• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buying from gumtree U.K

Woodster

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
30/8/12
Has anyone bought a watch off gumtree in the uk? I see the same watches being sold everyday, Rolex subs, APs and Cartier santos they are what look to me as good reps but I'm not sure? They Come with box and all paperwork. Why are these the common watches that everyone is selling? Do they bulk buy from somewhere?

There are also other watches on there that are really cheap reps. At around the £40 mark

rocketdogbert

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
11/10/13
Uk
If you can go and see it, you make the decision mate.
If it's postage only, forget it, buy m2m or TD here.

mrniceguy44

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/12/15
Ive seen a few of the gumtree reps in person and I wouldn't waste your money. You do get what you pay for especially on gumtree.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
I purchased my first rep from a UK seller on Gumtree.
It turned out to be a Noob Sub ceramic V5, very good QC and strong movement.
I collected in person and paid £220 which I know now is a fair price.
I wouldn't buy a £40 one I can only assume it would fall apart pretty quick.
I may have been lucky but if you collect than just don't pay if you don't feel it's worth the money.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex1975

Renowned Member
12/11/15
I have been looking through Gumtree a fair amount recently and there are several different standards available. Masses of "Canal St" quality at £30-50 where to be fair you can usually see the quality in the pictures. However there are also many Omega/Breitling/Rolex at £200-300 which look like the ETA's offered by our TD's here. The descriptions are often quite detailed and give full details of the movements etc. (and even in some cases guarantees).

Even though the fact that it seems decent quality reps are fairly readily available here in the UK (which is appealing), I personally don't feel that I know enough yet to take a punt on a Gumtree offered product, in case I get stitched up. I am for the forseeable future happy to order from China via the TD route.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Agreed, as I said I got my first from gumtree but the others I have all purchased from TD's.
I like the choice they offer and the wait isn't too bad to the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
yeah there are bog standard aliexpress £50 rolex reps on there at £100 etc, but you can tell half the adverts have lies, half of them claim to be "swiss movements" or even swiss made and some are claiming they are eta and only prices at £100ish in the box, very doubtful unless its used .. I think half of them are dummies and think because the hand (kind of) sweeps then its swiss. lol

and yeah higher end eta being sold at £400 £500 which you can easily get from a TD cheaper.

if you are willing to pay someone their profit so you can see it before you buy it that's your decision.

check this geezer out, 65 watches for sale and who pays that! must be mad...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mens-watches/rolex-gmt-ii-black-rare-swiss-eta-3135-movement/1148688262

Dusk

I'm Pretty Popular
9/5/14
Gulf Coast of Florida
yeah there are bog standard aliexpress £50 rolex reps on there at £100 etc, but you can tell half the adverts have lies, half of them claim to be "swiss movements" or even swiss made and some are claiming they are eta and only prices at £100ish in the box, very doubtful unless its used .. I think half of them are dummies and think because the hand (kind of) sweeps then its swiss. lol

and yeah higher end eta being sold at £400 £500 which you can easily get from a TD cheaper.

if you are willing to pay someone their profit so you can see it before you buy it that's your decision.

check this geezer out, 65 watches for sale and who pays that! must be mad...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mens-watches/rolex-gmt-ii-black-rare-swiss-eta-3135-movement/1148688262

Well shit me. Rolex now use ETA movements. This guy is hot shit when it comes to horology

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
What I meant was it seems there are lot of people there CLAIMING that they have swiss eta when they look like a canal st run of the mill fake with obvious flaws, Iv'e messaged a few of them asking if its asian eta or swiss eta or which movement specifically and they haven't got a clue what i'm asking.

Dusk

I'm Pretty Popular
9/5/14
Gulf Coast of Florida
What I meant was it seems there are lot of people there CLAIMING that they have swiss eta when they look like a canal st run of the mill fake with obvious flaws, Iv'e messaged a few of them asking if its asian eta or swiss eta or which movement specifically and they haven't got a clue what i'm asking.

Sorry bud if you thought I was nipping at you I was referring to the seller in the link that you posted ;-)