• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question for all the current and ex-military guys.

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
Ok, not really a rep question.

A friend of mine has twin sons that are about to get out of Marine basic. He wants to get them a gift for graduation and he was thinking about a watch for each of them. This will be something that they can work or play in, but primarily a good tool watch.

Now, the hard part. He wants the watches to be the same and he only has about $150 to spend per.

What do you guys think would be good in a gen at this price point? What did you guys use?

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
G-shock tuff, durable, waterproof, and can't be broken. The perfect tactial watch. 8)

JCM1662

Renowned Member
6/6/06
having spent 5 years in military college and as a lieutenant in the Marines, his best option is a watch they can absolutely beat on, as it will take far above and beyond the abuse and use of any normal watch.

I went through a few g-shock timex's and they are supposedly the best.

My suggestion would be to get a military spec watch that looks good too. That kind of limits your options I know, but at uscav.com they have a few military tested and approved watches that look pretty good and can withstand the day to day wear of a soldier.

Hope this helps.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
JCM1662 said:
having spent 5 years in military college and as a lieutenant in the Marines, his best option is a watch they can absolutely beat on, as it will take far above and beyond the abuse and use of any normal watch.

I went through a few g-shock timex's and they are supposedly the best.

My suggestion would be to get a military spec watch that looks good too. That kind of limits your options I know, but at uscav.com they have a few military tested and approved watches that look pretty good and can withstand the day to day wear of a soldier.

Hope this helps.

What he said.

You can try rangerjoes.com, too.

If not for the $150 limit, I would suggest the Marathon SARs (quartz are a little cheaper than the autos).

Chicken Manny

22/3/06
G-Shock all the way. That is all I used. Simple, tough and digital. It might depend on what they end of doing but it is hard to go wrong with a G-Shock. 3+ years in Recon and the only thing I ever broke was a couple straps.

sonystyle

8/6/06
Seiko Auto Diver
skx007
B000CSH0NK.01-A3NEEKFH28LV5D._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51449629_.jpg

Casio G-Shock (I think this model is the best!)
DW5600 (dont get the solar one)

dw-5600e-1vdf.JPG

Chicken Manny

22/3/06
Unless they are going out to the bars, then it is all about the 187! [smilie=icon_salut.gif]

Ferrariman

Renowned Member
19/8/06
Chicken Manny said:
Unless they are going out to the bars, then it is all about the 187! [smilie=icon_salut.gif]

I assume you are talking Pam 187? I agree on a gen. All good and probably very durable. Just me but I was in the service and although I love the rep stuff I would never never never have a rep watch in the field. You life may depend on it. :D Good to stay not dead.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
$99

J172001_250.jpg

# Strap: Black rubber strap with silver-tone inserts
# Movement: Miyota 8205 movement
# Crystal: Mineral crystal
# Crown: Push and pull crown
# Clasp: Buckle clasp
# Strap Measurements: 10"L x 28mm
# Case Measurements: 49mm x 41mm
# Water Resistance: 10 ATM - 100 meters - 330 ft
# Model Number: CA301087BSBK
# Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty provided by Croton Watch Co.

$120
J171786_250.jpg

# Bracelet: Stainless steel and polycarbonate bracelet
# Movement: Quartz movement
# Crystal: Mineral crystal
# Crown: Push and pull crown
# Clasp: Deployant clasp
# Bracelet Measurements: 9"L x 30mm
# Case Measurements: 43mm
# Water Resistance: 10 ATM - 100 meters - 330 ft
# Model Number: CW66461.47C011
# Warranty: Two year limited warranty

shopnbc.com

Chicken Manny

22/3/06
Ferrariman said:
Chicken Manny said:

I assume you are talking Pam 187? I agree on a gen. All good and probably very durable. Just me but I was in the service and although I love the rep stuff I would never never never have a rep watch in the field. You life may depend on it. :D Good to stay not dead.

I was totally joking about the 187. I meant if they went to pick up women in the bars a PAM 187 would be a good choice.

I would never wear a PAM 187 in combat. Too big and way too shiny. Might as well have a bright baby blue helmet on. :wink:

Niko

Renowned Member
25/7/06
We were actually supplied with G-shocks, but were not obliged to use them.

However most of us elected to. Push button synchronise, countdown timer and either red or blue light illumination were the most important features for us.

N.

efnstefn

Renowned Member
3/4/06
Curious if there are "standard issue" timepieces in the military. I wish I had asked my Dad about this (he was a Marine) while he was still around. I inherited the watch fetish from him, but never asked....

Niko

Renowned Member
25/7/06
I would not have minded having a grandfather in the Italian Navy Special Divers Unit during world war two....I imagine I may have inherited an interesting watch.

ThumbModds

I'm Pretty Popular
29/8/06
Niko said:
We were actually supplied with G-shocks, but were not obliged to use them.

However most of us elected to. Push button synchronise, countdown timer and either red or blue light illumination were the most important features for us.

N.

When I was In during and after Operation Desert Storm we all had Timex, Seiko military,Luminox,Traser and Marathon

Chicken Manny

22/3/06
There was such a thing as standard issue watches. They were mostly unmarked but manufactured by Hamilton and a few other makers. Pilots usually get the best watches.