• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of ROLEX GMT Master II "TW Best"

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
title-2.jpg

This is my second review of a replica GMT Master II. I owned a "CN" version of the Master, but have sold it recently. The old review is readable HERE.

Please note that this is not my watch. Precious Time got a sample of this rep model and asked if I wanted to review it. I get no financial gain of this, I was just curious to see this version and photograph/review it for the community. I will even pay the return postage from my own pocket.

This watch uses the same "wrong hand stack", which means that the GMT hand is placed under the hour hand. It's the hand stack of the old GMT Master I model. Unlike my old CN version the GMT hand isn't independently settable on this "TW Best" version, which again mimics the behavior of genuine Master I. Tracking the different timezone is achieved by turning the uni-directional bezel to the desired position. The bezel functionality is excellent, and it's replicated nicely on this watch. The click is soft, smooth and solid. And like I said, it turns and clicks correctly to both directions, unlike many other reps.

The bracelet has solid middle links (inaccurate), just like all MBW/TW watches. Personally, I don't mind. The rep is about 7-10 grams heavier than the genuine Master, and I'm sure the solid middle links are the main reason. The bracelet has very good brushed finish and feel.

The red GMT hand itself is too small and thick. It should be long enough to reach the minute markers. The hand is too short on many GMT/ExpII reps, but this is the worst GMT hand I've seen.

1-1.jpg

New members are probably curious to know what the terms "TW best" and "CN" mean.

In short: Just like the MBW's, the TW models are produced in a replica factory in Thailand (instead of China). They have lots of similarities, and some even suspect they come from the same factory. The watches aren't usually extremely accurate, but they have certain advantages. The overall finish, feel and quality is very good. This rep is no exception.

Another good thing with the TW Rolex models is the case depth (or "rehaut") as the community calls it. It's conical on the Chinese versions, and they often have an ugly white "circle" appearing under the crystal, where the rehaut should merge with the crystal. The hardcore Rolex rep experts think that it gives these watches extremely cheap look. TW models don't have this problem, as the picture below demonstrates. The rehaut is very smooth, shiny, deep and metallic. The crystal height is absolutely perfect.

And before you comment the lug holes, let it be known that Rolex actually produced a GMT Master II with lugholes and SELs. So this kind of combo is certainly accurate, although rare.

2-1.jpg

Actually, the rehaut on the TW models is too deep (which is clearly seen in the next picture). Personally, I think the whole "rehaut" issue is actually much more a "crystal issue". See the small little "dent" just under the crystal and observe how the rehaut merges with the crystal on the genuine. The "TW best" model is almost spot on in this regard (rep on the left). This is where all Rolex Sub/GMT replicas fail. TW version isn't perfect, but it's the closest one.

5.jpg

Now look at the old CN version. From the left pic you'll see that it's both conical and comical. On the right you see how it looks like it's built from 2 different parts. The upper part of the rehaut gives that ugly "white circle" effect in certain lighting.

88.jpg

Compared to the old CN model the "TW Best" has another huge advantage. It's the cyclops/datewheel positioning, which is spot on. On the CN version they were placed too right on the crystal/dial.

Accuracy of the dial print and date magnification are inferior on the TW model. The etched crown is too big and offcenter, just like on all old TW models. The hour markers have the same characteristics as the old MBW/TW Best 16610 Submariner. They look wrong on the zoomed pictures. And while the print accuracy is a bit off, we'll notice that the print itself is very clear, crisp and high quality.

And trust me, it's impossible to see anything wrong with the dial, unless you take a loupe.

dial-2.jpg

The good news about the dial? Yes... the lume on the hour markers is superb. Best I've seen on any Rolex replica. It's probably not super lume, but the same material they have used on the UPO and Steelfish. Brilliant. Too bad the hands aren't quite as bright. But this is typical on all Rolex reps.

