• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Interesting Read - Sylvester Stalone ticked off at Panerai

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
I was browsing RWG a few minutes ago and saw an interesting thread, so I hope no1 minds that i share the info here. Seems like Stalone is a little pissed off at Panerai, and given their history, i think his frustration has quite a bit of merit.

Take a look here: http://pagesix.com/2016/01/26/sylvester-stallone-ticked-off-at-watch-company-for-copying-slytech/

For those that dont/didnt know - Stalone played a huge part in bringing Panerai to the high end watch forefront. I dont think this is about money, or fame - just shear acknowledgement and they lack thereof makes this a bit of a snub in my view. What are your thoughts?

miniatureone

Renowned Member
16/7/14
Stallone basically helped bring Panerai out from the brink (with the help of DA GOVERNATOR); I'd be ticked off too.

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Yeah, Sly has every right to be pissed off i think!

JohnnyBe

3/1/16
yeeee..another rocky movie...Rocky vs Panerai..

PAM1983

I'm Pretty Popular
6/4/15
The Original SlyTech is worth $400,000.00 each!!!!!!!!!! WOW! Wouldn't you feel like a jackass if you just gave it away to friend or sold it or better yet thought it was junk and threw it away if you were a crew member on that set years ago.

I agree with Sly. they should at least fill him in on things. But as a business they have every legal right to do so if no contracts were signed stating otherwise in any shape or form thereof.

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
So what model is he pissed they're releasing? He said it's new Daylight but I haven't seen anything yet.

winz

Known Member
23/4/15
So what model is he pissed they're releasing? He said it's new Daylight but I haven't seen anything yet.

PAM 786

http://www.deployant.com/sihh-2016-panerai-pam-786-luminor-8-days-set/

Pam650_Cat_Dett01_B.jpg

Tickleshoes

Renowned Member
Supporter
19/8/15
45th Parallel
They said the new one had nothing to do with Sly and yet they call it "Daylight" just like the name of the film Stallone wore the watch in!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Yeah, according to Mario Paci the slytech with white dial and blue indices was one of the first prototypes shown to Stallone and it was immediately rejected.
We can now confirm that he has much more taste than current Panerai designers :)

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Even if it was called Daylight, that directly ties in to Stallone since it was during the shooting of that movie that Sly happened to check out some Panerai watches and the rest is history. SMH at the representative who said "well it's not called Slytech, it's Daylight". Tsk tsk tsk

JMMC

30/11/14
Not even worth the rant btw Stallone & Panerai !

Refereing to gen...
It looks cheap to me.
The blue jeans-whiteT_&_snikers Pam.
Not worth the priece, I won´t pay more than 1500eur for a watch with such esthetics, just because it says PANERAI on dial.

Refering to rep..
An intereesting easy to rep watch to break next summer, if offered at a reasonable price.

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
I really like the 786! Looking forward to a rep.

But I understand Stalone, i wonder where Panerai would be today without Sly.

BTW: I really hope he wins a Oscar this year.

Sent from my iPhone 6

JoeyT

11/8/14
Stallone should be given a seat on the panerai board of directors. He essentially gave them the 15 mins of fame that they desperately needed.

Silvanos

Renowned Member
22/5/15
Not only in USA but in italy too , Sly has been the best advertising locomotive for Panerai..

Superman76

I'm Pretty Popular
8/1/15
Maybe they are trying to get away from the tough guy marketing that launched them... To me, that was a major turn off. I love the look of the vintage inspired Panerai, but hate the idea of it being a watch for meatheads and former Ed Hardy enthusiasts.

Hisenburg

Known Member
29/12/13
Cold blooded like an amphibian. He must not have structured his initial deal in a way that would protect him legally. Kinda sucks that they would do this after he helped put them on the map. Such is business, tho