• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modded and aged TC V6 LV - Too perfect out of the box ! Images ....

Radman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/12/13
I see 12-15 year old 16610 on sale at TRF and they look pretty damn "new".

Garyb

I'm Pretty Popular
3/11/13
People(not me, lol) buy new Rolexes, wear them for a day, week, month then put them in a safe and move on all the time. Friend of my daughter inherited a like new 16610 from his late grandfather. Saw it on her wedding day a year and a half ago and wasn't in the mind set to take a pic. But maybe it was a rep and I was too drunk to tell, lol.

MSAMatt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/12/14
Not uncommon at all for 16610's to be found in NOS condition.

944black

Known Member
19/4/11
It's a nice watch, but looks too new? If you bought a car would you go rub dirt all over it because it looks too new? Guess I think differently but I always try to keep my possessions looking as good as possible.

Yes, I understand where you're coming from, and I didn't expect this to be to everyone's taste.

Like I mentioned, on the wrist, the watch still looks shiny and pretty - I'm afraid macro pictures make the added hairline scratches look worse than they acctually seem on the wrist.

The purpose of this is to make it feel like a real 12 to 14 year old watch that has been worn.
I think it achieves this, so I'm happy!

944black

Known Member
19/4/11
I totally understand the looks too new part... imagine getting a watch which was supposed to be made or sold many years back and now you are wearing it as though it was made a week ago (the fact that, it is). People will raise questions and the only answer I can give is.. I kept it in the winder and only used like 5 times... which sounds awfully weak.

Sent from my Samsung Note Edge

Exactly my point [MENTION=119457]alexwaffle[/MENTION] , thank you - hence the hairline scratch "Mod" !

gbxx

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/14
Yes, I understand where you're coming from, and I didn't expect this to be to everyone's taste.

Like I mentioned, on the wrist, the watch still looks shiny and pretty - I'm afraid macro pictures make the added hairline scratches look worse than they acctually seem on the wrist.

The purpose of this is to make it feel like a real 12 to 14 year old watch that has been worn.
I think it achieves this, so I'm happy!

At the end of the day, it's about your happiness with the watch... not ours :)

Some of the patinas I've seen on here look artificial, but yours looks pretty natural..

mrtoulouse

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/5/13
Often when you see those gens up close in day light they will have slight hair lines all over the place - I tend to agree with OP, that a slight wear and broken in feel makes all the difference in a rep. Sure you can find near mint specimens in the gen world, and I got lucky with my gen LV (although it does have a few scufss and hairs now that I have worn it daily for a few months) but when you are wearing a rep, and KNOW it is a rep, it just seems so more plausible and realistic if the watch feels used. Also - a new TC is stiff and sharp in all aspects, much different feeling than a brand new gen, and this can be remedied with some hard work to bracelet and case.

944black

Known Member
19/4/11
Often when you see those gens up close in day light they will have slight hair lines all over the place - I tend to agree with OP, that a slight wear and broken in feel makes all the difference in a rep. Sure you can find near mint specimens in the gen world, and I got lucky with my gen LV (although it does have a few scufss and hairs now that I have worn it daily for a few months) but when you are wearing a rep, and KNOW it is a rep, it just seems so more plausible and realistic if the watch feels used. Also - a new TC is stiff and sharp in all aspects, much different feeling than a brand new gen, and this can be remedied with some hard work to bracelet and case.

My thoughts exactly [MENTION=63638]mrtoulouse[/MENTION] - I work in an industry where gen 16610 are very common. I ate lunch friday and counted 5 LNs on various wrists in the staff restaurant.
I have asked to look at some of them over lunch in the past few months, and they ALL have tiny hairline scratches.
For all I knew (and I'm not a total newbie at this) they could have all been TC V6s because they "fitted". The story matched the watch every time.
I have one friend I work with who got a 16610 as a gift from someone he worked for as a reward, and he hates it !
He hasn't had it serviced in years (probably since he got it 10 years ago), and the thing is beaten to death !

