• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best route to custom Rolex Sub

TheMainFrame

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/2/14
So I want a color combination that does not appear to be standard on the Sub reps... and im curious which is the best path since i have zero experiance taking apart a watch....

The goal is a blue dial and black bezel on silver...

Is my best bet to buy a blue rep and a black bezel and try to swap it out... I'm assuming its the easiest path compared to a black sub and trying to swap in a blue dial...

or could this be just complex enough to have a pro do it for me?

TheMainFrame

12/2/14
on second thought... it looks as if the gen i was refrencing has a custom dial... at least i think its fading darker and its not shadows...

Referenced Watch

FLWatchGuy

Renowned Member
Supporter
22/3/15
I don't think bezel removal / replacement is for the novice. I tried it on a GMT II and scratched the case up pretty good, and I kind of know what I'm doing.

I've found it's easier to replace the entire movement than the bezel, but that's just me.

Another issue - the blue dial subs usually come with hands that are yellow gold, I think. Those yellow gold hands might not look good with the all-stanless case of the black sub. Just something to think about...

TheMainFrame

12/2/14

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Probably a custom but I like it! I like anything Sunburst Blue so I built this a few years ago. I've been told the combo was a Far-East release in gen form.

I kinda wince now when I look at the CGs but back then I don't remember that they bothered me. This hobby will definitely cause you to not be happy with anything!

Blue%20Sub%201.jpg

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
A deep blue Submariner? That's really pretty nice actually. Wonder if Rolex would ever do something like that? It's different for sure.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
the prices on that site seem pretty whack, like potentially too cheap, no?

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Rup - I was told by a WIS that they actually did make one for I think it was the Japanese market.

D

d4m.test

The dial isn´t blue, it has a gradient from black to blue with a totally different look that makes it so attractive.
You need:
a 16610 Submariner $198 http://www.intime.co/submariner/939-submariner-16610-a2836-.html this is certainly not the best, but it´s always easy to go more expensive
a Deepsea blue $278 http://www.intime.co/rollie/1842-se...e-noob-best-edition-on-ss-bracelet-a2836.html plus shipping for both

and that watch can be build. You will have a spare asian eta movement and all other parts. You can always revert it and switch it back. You can try to get the 16610 cheaper or much more expensive (depending on the quality wanted) or with time on m2m from a broken movement watch.

Just check if the dial-sizes are different but I´m assuming they are the same. The dial-feet, position of the date window etc are the same as it´s the same movement in both.

With the above solution You can build it for a bit more than the best version ultimate sub-c will cost. Good luck with the project.
Bonesey´s complete pictorial on how to disassemble step-by-step for having a look: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...How-to-age-your-Vintage-Rolex-(Bonesey-style)
My TC Rouge Submariner with no-cyclops Seadweller look, red Yachtmaster hand, black, inverted datewheel and submariner-c glidelock clasp
IMG_7313c_zpso0nsfst4.jpg

a disassembled Tudor, those will not look much different and You don´t need to disassemble as much
Tudor%2520SPA2_3899_zpsxfn6dija.jpg

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Putting a deep sea blue dial in a Sub case may look the same as the deep blue Sub from a distance, but it's the wrong combination of parts.

TheMainFrame

12/2/14
Putting a deep sea blue dial in a Sub case may look the same as the deep blue Sub from a distance, but it's the wrong combination of parts.

My point exactly... Does anyone know someone or a TD that could facilitate such a custom dial? Maybe we could even organize a small run of them to make it worth a TD's time... crowd source it or something

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
16610BB__39833.1428958782.750.750.jpg

Trailie likes. The gen is actually a pretty good price.

TheMainFrame

12/2/14
*Update*

I contacted the company selling this "gen" and inquired as to the source of the dial, and if it was a Rolex generated custom job or an aftermarket dial. There responce..

"The dial is aftermaret made by us."

Garyb

I'm Pretty Popular
3/11/13
Rup - I was told by a WIS that they actually did make one for I think it was the Japanese market.

Yup, this is the Japan only rare model
I'm still contemplating building one like JMB did. He sold me an awesome blue sunburst dial. Thinking about putting it into one of the new BP 16610's but would have to use dial dots because of the different movement I think.
e1a515c8a3e00eae3cd8753490b69bfc.jpg

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Pretty odd looking markers! Does anyone rep this watch? I dig the blue dial with silver script.