• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pam382 zf v2 _ patina project

eshow3907

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/13
And totally cleaned - recaptured shiny look

Did you polish her up, or was that just after a simple Katsup bath?

I bit the bullet and pulled out a cape cod last night to see how close to mirror I could get the KW Bronze.

a24ea64516d1b042bfd50aff8712fe8b.jpg

Sent from the Death Star using TapaTalk

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Are there anyone who can succesfully achieve that brown 'statue' like patina ?

I'm a few years removed from the art world, but my understanding is that ferric nitrate is used on most bronze statues after casting to get the brownish patina. I remember at the Rodin museum in Paris, they talked a lot about his experimental techniques with different chemicals to get the green and brown, but I couldn't remember exactly what he used to save my life haha.

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
You can achieve the deep brown look you are after with a high concentration of Liver of Silver for a lengthy period of time. It's not the natural patina for one of these however......... Just be aware.

Are there anyone who can succesfully achieve that brown 'statue' like patina ?

Poolsfinest

Renowned Member
4/8/14
I've just taken mine back a few steps via ketchup and lemon bath. Didn't scrub or polish too hard though. Unbelievable how much more pink they look when "raw".
I am now in the process of repeatedly salt bathing my watch to try and achieve a slightly different look. Going well so far. Will post some pics I have taken later.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
I've just taken mine back a few steps via ketchup and lemon bath. Didn't scrub or polish too hard though. Unbelievable how much more pink they look when "raw".
I am now in the process of repeatedly salt bathing my watch to try and achieve a slightly different look. Going well so far. Will post some pics I have taken later.

By salt bathing you meant drowning the watch into a water+salt solution ?

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
Funny, I thought only sea water solution that can change the patina on this watch. So, is the effect of salt+water fast enough to make it patine ?

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
A few days ago I saw the bronzo at my local dealer, it was wrapped with a cling wrap (usually for food). And the patine happening to the watch is quite good, the black is old statue like. I dare anyone to try the same and see if the results is brilliant!

Poolsfinest

Renowned Member
4/8/14
I hope the OP doesn't mind me joining in with his thread. If so, shoot me a PM and I'll remove...

My bronzo had achieved quite a deep patina that I liked but had quite a lot of "mottling".
33162051-A954-4DDA-B69A-ACF25A088FC1.jpg

So I took it most of the way back to its raw finish via ketchup and a toothbrush. Really surprising how pink these are when raw.
0dc5003353b01cef7c6c9f2116a5b6bb.jpg

I have then applied the boiled egg in a bag technique outlined in the link I posted above to slowly force the patina. After each application I have used a gentle scouring pad (like a washing dish pad) to even out any variation. This leaves cracks and crevices slightly darker but removes the mottling I encountered above. This is how it looks so far...
fd1ee8292b437cc64ccba67a18bc66c7.jpg

Just need to keep slowly building and hopefully I can get back to the darkness of the original. To be honest, these don't photograph great at close range. I'm already quite pleased with how it looks. Hopefully will post a wristy in natural light to show how it develops.