I don't know what you think of my case softening, [MENTION=63638]mrtoulouse[/MENTION] , but I'll post some more pics when it's all finished.
What's the best way to soften the bracelet edges? Same as the case - slowly and very carefully ?

Cheers

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
People(not me, lol) buy new Rolexes, wear them for a day, week, month then put them in a safe and move on all the time.

Lol. Yeh, those dicks have more cash then sense. Can't think of anything more stupid than buying a watch to keep in a safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garyb

I'm Pretty Popular
3/11/13
I don't think I have owned a watch long enough to service it, lol. The ones I might own long enough won't be worth servicing.

mrtoulouse

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/5/13
Well I use a machine to get the ground lines perfect, and then I slowly do the finishing by hand :) It is kind of hard to see on the pics, but looks pretty good :)

Garyb

I'm Pretty Popular
3/11/13
Well I use a machine to get the ground lines perfect, and then I slowly do the finishing by hand :) It is kind of hard to see on the pics, but looks pretty good :)

If we lived on the same continent I'd send you my case and bracelet.

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
Yeah.....aging a watch that can be 10 years old is a bit unnecessary IMHO, my 07 LV m series looks new ....I removed the stock strap and insert and put them away and placed a TC strap to keep the gen strap looking new, w/o stretch. I even placed a different gen LV insert to keep the stock LV insert mint. In a years time, your watch will look old anyways, with more natural marks from actual use.

alessandri

I'm Pretty Popular
28/10/15
LEC pic: Closeup

pic host

Chamfer looks good. If you could get it polished a bit more right on the chamfer, it would suit my taste perfectly.
Question for the experts: do you polish the sides of the case and the chamfers, then go back and put the brushing on the top of the case by hand? What tool are you using for the top of the case?
I have no problem with doing a bracelet. I seem to bleed into my polished areas when trying to get the brushing on the case top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbxx

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/14
Chamfer looks good. If you could get it polished a bit more right on the chamfer, it would suit my taste perfectly.
Question for the experts: do you polish the sides of the case and the chamfers, then go back and put the brushing on the top of the case by hand? What tool are you using for the top of the case?
I have no problem with doing a bracelet. I seem to bleed into my polished areas when trying to get the brushing on the case top.

I wouldn't attempt to brush the lugs. I scratched a lug once and tried to touch it up, and it looked like hell. It's nearly impossible to lay down the same lines as a factory TC case. They won't be even and it'll look like crap.

Honestly, I wouldn't try to chamfer either...

My advice would be to seek the case whisperer... https://rwg.cc/topic/178148-lugholes-in-a-tc-case

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I wouldn't attempt to brush the lugs. I scratched a lug once and tried to touch it up, and it looked like hell. It's nearly impossible to lay down the same lines as a factory TC case. They won't be even and it'll look like crap.

Honestly, I wouldn't try to chamfer either...

My advice would be to seek the case whisperer... https://rwg.cc/topic/178148-lugholes-in-a-tc-case
What!? That looks awesome! And he's in canada eh? What does that service cost?

gbxx

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/14
What!? That looks awesome! And he's in canada eh? What does that service cost?

Yeah, he's in Canada!!!

I was going to have him fix a TC case with a maker error. But I decided that if I was going to have him do some work, that I'd start with a good example from TC instead. His prices vary. But I think to do the chamfer... He polishes the top of the lugs, lays down the even chamfer and polishes, and then he re-brushes the lugs to perfection. It's at least a few hours of work to do right..

There's another thread on here of his lapping machine. https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/197564-Lapping-machine-project-has-begun

I guess my point was, if I were going to put a bevel on my case, I'd have him do it. I wouldn't even attempt to do it myself. Some have done a decent job on here, but I suspect if you put the hand bevels under a macro lens, you'd see some variation..