• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 5007 DOA

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
Hey all,

Anyone else have movement issues with their 5007?

I actually bought this from Toro about a month ago and put it in a drawer while I waited for a strap to arrive.
It arrived today so I put it on and wound the watch for the first time.

I noticed that the seconds sub wheel did not start up so I kept winding. I wound until the power meter was at full - still nothing.
Then I noticed that the balance wheel did not move so I took off the back cover.
I found a small voilet washer stuck to the inside of the clear case-back.
Not sure where it belongs. It also seems to my untrained eye that the mainspring is not fully wound.

I already contacted Toro. I have a local watch smith that I'll bring it to tomorrow, but any help would be appreciated.

POWER METER IS FULL:

HERE'S THE SMALL WASHER THAT WAS STUCK TO THE GLASS CASEBACK:

DOES THAT SPRING LOOK ODD?

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
I hope you get it sorted mate. I've just got 2 IWC 7 days coming back from Ryan after repair. I hope to god these last this time. I will be placing BOTH on a winder to ensure they are working/stable.

If they break again I will be sending them back again for either a swap with different watches or a refund.

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
That hairspring is dead... Sorry to hear that

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
The "violet washer " might be a jewel bearing ????

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Guys what are you seeing in the hairspring ?

It looks fine to me.......
u2yYtJz.jpg

rhc22

26/11/11
That is the decorative ruby from the rotor, if you look at your 3rd image it is missing from the centre of the rotor. Along with the ruby there is a small stud that holds it in place by the little forked plate.
You can also see the stud is missing so I would expect that it is stuck in the movement somewhere hence why it won't run.
You could get a loupe an see if you can see it lodged anywhere then try and extract it. Often if bits are loose inside they get knocked inside around the balance wheel area.
If you can't see it then it will need partial disassembling until it is found.

shewie

Renowned Member
27/9/14
London
Yes, now I see more detailed, sorry on the phone it looked like broken somewhere beneath the bridge, yes it does looks fine indeed. Sorry for misinformation.

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
Thanks guys. I'll look around for a loose part. If I can't find it, I'll bring it to my watch Smith

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
Hey all. Just an update:
I brought the watch to a local Watch Smith who works on reps occasionally.
He could not fix the watch. He say's the power meter is stuck and so is the 2nd hand. He didn't want to get into tearing the watch apart and having to charge me for the work even though there was a possibility that the movement can't be fixed.

I had told Toro that if my Watch Smith could not fix it, I'd send it back to him. He agreed to send me a new one, so off it goes back to China.

After my initial post I went back and looked at the QC pictures from Toro and, lo and behold, there was the plastic bushing up against the case back (SEE PICTURE). This belongs in the middle of the balance wheel - held in by the small copper arm. I also discovered that the screw that holds the copper arm (that holds the plastic bushing) is stripped out and can't be tightened. Of all the reps I've purchased over the years, this is by far the worst one, quality wise, that I've ever come across. The watch is beautiful but the workmanship is shoddy.

HERE'S THE QC PICTURE FROM TORO:
THIS IS A GOOD LESSON - CHECK YOUR QC PICTURES VERY CAREFULLY.
I WOULD HAVE SAVED MYSELF A LOT OF HASSLE HAD I FOUND THIS:

rhc22

26/11/11
And this is the small stud from the centre that I suspect is somewhere in the movement.

mrjoe

22/8/15
That is insane! I've also had problems with my 5001 order. So I ended up getting a different one instead.

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
And this is the small stud from the centre that I suspect is somewhere in the movement.
Oh sh*t RHC. Good eye! I didn't even see that. Yep, that is probably the problem because I didn't see that when I opened her up.