• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

tools for a watch enthusiast noob

bonanz

Horology Curious
6/1/07
Hello All,

I was wondering what is a standard set of tools a noob watch enthusiast should look for to get into tinkering with his own watches. I mean a noob looking to adjust links, change bands, replace a battery on a watch with one, maybe take the back off and take a peek around, but nothing too internal yet. I guess a "starter tool set for watch enthusiasts" would fit the bill. Any tips on the item for a tool set like this or possibly somewhere that sells one?

Thanks,

Bonanz

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
bonanz said:
I was wondering what is a standard set of tools a noob watch enthusiast should look for to get into tinkering with his own watches. I mean a noob looking to adjust links, change bands, replace a battery on a watch with one, maybe take the back off and take a peek around, but nothing too internal yet. I guess a "starter tool set for watch enthusiasts" would fit the bill. Any tips on the item for a tool set like this or possibly somewhere that sells one?
Precious Time and Narikaa both sell starter kits here.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
Basics: screwdrivers 2.5mm and below... tweezers. high quality and fine tipped.... link pin tool, for those Omega bracelets and others that are a B*$%h to resize... spring bar tool, use is obvious.... case back wrench, to get yourself into trouble....

I went with the TZ watch school sets from Ofrei (not the cheapest option). .. figure I can add to their kits from there... Birdman is a great source for individual tools as well... I've got nothing but good things to say about Birdman.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
...as OiRogers mentined above Ofrei is good. And from them you can buy an ETA movement to practice on.

http://www.ofrei.com

...lots of fun. :)

Sylar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/1/07
This thread is helpful for me as I want to start doing my opwn Mods as well. Thanks everyone. Now off to read the Do it yourself thread for the 3 days.

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Birdman , a dealer here can hook you up with some nice tools at very reasonable prices... :lol:

rawbarZ7

Renowned Member
16/5/06
I second birdman - in case you want some inexpensive tools that will almost certainly lead to expensive re-repairs or replacement!

Birdman's stuff is inexpensive and get's to your door before you impatiently take that extra link out with a hammer!

RB