• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT QUESTION

mjv

Renowned Member
16/4/06
I have a SWISS ETA 2836 MOD GMT and have noticed the gmt hand lags cosiderably during normal wear...however when the hour hand is advanced manually the gmt is spot on....set the time an wear the watch and it begins to lag again
any ideas as to wtf is going on here and a possible resolution?
thanks in advance
V

e36wchmstr

8/5/06
Is it exactly 2x as slow? If so then it's right it tracks on a 24hour schedule instead of a 12 hr like the hour hand.

If it's behind otherwise, I.E. you make a full 24 hours with the hour hand (2 revolutions) and the GMT hand has only gone like 3/4 the way around, then yes it's slow and I have no clue how to help ya there; maybe a watchsmith could be of some assistance? Maybe an adjustment?

mjv

Renowned Member
16/4/06
no, it lags a few hours behind during normal use.....not the standard 24hr tracking. i agree with an adjustment probably ,but where and to what is what i want to know
thanks
V

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
if u roll the hour hand around 2 times and the gmt hand is at 6 oclock u r good as long as the hour is at 12 , if this is happening then it is doing its job

if u roll the hour hand around 4 times then they all should line up at the 12 oclock mark

hope this helps

joe

mjv

Renowned Member
16/4/06
it did help....now you gotta tell me why
thanks

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
lol that is just how the gears r set up

joe

mjv

Renowned Member
16/4/06
joe don't laugh so hard :D what i'm thinking is now that it' seems to be running ok and the gears were taken thru their paces by going around 4-5 times.....do you think this may be a sign that it needs a cleaning/service if it continues....coz i have a few gmts and although they can be a little finicky they all track dead on once they're set
thanks alot
V

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
i always recommend getting any new replicas serviced after a few months of break in time , just because they r brand new movments

joe

e36wchmstr

8/5/06
Hmm, maybe something's off on mine then.

If I start @ 12, with all hands pointing at 12 o clock (gmt + hour + minute). I rotate the hour hand around 1 time and the GMT is at 6, I roll it around 2 times (24 hours total) and they are all back at 12. Is this right?

mjv

Renowned Member
16/4/06
YES THAT IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT....didn't know i was srceaming :D

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
u know what i told u wrong but was think right , lmao

it is when u go around once with hour hand your gmt should be half way which is on the 6 and then twice which is 24 hours it should all be lined up at 12 , i guess i was thinking double when i told u what i told u but either way still should be the same actually but u just did it twice, lmao

joe

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
I am glad that your probelm is fixed, but if you would ever like a RDS Gmt like this one LMK...no adjustments needed... :wink:
illumII.jpg