 16000 and 16200 series dials are all the same.
Date wheel overlay from www/cubic-works.com/- the 16000 series has the open 6's and 9's, 16200 series has closed 6's and 9's.
Hands from Clark Watch Supply (Nostalgia 2000) on ebay- these are the Tudor hands which fit an eta movt.
Glue the date wheel overlay to the eta date wheel
glue the movt ring to the movt
glue the dial to the movt ring, making sure the date wheel has good clearance
install hands- minute hand has to clear hour markers on dial.
use plastic spacer ring to space movt in case, attach case clamps
insert stem/crown and close case.

And then... you get this :)

DSC01268.jpg

DSC01266.jpg