• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep or real Sub (56k)?

bob1919a

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/11/06
840A0004.JPG

840A0005.JPG

What do you think? :twisted:

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Rep. The glue round the gen bezel insert is the dead giveaway.

bob1919a

Banned
5/11/06
Besides the glue, is there anything else that distinguishes it as a rep or a gen? This watch is not new, and has been used as a daily beater for nearly 6 months.

drfcfighter

I'm Pretty Popular
19/11/06
Could have sworn that the gen pearl is actually round and it pops out unlike the one shown above, which has more of a flat surface.

NO?

sgv

Renowned Member
1/4/06
The etched hallmark on the crystal is too large.

Also, the date looks misalligned. Even though over the top part is just a shadow, there is too much space on the bottom for it to be centered. The date window isn't that large.

sv

Ferrariman

Renowned Member
19/8/06
sgv said:
The etched hallmark on the crystal is too large.

Also, the date looks misalligned. Even though over the top part is just a shadow, there is too much space on the bottom for it to be centered. The date window isn't that large.

sv

I'm certainly no expert but the halmark does look rather "in your face". That was the giveaway for me. Nice rehaut though.

coop

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
First thing that I noticed that gave it away was the pearl.

bob1919a

Banned
5/11/06
Heh, K, thanks for all the comments.

Basically this is just a combination of like four different submariners, since nearly all of them were heavily flawed (one's crown was missing the rolex stamp and the dial had a ton of dust under it, one's crystal was cracked, one's movement was dead, and one's dial print was very blurry). Apparently I have bad luck buying reps.

I basically took the best parts of all of them and put them together.

The etched hallmark is actually really not noticeable, for some reason it looks like I got a perfect angle and light distribution which made it look like it stands out.

And the date cyclops is perfectly aligned and has a 2.5x mag. I'll get a front no view of the Sub later.

The only flaw I happen to see is that the cgs are not even close to gen. I need to shave them down or something...

Also, the pearl is round and pops out, it looks flat in the photo but it just be my crappy photography skills (not to mention I used my phone's camera for the pic).

Any other thoughts? :shock:

D

d4m.test

rep
- conical and thin rehaut
- insert not recessed in bezel
- SEL too long, too high
- crystal edge not bevelled enough
- insert pearl flat
- edged crown too noticeable
- too much space between minute markers and rehaut

-bm

CRK

9/10/06
:?: should the sides of the bracelet be polished? The last GEN at the AD I looked at had them on all the Rolex Subs.

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
OK. Overall decision.

It's a POS watch.

Even gens are POS watches.

Rolex is done and over with.

Old fart's watch.

Overrated.

Forget about these damn Rolexes.

What is it with people and f*ck*ng Rolex!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Owned just one and did not feel any bigger, taller, stronger, smarter or richer.

Saw no point to it so sold it and now happier with more money.

:shock: :D :D

LL

smyrnasurfin

18/1/07
Re: OK. Overall decision.

paneraifreak said:
It's a POS watch.

Old fart's watch.

Overrated.

What is it with people and f*ck*ng Rolex!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Owned just one and did not feel any bigger, taller, stronger, smarter or richer.

LL

WOW! Feel Better? Tell us how you REALLY feel about Rolexs. :lol:

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06

Can I? Can I? Really??

:shock: :shock:

HHHMMMMM....

No, I better not, might offend some Rolex lovers out there...

You know, the only folks I ever see with a fake or real Sub are car salesmen and pawnshop owners.

Oh, and a German watchmaker who sports one and yet he sells Glaschuttes, Patek,etc. GO FIGURE???

LL

SLK55

28/7/06

paneraifreak said:
It's a POS watch.

Old fart's watch.

Overrated.

LL

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Although I do agree on certain points, the size of a standard Sub case is somewhat smallish by today's 47mm+ standards.

I have owned and still own several gens as well as a gen SMP Omega and others. SS Rolex Sub that I owned for about6 years now and a tt GMT are about as durable and bulletproof watches as they come. Both keep almost precise time, both have great power reserves, both are still looking new after heavy wear for many years.

The SS Sub actually saved my life. I was white water rafting and was wearing my sub when our raft capsized, causing me to fall out during a particularly long drop. As I entered the water, my wrist hit a sharp rock, cuasing a rather sizeable dent to the oyster bracelet, but no vein damage. Had I not been wearing a quality SS bracelet I would have surely severed by wrist, and bled out.

I respect Rolex watches, although they are not very exclusive or expensive now, I still treasure them as prized posessions. Just my .02

bob1919a

Banned
5/11/06
Like I said... the pearl is actually rounded... for some reason the camera didn't capture that.

D

d4m.test

don't see the bracelet has polished sides.

-bm

WatchDude13

Renowned Member
3/11/06
The fact that you can see the etched crown at all is a dead give-away. They would be better off not having that 'feature' at all as you cannont see it with the naked eye on a gen.