• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing the Date Wheel...Anyone can do it...

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Well this definitely will be my longest post yet, and more than likely will end up in the dust bin of repair posts. However, if it is able to help one person who wants to try a simple repair, then great.

A while back I received a watch that had the wrong colored date wheel on it. It was not that big a deal to me since I knew that I could replace it. I figured since I was going to replace it with the correct white colored wheel, I might as well take some photos while doing it just in case anyone else here had the same problem and wanted to be brave enough to try it.

Ok now for the official cybee disclaimer: I am not a watch expert and most of the time I do things the wrong way and things just end up in a mess. (of course none of that is really true, only stated for legal reasons and liability purposes)

And any repair omissions here, and there are tons of them, please refer to the posts of Enzo in the tutorial section since any questions that may arise from my posting here may be answered in his postings. He and the others here (you guys know who you are) on the Dark Side are the real experts. Like Enzo says, “knowledge can be dangerousâ€

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
thanks gioarmani...it's a little scary opening oneself up to scrutiny. But it was a fun fix. Left some things out, but heck can't remember to list everything. :)

wanmadtim

26/3/06
Nice tutorial Cybee - Don't know if i would ever be brave enough to do work on my watches myself.......but an informative post for those who have a brave heart.....and steady hand. :) Wanmadtim

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
cybee said:
At this time we will take out the stem: Generally I pull the stem out to the hand set position and then push the button in the pic shown below and the stem will pull right out.
stemreleasebutton004Small.jpg
This step is best done with a 1.2mm screwdriver as if you push the pin too far you will need to strip the front of the movement to put the keyless works back together. :shock:

This is the reason that hope is shaped like that to stop you going too far.

ps. Go on, ask me how I know. :(

erd04056

Renowned Member
2/4/06
ps. Go on, ask me how I know. Sad
[quote:14o2vlae]

Probably the same way I found out. :? And it was on a vintage Paul Newman [smilie=violent1.gif]
[/quote:14o2vlae]

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
...Pugwash wrote:

This step is best done with a 1.2mm screwdriver as if you push the pin too far you will need to strip the front of the movement to put the keyless works back together.

This is the reason that hope is shaped like that to stop you going too far.

ps. Go on, ask me how I know.

...you're right. I had a photo with a pic showing myself depressing the button with screwdriver and then pulling the stem out. It was a little hard only having two hands, plus I was a little embarassed because I had not trimmed my thumbnail or put any lotion on it to look pretty for the picture.

Rule #1 in photo watch repair: Make nails look pretty... :) :) :)

otherwise thanks guys for the nice words. :)

watchlover

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/06
@cybee: very nice and detailed.. but I disagree that 'anyone' could do it, cuz I know I couldn't 8) 8)

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
Pugwash said:
ps. Go on, ask me how I know. :(

I know all to well myself... I think pretty much everyone has done that ONCE. :shock:

Everytime I've stripped a movement down... I've always set the hands to Midnight exactly prior to removal... and made a note of where the second hand was set....
The last time I stripped a movement down, I took a photo of the face prior to hand removal just to make certain that I reset the hands in the correct position to keep the date change at midnight... either way works I guess...

I'm still curious what method would be preferred by the masters here...

And great tutorial Cybee. I love seeing posts like these that increase a knowledge base for all.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
...@watchlover: you just might surprise yourself. Just get a movement to practice on and you'll get a little confidence in no time.. :)

...@OiRogers: I think either way would work and I have read that actually it is best to set the minute hand about

1 minute after midnite because it is better to have calendar switching a bit after midnite rather than before.... :) :)

dtan888

Renowned Member
3/1/07
Thans cybee, Don't have the guts to do it myself. time will tell... yeah me chicken. :lol:

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
crick said:
holy moly wow. awesome tutorial!

...Thank-you for the kind words...I am deeply humbled... :)

..( one day I will ask you about that girl in your avatar, she is becoming very intriguing to me :)

edit: you switched girls on me so now I'm no longer intrigued... :)

vaccum

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/06
Wow...don't know how I missed this one.

Your tool setup pic looks too organized compared to mine :lol: LOL :wink:

Well done.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
vaccum said:
Wow...don't know how I missed this one.

Your tool setup pic looks too organized compared to mine :lol: LOL :wink:

Well done.

Hi vaccum...that maybe but you know a heck of a lot more than I do...It was fun doing it and thank-you for

...the nice compliment... :)

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
Just as a safety note, you do not have to take the cover to the keyless works off to remove the date wheel!

you only need to rotate it manually a half click against the clicker and lift it away from the front of the dial on the clicker side.

If you look in the picture here you can see the cover over the click spring has two cutouts in it that are designed so that you can lift the date wheel when its manually rotated half a click. then you just have to use your jewelers screwdriver to depress the click spring agian when you install it.

b58fef9b.jpg