• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A quick question about riding a bike in U.S on UK license

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
@Thrasher is completely right about insurance!! Insurance is A MUST!!!
However, you do not need a M/C license to get insurance, as @sinsir said!
Ah that may be so but I bet if you don't have a licence the insurer won't pay out on a claim. Insurance won't pay if you are drunk so why would they pay if you are not correctly licenced? Just because you can get the policy does not mean its worth a jot if the rider is not qualified.

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
Ah that may be so but I bet if you don't have a licence the insurer won't pay out on a claim. Insurance won't pay if you are drunk so why would they pay if you are not correctly licenced? Just because you can get the policy does not mean its worth a jot if the rider is not qualified.

TB,
VERY VERY good points!! Something I was not aware of either!! ( I never realized that payments are typically not made if one is drunk - that is news to me!! But probably for good reason, though Im sure it could go either way as the injured will want recourse for damage both bodily and property damage.) But I HATE HATE drunk drivers with a passion! Such a poor decision! Im so glad I do not even drink, ever!! Never started that habit...

Not having insurance pay out in the event of an occurance is or should be a major qualifying factor - and certainly is to me! Not worth the risk.
Thanks for the heads up on that fact Boss!

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
Just get the license/insurance. It's not bad.. I just took a class, got my learners, and after X amount of hours got the license. The tests are mindless. In Manhattan your chances of hitting a pedestrian/car and injuring yourself AND them. And you'll be on a visa id assume.. So you don't want to get in trouble with that. I nearly get hit everyday by people not paying attention driving in Manhattan. Seriously.. And people walk like morons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
TB,
VERY VERY good points!! Something I was not aware of either!! ( I never realized that payments are typically not made if one is drunk - that is news to me!! But probably for good reason, though Im sure it could go either way as the injured will want recourse for damage both bodily and property damage.) But I HATE HATE drunk drivers with a passion! Such a poor decision! Im so glad I do not even drink, ever!! Never started that habit...

Not having insurance pay out in the event of an occurrence is or should be a major qualifying factor - and certainly is to me! Not worth the risk.
Thanks for the heads up on that fact Boss!
You gotta remember that your insurers are there to protect you not to protect whoever you hit. If you are the at fault driver and not doing your part (ie: operating the vehicle in a safe manner which implies that you are sober and trained) they won't help you. The aggrieved party (or their insurers who will have paid them prior to taking it out of your hide) can still sue you and when they win (and if you were pissed/untrained they will) you will spend the rest of your life paying for it. Of course if you have a house or other saleable chattels the courts will simply take that, sell it and settle the judgment that way.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
Thanks for all the info guys, I definitely wanna keep it all legit! So il just have to do my test there, which sounds like it's an easier process than I have here. Plus I didn't think of the consequences of actually coming off what with the us health system, better safe than sorry eh