• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

T SWISS MADE T

leftydna

Known Member
7/10/06
I was explaining why there were T's on either side of swiss made recently and realized I hadn't seen this on the forum and just assumed it was common knowledge, but you know what happens when you assume.

The "T" means that tritium was applied to make the hands and/or markers glow in the dark. A low level radioactive material. You don't need to worry about it, but don't be licking or eating the hands/dial either. The real victims of Radium were the watch dial painters, they would be encouraged to keep a fine point on their brushes by licking them. Before Trtium, Radium was used starting around 1900 as a means of illuminating watch hands and markers at night. It was widely used up until around the 1940's give or take, when the dangers of radiation became known. After that a less powerful radioactive material, Tritium began being used. Tritium is being phased out of watch dials by luminous compounds like Luminova which glow better, when charged, but need light to charge one reason Tritium is still being used in true submersibles.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
leftydna said:
Tritium is being phased out of watch dials by luminous compounds like Luminova which glow better, when charged, but need light to charge one reason Tritium is still being used in true submersibles.
Tritium is being phased out because it's a nuclear weapon. It's used as a starter in a classic fission bomb.

There are very few companies allowed to produce Tritium paint but you can see tritium tubes more commonly.

Another place you'll see Tritium dials is on military watches where they need constant illumination instead of bright illumination. They get around the nuclear arms problems by ... um, being the military. :D

leftydna

Known Member
7/10/06
So watches marked L SWISS MADE L use a light emission of photoluminescent type. Which I'm sure if you didn't already know you figured out by reading the above posts.

HiDef

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/10/06
How come I have not seen "R SWISS R" for Radium?? :twisted:

Just kidding you Lefty!!

leftydna

Known Member
7/10/06
Hmmmmmmmmm ........... that would be because:

Multiple Choice -
A. The Swiss watch industry had not standardized that at the time of its use. :D OR

B. Those dial painters grew 3rd eyes, long fangs besides their skin molting off and they had a really nasty disposition ..... think 28 Days Later or the newer 28 Weeks Later for movie buffs, either way something better left unspoken! :twisted: :shock: :wink:

HiDef said:
How come I have not seen "R SWISS R" for Radium?? :twisted:

Just kidding you Lefty!!

ken1

18/3/07
oh wow... i love eating dials... they're like chips. maybe the radiation accounts for my 6th finger? LOL.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Oh, and sometimes you'll see genuine watches with T SWISS on them that don't actually have any Tritium on the dials. These are watches built during the transition away from Tritium towards Luminova. For instance, the IWC GST built around 2000-2001 has T SWISS on the chapter ring, but the dial is Luminova.