• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it still considered a rep if you use all gen parts?

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
If you acquired EVERY gen part ala cart ... then assembled the watch yourself, I believe you would have a gen....

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I failed to many times .. but what a beautiful thing is to fail!!!!!!!!!! ive been here with u guys even u you can not feel me inside of you guys .
I miss alcohol

Good to see you back Pec, the feel of this place has changed recently, so we'd all welcome you back inside us to stamp some authority on proceedings...

Fiveostang

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/11/12
I failed to many times .. but what a beautiful thing is to fail!!!!!!!!!! ive been here with u guys even u you can not feel me inside of you guys .
I miss alcohol

Hi pec hope all is well buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PecMan

4/5/09
everyrhing is good brothers just vote and support bernie

PecMan

4/5/09
yeahhhh buddy . its time to have someone like him in charge

d.brocke

I'm Pretty Popular
...just my 2 cents:
Some added genuine parts = franken
All genuine but the case set = Uber franken
All genuine from the case out = genuine, regardless of who constructs it.
Though on dive models I'd have it pressure tested before going down to meet Nemo.

d.brocke

I'm Pretty Popular
Try sending an "assembled from gen parts" watch to Rolex for a service and see what happens. If they don't regard it as gen, we can't regard it as gen.

A gen watch is assembled by an OEM then serviced by an AD using OEM parts. Anything less than this is watch of dubious provenance and needs a name other than Franken if it is all gen parts.

I propose "Dodgy Gen".

If we can all agree the parts are OEM but not necessarily original to the watch, its a Dodgy Gen.

True.
I've sent a watch completely constructed with genuine case and everything else genuine in for service.
( 2006 Z series 16610)
2 days after it's arrival they contacted me asking me if I wanted the crown and bezel insert replaced.
I replied "no thank you": and almost 5 weeks later paid the bill for "complete service on Cal.3135 and case/bracelet clasp buffing".
Dodgy ? I don't know.
Genuine ? RSC in TX deemed it as such :)
Mind you, it's virtually impossible to build an "all genuine" 16610 for less than the cost of a nice, pre-owned piece.
But for some, it's for the thrill and the chill, not the frill. :punk:

Rabbagasten

I'm Pretty Popular
25/12/15
I think a watch is a gen when it has all the parts needed for an AD to do a service. Usually you can have a whole watch "rebuilt" by the original factory if you are in possession of a gen case.

GreenTea

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/12/15
I guess I would consider it a GEN watch if the majority of the parts that make up the watch were GEN and out-shined the REP parts.

zocker4711

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/3/13
The Watch is GEN when all Parts are 100% GEN...

But there are a few Brands like IWC they register there Watches Since 1890 in an Book... IWC is the only Brand that I know that have all Stuff of every Watch that leaves them registered... And that not only the Case Serial...

IWC can check internal if the Movment for Exsample was ever swapped... If so then the Watch is gen, but IWC check these Watch intensively... If there is only 1 part not GEN IWC they can pass the Repair... Normally they don't do!
But they will swap the Part and put it on your Bill...

So other Brands register only the Case Serial and don't see this sooooo hard as IWC do...

For Exsample take your GEN Rolex to an Watchsmith around the Corner for Service... This WS swap the Mainspring for an 3rd Party spring, so you couldn't say this Watch isn't GEN anymore...

So we must difference which Parts would be swapped... You can't say GEN to an Watch when you Buikd in an Aftermarket or Rep Dial... But also there are WS that sell Aftermarket Dials with Full Diamonds on as GEN...

But if we see it from the Brand Company Site... Then the Watch isn't GEN anymore and they don't work on it...

So for me an Watch is GEN when all Parts are really GEN ;)

D

d4m.test

Most luxury brands are swiss, so as funny as it may sound, if it says "Swiss Made" on the watch case or dial, You not only need the gen parts, You should travel to Switzerland and assemble it over there in a Hotel room. It already makes a big difference towards gen:)
BUT - the law requires the manufacturer to carry out the final inspection in Switzerland as well - and that could only be made by one of the registered brands.

from Wikipedia:
Swiss Made defined by law

Swiss watch

A watch is considered Swiss, according to the Swiss law if:

• its movement is Swiss and,
  • its movement is cased up in Switzerland and;
  • the manufacturer carries out the final inspection in Switzerland
Swiss watch movement

A watch movement is considered Swiss if:

• the movement has been assembled in Switzerland and,
  • the movement has been inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland and;
  • the components of Swiss manufacture account for at least 50 percent of the total value, without taking into account the cost of assembly.
If a watch movement is intended for export and will not be cased-up in Switzerland, but it otherwise meets the criteria to be considered a Swiss movement, the watch may say "Swiss Movement" but it may not say Swiss Made on the watch case or dial.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
I'm not sure - if you were to assemble say a Bentley yourself from a shell and other salvaged genuine Bentley parts would anyone try to argue it wasn't a real one?

Same argument, if someone put aftermarket bumpers on a Bentley from the Bentley factory would anyone argue it wasn't a real one any more because it has an aftermarket part on it? Same argument if you were to assemble the car yourself with the aftermarket bumpers to start with. Yet if the Chinese stated turning out replica shells or engines for instance with all other genuine parts you might start to say it wasn't real.

Basically what I'm saying is for me the only fixed requirements to call a watch a gen is the movement and case. Not to say these are the only ones and any aftermarket parts would obviously need to be known about and would significantly alter the value of the watch. The watch in question may be relatively undesirable but if the movement and main case are gen then IMO it would be a gen with aftermarket dial, crown and bracelet etc.

Certainly a a big grey area!

Dr. Mike

Renowned Member
7/9/15
Listen to Johnny Cash "One piece at the time" then Google image the Cadillac he built from that song LOL.