3-2.jpg

Like I said, this watch isn't mine. I'm still "GMT-less", and I'm waiting for the "perfect one". My friend bklm modified a http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23666]superb GMT for himself[/url]. He promised to do one for me too, but unfortunately it looks like that particular version is out of production. I want to believe it's only a matter of time when I find "my final" rep of this watch. Personally, I wouldn't mind the wrong hand stack version at all, especially from the long-term functionality standpoint.

It's only logical that Rolex (that has become a caricature of its former self) has ceased the production of their best and most fascinating watch ever, the classic GMT Master... and replaced it with soulless and tasteless "ceramic bezel" version. That watch even has polished middle links. Do you want it with or without diamonds, mr. 5-Cent? Yuck!

While this rep has lots of flaws, I like it a lot. It's a lot like the MBW vintages, really. It has certain genuine high quality "feel" in it. And just like MBW's it's not extremely accurate replica without modifications.

If I'd choose to keep this watch (and if I had modding skills I'd certainly keep it), I'd change the GMT hand to longer and thinner version, and would file the cg insides a bit. Then perhaps change the crystal to one that has smaller magnification. The dial isn't perfect, but I could easily live with it (especially keeping its excellent luminous abilities in mind).

This is certainly a great rep for someone who is capable of doing the mods. 2 years ago this rep would have been sensational. But since we've been spoiled with all kinds of TAG Links and Cousteaus lately, I can't give this watch very high accuracy rating.

But would I choose this watch over my old CN version, which was more accurate in many regards? Yes, without hesitation. Although pretty much everything is a "bit off", it has excellent genuine "feel" and presence, which the old CN model couldn't quite capture. Don't ask me what it is, because I can't give a reasonable explanation. Just look at this picture.

4.jpg

Jeff in AZ

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/6/07
Per usual, an insightful review. Thanks for helping educate we noobs.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Jeff in AZ said:
Per usual, an insightful review. Thanks for helping educate we noobs.

Thanks. And you're welcome Jeff... the pleasure was all mine. I'm a GMT geek. ;)

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
TW = Thailand's best?

By-Tor

I enjoyed yet another one of your incredibly detailed, insightful reviews, as usual.
balanced info on pluses and downsides for all types of collectors.

One quick comment= I thought TW was Taiwan not Thailand

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Re: TW = Thailand's best?

Jurgenk said:
By-Tor
I enjoyed your insightful review as I have in the past.
Just a quick comment== I thought TW was Taiwan not Thailand

Yes of course... sorry about that. I must be demented already in my thirties.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
no prob
The geography of these watch manufacturer'is kind of interesting tho. Sort of reflects the social climate of the places they come from.

next time I go to Asia I will no doubt be hitting markets in Taiwan, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and anywhere else I can get my hand on reps. I might just send a few care packages to myself back home!

D

d4m.test

Great review, By-Tor. Very informative and analytic. Enjoyful as always. I'm keeping an eye for you for the correct hand stack GMT. I'm saving a beautiful cn sub bezel for your GMT, my friend.

-bk

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
bklm1234 said:
Great review, By-Tor. Very informative and analytic. Enjoyful as always. I'm keeping an eye for you for the correct hand stack GMT. I'm saving a beautiful cn sub bezel for your GMT, my friend.

-bk

Thanks mate. Appreciated. ;)

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
Man, that was one enjoyable and informative read! Thanks a lot for your effort and time to put this up! :D
PT should let you keep it for that... :lol:

Although I don't agree on everything you said about the new GMT-MASTER, I am with you on what you said about the polished middle links. No go.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Yeah, I'm not saying the new ss Ceramic bezel version is all bad. It's actually the only decent looking new model they released in Basel. But they should have called it GMT Master III, and leave this classic into production.

Maybe I'm conservative, but IMHO this old version is light years better looking watch, and it was already an "institution". :(

maxlawbr

Put Some Respect On My Name
27/9/06
Very nice review.

I bought a GTM IIC and last week I bought, locally a GMT Master II, superb watch.

Could you show us a clasp photo?

Thanks again,

Max

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Guys... didn't you look at the title photo... this review is 2 1/2 years old. I haven't had this watch in my possession since.

This article shows much better 16710 rep.