• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Reliability / Price

cacrusplant

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/1/16
Hey.

i'm new here. After checking my bank and realising i won't be getting my IWC Port or Daytona anytime soon, I decided to come here.

I'm looking for my first rep but I am a tad concerned on the construction. i've got around £200 max to spend and I have initially been looking at Seiko's as I think they are the next best thing to a Swiss watch.

I was then thinking, well what about reps, could I get away with buying a rep daytona or IWC and have it actually last me a good few years? Or even a lifetime with regular servicing etc. I'd want something that I can wear often, but that wont fall apart after 3 months of wearing. Am I in the right place?

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Daytona, i dont think so....

im not sure about the IWC.

If you are looking at 100% perfomance, i hate to say it, go Seiko.
Ive got about 6 seikos and never a lick of problems.

Alll my reps are 100% too , but they took alot of work to get that way...not OTB :(

cacrusplant

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/1/16
Bummer, my dreams are broken, my heart is shattered.

The main reason for me wanting one is needing it for when i go to meetings or social events. I'm still stuck with my Casio terrorist watch you see, although it's an insane watch, it just doesn't look the part, unless i am in negotiation with some terror cell, which I am not nor have been or will ever be hah. Can £200ish reps be compatible to cheap brands i.e rotary, citizedn, sekonda that are mass produced in china etc?

miniatureone

Renowned Member
16/7/14
Part of it is that regular servicing isn't cheap. Sure you could probably get a 21J to last pretty damn long with periodic cleaning, oiling, occasional wheel replacement, etc. But are you going to pay ~$200 every x number of years for a $250 watch?

vanwolff

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
Germany
I'd suggest picking a nice watch from the Sales section. M2M can get you a very good bang for your buck. Regarding 21J: Buy cheap, buy twice.

junbug5150

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
24/12/14
Part of it is that regular servicing isn't cheap. Sure you could probably get a 21J to last pretty damn long with periodic cleaning, oiling, occasional wheel replacement, etc. But are you going to pay ~$200 every x number of years for a $250 watch?

Are people servicing 21Js? It's much cheaper to just replace them at ~$30-40 a pop :)

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Or get a quartz rep .....

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Hey.

i'm new here. After checking my bank and realising i won't be getting my IWC Port or Daytona anytime soon, I decided to come here.

I'm looking for my first rep but I am a tad concerned on the construction. i've got around £200 max to spend and I have initially been looking at Seiko's as I think they are the next best thing to a Swiss watch.

I was then thinking, well what about reps, could I get away with buying a rep daytona or IWC and have it actually last me a good few years? Or even a lifetime with regular servicing etc. I'd want something that I can wear often, but that wont fall apart after 3 months of wearing. Am I in the right place?

IWC I definitely think you could find something. If you upped your budget a bit, you could get something great. Consider the noob Ingenieur Laureus or Portofino. Both have Asian 2892 movements that can be serviced or upgraded to Swiss later down the line if you think they're a keeper.

miniatureone

Renowned Member
16/7/14
Are people servicing 21Js? It's much cheaper to just replace them at ~$30-40 a pop :)

Definitely true. But I guess I was saying if you wanted your rep to "last a lifetime". Then we get into the whole existential-horology question of how much can you replace before it's no longer the same watch as before?

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
Jeez some of you guys have had bad luck, ive had over 100 reps just the occasional breakdown and most of mine are in the £100 - £150 bracket, ive never had one serviced either.
Ive had a couple of movement die, one got sent back and replaced and 1 had to get a transplant, £35.. easy

saying that, ive never worn one rep solid for a long length of time like 5-6 months

Worried about reliability its hard to go past one with a miyota, or a quartz.

and i second the idea of buying one in M2M

mauricio612

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
4/12/15
I have had 2 cheap montblanc reps for 3 years. I have been wearing them alternately every day, all day and they are still alive, keep good time etc...

I don't even know what's in them because I got them from a street market in Bangkok and they cost me 50$ each

Now I hear that some 350$ high end reps need regular servicing and sometimes die after a couple of months which is disappointing.

I don't know what to expect anymore...