• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Not too many flaws in this great rep

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
Had some time and thought I would take the classic 'watch next to the photo" shot.

I cannot see that many flaws really.

Yes I know about the bezel: could not care less.

I'd say 98% accurate.

chrono.jpg

LL

watchlover

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/06
I agree with your assessment.

Lume-wise it sucks tho.. just don't wear it at night :lol: :lol:

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
That's right. However it may seem, the finishing is still not as good as the genuine Omega SMP Chrono (this goes without saying).

Flaws: Wrong datefont, weak lume, screw bracelet.

But hey! You've got a brilliant watch.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
i dunno...

it looks a little big next to the gen?

[smilie=angel8.gif]

Vric

Renowned Member
17/6/06
takashi said:

Wrong pearl (still one of the best for rep)
Misaligned bezel

But it's a great rep.. If I wouldn't had a SMP already, I would get that one for sure.

P.S.: Never take picture after 10PM, date is always "not centered" at that time :p

Bigshooter

Banned
15/3/06
Good looking rep, only a bunch of RWI dwellers would know the difference. :D

Sylar

Banned
17/1/07
I am wearing my GMT right now and love it. Gonna order the chrono version in 2 months. Gotta spread out purchases and get the Steelfish first.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Vric said:
takashi said:

Wrong pearl (still one of the best for rep)
Misaligned bezel

But it's a great rep.. If I wouldn't had a SMP already, I would get that one for sure.

P.S.: Never take picture after 10PM, date is always "not centered" at that time :p

That is true even in ETA7750. Date will change gradually eventually clicked on midnight.

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
Indeed.

I even went to try a gen on a while ago at the mall and the rep easily compared.

The weight is freakishly similar, the thickness is freakishly similar and even the bezel insert color is dead on.

The dial on the gen for sure feels better finished but you need to keep the watch near you and have experience or a WIS feel for the Swiss finish to be able to notice.

My wife, who know shit about watches, who thinks a $99 Timex is a luxury watch, would probably say that the rep has the same finish feel as the gen and in fact, if both watches are next to each other on a table, she would not know which is which....

And that is true for 99% of people.

That is because Swiss watches are not common like the Tomex at Walmart so the knowledge is limited to those who seek the Swiss items and manupilate them regularly.

Between rep collectors, the pleasure is not in fooling each other with reps but sharing our passion for quality watchmaking.

Between gen collectors, the passion is shared also.

Between rep collectors and gen collectors, a certain code of silence is expected and accepted...

Between rep collectors and 99% of people, your secret should be divulged as honesty will give reps more credibility...

Between gen collectors and 99% of people, who cares, your $10,000 Rolex will have to prove it's genuine status, anyways...

Sooo...

It is us rep collectors who win in the end....

we've beaten any good sale or discount price any Swiss makers could ever hash out and we still can look good to 99% of people, just like the gen collectors but for much cheaper...

The rep hobby....yeessss, just like savouring sweet gooey candy you just stole from the corner store...

Ahhh, childhood....To be young again with your neighborhood buddies, standing on the corner with your small candy loot, bragging about how easy it was to fool the old greek store keeper.

Luke

nietzsche

Known Member
9/1/07
I think buying a rep is showing your appreciation for the real thing in hte hope that one day you will get the real thing. That is not to say you will buy everything in the gen version that you would in the rep version, but rather, finances permititng, you would rather sport the genuine watch than the replica watch. People all too often get caught up with conceptions of "value" and how watches "look the same", but you have to realize, the rep is just a ghost of what the real one is. Anyone who is frank with himself and truly enjoys the "watch" culture will realize that the replica has none of the horological value of the genuine article and it is almost always the case the the gen is made with higher quality controls.

Would you really take a rep Sub to dive? Who you take a gen Sub to dive? Not to say that the rep would not be able to withstand it, but lets not fool ourselves, it is made to nowhere near the specs of the real one. If your watch keeps within COSC values for time, it by no means it will pass the COSC certification and a genuine rolex movement is more expensive than an ETA for more reasons than the fact that it carries with it a cache and a lack of eocnomy of production. With a gen, you are paying for a recognized company, who is accountable for their claims, and their word. You are paying for their design costs, you are paying for the fac that you are getting something that works as well as it looks and will continue to do so.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
I got very lucky... I got mine with the correct ETA datefont, even... from Sir Eddie (same as gen).

smp_dial2.jpg

1.jpg