• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watchwinders....Good or Bad for automatic reps.

Smack Daddy D

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/8/06
Are watchwinders they way to go for automatics or do they shorten the life of reps.???????

Smack Daddy D

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/8/06
Come on, there has to be someone with some insight on this topic.

In regards to reps., I am not certain whether it is more wear on a rep. to constantly be resetting the time by pulling the crown every week or so OR is it more wear on a rep. to have it run constanly on a winder.

I read in a post by Klink that his view is that a winder is basically a mechanism which keeps the watch running and pretty soon as with all reps it come to a grinding halt. i.e. if you want to shorten the life of a rep., then keep it running on a winder.

Need some feedback here.

Smack

d12bn

27/7/06
ok

Ok I'll give it try, no expert. I've read its not good for an automatic to sit in one position for long periods of time. If I remember right some have a lubricant of some type and it can settle in one place.

I've had some gen autos for a few years with no winder. Then I got a winder and run it about eight hours a day, during that time it cycles on and off. My watches worked well before the winder and work well since I got the winder.

As for as reps I've only had them on the winder for a few months with no problems.

In my opinion it should not make a difference between a rep or gen putting it on a winder if you have a good quality rep.